Mason City woman after dope arrest: “Yes, I smoke marijuana. DEAL WITH IT.”

This news story was published on January 22, 2014.

hemp marijuanaMASON CITY – A local woman who police arrested for drug possession wasn’t shy about admitting her transgressions in the aftermath of her arrest.

“Yes, I smoke marijuana,” 21-year-old Christi Hernandez said in the hours after she was released from the county jail. “DEAL WITH IT.”

Hernandez made her remarks via social media, where she claims to be a Kaplan University tutor and Advocare Independent Distributor.

Hernandez was busted Tuesday morning at about 10:38 AM by Mason City police during a traffic stop not far from her Cultural Crescent area home. She was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana and taken to the Cerro Gordo County Jail.  She later posted $1,000 surety bond.

A court date for Hernandez was set for February 7, 2014.

Christi Hernandez SUBJECT IS INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY

Christi Hernandez
SUBJECT IS INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY

225 Responses to Mason City woman after dope arrest: “Yes, I smoke marijuana. DEAL WITH IT.”

1. Kiitten Reply Report comment

June 9, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Anyone lookin to burn with a cutie (just friends) hit back with a phone number and ill txt ya.
    Ps. I live in iowa right neat mason city silly boyz,
    There are stoners everywhereeeeeee

2. Ben Reply Report comment

January 26, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Here is a pic of what the majority of people standing in line at pot shops in Colorado look like.

January 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Looks like SUCKS and Philly. Just some more American Deadbeats.

January 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Any population sampling is going to come up with a variety of different folks. How about you sample all the diversity of humans who use alcohol? Well, you will have your President and First lady, you will have Senators, Congressman, College Professors, Executives, Bankers, Lawyers, Doctors, Police Officers, Military Enlistees and Officers, Generals, and guess what? You’ll have homeless people, deranged people, criminals, poor low income, uneducated people, etc.

Your photo is specious. Man I love that word lately.

3. as seen from here Reply Report comment

January 26, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hey Spock, your words are just as stupid as the real Spock. You wanna support all the dead beats that’s your prerogative. As for me and a country trying to survive, your credo only promotes more dependancy, laziness, broken families,crime, and lack of reason to amount to something good for everybody. Wake up and look around when you manage to recognize facts! Look around your town, how’s employment, crime, growth, drug use, immorality doin’? That’s due to you and your ilk.

• Mr. Spock Reply Report comment

January 26, 2014 at 8:46 am

No, your way does all that. As proof I offer, “because that’s the way we’ve been doing it”

And look what we have.

And it’s obvious that if you think the real Mr. Spock isn’t very smart. Then you probably don’t think anyone is very smart but you and FOX news.

• Mr. Spock Reply Report comment

January 26, 2014 at 8:48 am

You exfoliate your logic from a point of fear, rather then reason. And this is never a good thing.

4. Joe Dirt Reply Report comment

January 25, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Simple solution. You can’t pass a drug test like the working no government money. It’s your right to destroy your body but not my responsibility to pay for the medical bills.

January 25, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I agree

January 25, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I’d be willing to agree with that, but you need to clarify a few things. You mentioned medical bills, so does this mean no Title 19 Medicaid? I’m assuming you also mean no Section 8 Housing, no food stamps, no aid to dependent children, no WIC, no SSI, no SSDI? It gets complicated when dealing with disability, because in some cases marijuana is used as a treatment. I’m also assuming you are willing to extend these prohibitions to alcohol, cigarettes, high fructose corn syrup, junk food etc since they are related to medical incursions.

I’m not trying to be a wise ass. I generally agree with your statement, but it’s complicated and your point needs specification if it’s really to be implemented into policy.

I have always said mothers who present to the welfare office after their first child needing help, should be forced to put in the Norplant to stop them from having another child while they are receiving assistance for the first. I think you could reasonably prohibit someone from receiving food stamps who fails a drug test and alcohol test, but it gets complicated when you extend these bans into the medical realm…because you’d have to also include so many unknown variables, like environmental toxins, whether they smoke cigs, or drink alcohol etc. Lots of people get lung cancer who never even smoke. It’s complicated.

I’d say omit the medical aspect of your prohibition, include food stamps and require the women to get Norplants, and I’d even be willing to extend that to a male contraceptive as well, if one is made that functions like the Norplant…but that is only in the case where it’s confirmed the male has a child he cannot take care of.

Writing policy is complicated isn’t it?

• Mr. Spock Reply Report comment

January 26, 2014 at 6:58 am

No it’s not YOUR responsibility, it’s EVERYONES! The world turns on no one person. And since you must live with others in society. We must make choices that benefit the whole, rather then just the few or the one.

• Iowa Sucks Reply Report comment

January 26, 2014 at 8:14 am

One problem, it’s a violation of the constitution to single out recipients plus it costs us more. How about testing for all government employees including congress and the President?
      They need to know what its like to pee in a cup like a chump.

January 26, 2014 at 8:25 am

I think you’re right thinking this deeper, because ultimately this notion that drugs themselves are the problem is a lie…an obfuscation from getting to what really matters: The financial layout for our system. However, I do see that women should be able to be controlled in their continuous reproduction rates, if they present asking for welfare. That’s only common sense isn’t it? Why should a woman be allowed to continually get pregnant if she cannot support the first child…or second or third for that matter?

5. Just Say Cover Up Reply Report comment

January 24, 2014 at 9:49 am

Look here’s what long term association with Fox News will do to you. Poor Jerry…

Nearly in the same category as all those dirty phone calls O’reilly made and had to pay 4 million to shut the bitch up.

January 24, 2014 at 10:12 am

Like anyone would pay any attention to what a drugger like you put on here. The one thing you people do well is lie. That is because you have had so much practice.

6. Nugget Reply Report comment

January 24, 2014 at 9:23 am

@lvs-go *** UNACCEPTABLE LANGUAGE DELETED BY NIT STAFF *** Its our body our choice (Roe vs Wade)
    *** UNACCEPTABLE LANGUAGE DELETED BY NIT STAFF *** Your probably happy our prisons are filling up with non violent drug offenders while the pedophiles are just getting a slap on the hand with less or no jail time than a drug offender! Alcohol & cigarettes are 2 of the biggest causes of death! But yet they are still legal for us to poison ourselves with! Can you explain that one to me cuz it doesnt make any sense to me!

January 24, 2014 at 9:33 am

@nugget-it doesn’t make any sense to you because you are stupid. You are the one who is making the choice to break the law and to damage your body to the point the rest of us have to take care of you. You are a miserable excuse for a human being. Nothing but a damn unproductive leach. It is not your choice and Roe vs Wade has nothing to do with a dope head like you. You are nothing but a criminal that should be locked up away from decent people. With any luck you will O.D. so we don’t have to pay for your sorry a##.

7. Purgatory Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Whatever you want to call her or whatever side of the picture you are looking at, I think its the way she poorly handled the situation that speaks for itself. If she had been pulled over for drunk driving or underage drinking and said “DEAL WITH IT” it still screams bad judgment call on her part and she will probably have to deal with that irregardless of what is or is not posted on here. People are so wrapped up in whatever their stance is on drugs that they are missing the fact that her behavior is going to cost her either way.

• Not Right Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 4:57 pm

This is different because pot crime is a crime in which the defendant holds the moral high ground.

Yes it’ll cost her and that’s vey unfortunate. It didn’t cost the last 3 presidents did it?

January 23, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Whatever you want to call her or whatever side of the picture you are looking at, I think it’s the way she poorly handled the situation that speaks for itself. If she had been arrested for drinking out of a white person’s fountain or using a white’s only bathroom,and said “DEAL WITH IT”, it still screams bad judgment call on her part, and she will probably have to deal with that irregardless of what is or is not posted on here. People are so wrapped up in whatever their stance is on segregation that they are missing the fact that her behavior is going to cost her either way.

Dedicated to Rosa Parks December 1, 1955 and Christi Hernandez January 21, 2014

• stunned viewer Reply Report comment

January 24, 2014 at 12:01 am

Philosophus, I think you have something against this young woman. Why can’t you just let it go? You’re a creepy old bastard, please leave this young woman alone. You’ve fully expressed your dislike for her, its time to move the hell on.

• Not Right Reply Report comment

January 24, 2014 at 12:16 am

He’s quoting the previous post. Get it?

• Reflections of Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Who you trying to convince? Me, or yourself?

January 23, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I’m a fair and open minded man. I am thinking about adopting an anti-marijuana stance sometime next week and arguing against legalization. I’ll add up the score and see what wins. I don’t expect my anti-stance will last very long, but who knows. I’ll do my best to role play and method act a prosecuting attorney. Stay tuned.

8. stunned viewer Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Who the hell cares? Many times I see kids posting about all sorts of other illegal activities. If you even bother to read the comments, there are numerous other individuals commenting bragging about their own marijuana use as well. Why aren’t they posted and criminalized like Christi? You people have some audacity! If you’re so worried about her marijuana use and how it has absolutely no effect on you, I have a much better idea. Pay attention to your own goddamn families instead of trying to destroy a young woman’s reputation. You can’t highlight one person when there are millions of identical others. For real, there’s almost 200 comments of nothing but cat fights between people who do nothing but stir the pot! Ironically enough, this is pretty much the pots calling the kettle black. This woman has managed a successful career early in her life and also manages to be responsible enough to not need any government assistance, why can’t she choose pot over alcohol?

• Liberal Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Matt should be prosecuted for stalking for this crap.

January 24, 2014 at 5:23 am

@stunned viewer: I get that you’re upset your friend is on the front page of an internet newspaper, but you’re failing to realize there is a bigger debate going on here. This debate will continue with or without Christi. Take a moment. Breathe. Relax. Read through the posts carefully and you’ll understand most of us on here are supportive of Christi, not against her.

However, I’m going to warn you. The perception of intelligence levels is critical at this juncture. If you really cannot comprehend who is supportive of Christi, and who is not, it’s best you just keep quiet and let the experts handle this debate…for your beloved Christi’s sake. Why do I say this? Because powerful forces who can determine the fate of your beloved Christi are out there reading…and that includes prosecuting attorney, judges etc.

So if you believe in decriminalization of marijuana, and you want to see Christi have a favorable outcome in court…it’s best you grow a brain, and start understanding the meaning of these comments, or like I said…stay out of the debate.

Peace.

9. Michelle Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 2:55 pm

1. Anybody who believes that marijuana destroys the mind or body is really showing his age, or his lack of interaction with any cosmopolitan society. You are probably a baby boomer, have lived in one spot all of your life, and share the political, religious, and racist views of your parents. When the next generation takes over you will be sedated with pharmaceutical medicines and packaged away neatly, I’m sure. Really: Michael phelps? Steve jobs? What kind of information are you getting on your transistor radios? Baffling! A friend of mine smoked a joint every day in high school, took the ACT stoned and got a 36, got a full ride and an engineering degree. Maybe you just need to have more conversations outside your circle of friends.
    2. Calling all marijuana users a burden to society is a staggering generalization. Some are doctors, some are lawyers, professors, CEO’s, wildly successful entrepreneurs, athletes…some are billionaires for heaven’s sake. That’s like saying caffeine drinkers are society’s bane.

I’m excited to work toward policy change in Iowa. It’s nice out here in colorado, and I’m interested to see what they’ll do with up to an estimated 22 million in revenue from the industry in the first year, but I miss my family. I hope other youth campaign as well. In with the new! In the meantime you guys can pay to prosecute this girl. LOL @ some people’s priorities. Boy, you should see the way Denver’s exploding.

January 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Trust me, we are watching Denver and the rest of the state.

January 23, 2014 at 3:51 pm

At first you’ll be watching in a predatory fashion, hoping to nab travelers coming into Iowa. But slowly that predation will turn to study, and eventually cooperation with Colorado law enforcement agencies so Iowa Cops can figure out how to make it work here. You’re funny Maybe…revealing as well.

January 23, 2014 at 4:01 pm

You’re not as smart as you think you are. When I said I will be watching I meant it. I will be watching what good things come from it and what bad things come from it.

January 23, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Who’s the “we” then? Maybe are you hoping people will believe you are connected to law enforcement or are you really connected and just slipped up?

January 23, 2014 at 4:09 pm

OMG, “We” isn’t your precious is it?

January 23, 2014 at 4:29 pm

well excuse me, I guess I will have to watch every word I write then cause it might be taken the wrong way.

• Not Right

January 23, 2014 at 4:59 pm

He wants you to think he speaks for more than just himself.

January 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm

@Philly-get off it. “maybe” is right. It has been all over the news and your buddy Pals was even on the news telling everyone smart enough to listen that they are watching all the airports and borders as well as all the Interstates coming out of Colorado and other Western states. That doesn’t make him a cop, it just makes him intelligent.

10. Iowa Sucks Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Where did the whiners forum link go? Oh well, I’ll put it here since everyone’s here anyway! LOL

To all my Iowans on this very cold deep winter day, I give you a very special version of Surfer Girl.

11. Iowa Sucks Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Christi don’t let the Reagan babies get you down. Reagan babies are kids who grew up with just say no and were imprinted at a young age like chicks who follow their mother, Matt being one.

You are the modern day Rosa Parks and you are tired of having to sit in the back of the bus. Good for you!

12. Iowa Sucks Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 10:44 am

Christy, I smoked POT and liked it a LOT!

13. just my observation Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 10:26 am

Why should branstead get free pass on his kid. But everybody else goes to jail. I’ve been random tested so many times I can’t count them all. I worked in the most heavily regulated industry in america. There were randoms give in 4 to 5 times a week. Saw a lot of alcohol positives and to a lesser amount drugs. Know of 4 or 5 guys right her in mason city that lost there jobs because they used alcohol and missed so many days they had to be let go. Yet I know of no one in my 40yrs in this industry because they missed work because of pot. Right or wrong this is what I observed and for your info I was a manager in this industry and was following company policy on giving the randoms. Alcohol and drugs know no political boundaries. your use of liberal potheads shows you know squat about the drug problem in america only what you see on fox entertainment station. Also seems there are alot of red states for medical marijuana. Look at nebraska its not legal but its just a ticket up to a ounce no jail time. Last I checked thats a pretty red state.

• Iowa Sucks Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 10:55 am

Because Branstads GOP like LVS that’s why.

14. just my observation Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 10:06 am

LVS lets just say I worked in a very heavily regulated industry (transportation). These were all random drug test that checked for alcohol and illegal substances. I am a little more open minded than you.( I would like to know how a person can vote for branstead when he did not support putting his kid in jail for his substance abuse. Last I knew he was a republican or maybe he was was a liberal pothead back then. He is like the kettle calling the pot black. I despise people in power that if it happens to their family its ok. But if it happen to your family you go to jail. I believe the kid was in a car wreck in missouri and got to go to some military school than to jail where every other kid would end up. This is the true definition of a hypocrite) Just for your info I have taken lots of random drug and alcohol test. I also am as old as you and believe proof is in the pudding its time to rethink our war on drugs. It makes billionares out of the cartels and criminals out of our own people. This is not a conservative or liberal problem as you would like to make it. I can tell you this there are as many republican users as there are democratic users. The only difference is the democrats speak out and republicans hide. But this is changing. I believe the speaker of the house gave is support for medical marijuana just a couple of weeks ago. Drugs are a society problem and not a political problem that you want it to be.

• Truth Serum Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 10:10 am

Branstad’s kid carried a Monopoly “Get out of jail free” card to court and he was right, he did have a get out of jail free card.

15. Truth Serum Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 10:04 am

It’s funny, all these so called conservatives really want government to control our lives in our own homes. FAKE just like FOX news.

16. just my observation Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 9:25 am

More people lost their jobs where I worked because of alcohol. These were the good old boys the ones that called out the potheads. Had a small business owner tell me he’d rather hire a pot smoker over a drinker any day. The drinker would be hungover and non productive out all night tired when they came to work. The pot smokers would go fishing or hang out at the parks come to work and be ready to give you a full days work. Alcohol cause more lost work days than all drugs combined. Plus the day after the super bowl more people miss work than any other time and ‘ll bet it ain’t from weed. The federal government did a good job of demonizing pot. The corporations took the clue to assault the working middle class on pot. LVS why don’t you call for all senators and congressmen be tested. How about Bransteads kid when he was in that accident and it got swept under the rug. There are just as many republican potheads as there are democratic potheads in power. It is about votes and the police state we now livin.

January 23, 2014 at 9:29 am

@observation-I don’t know where you worked but in my 50 years in manufacturing we considered alcohol and drugs as one and the same in the plant. The problem with pot is it is harder to detect. You can smell the alcohol. I don’t know who ever told you that but he didn’t know what he was talking about. Or else it is another made up story. You dopers are good at making them up. It goes right along with the lies you tell.

• Truth Serum Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 10:00 am

What a ridiculous and childlike response LVS. The problem here is that you’re just not that bright.

January 23, 2014 at 10:03 am

And, you are a Special Kind of STUPID.

• Truth Serum

January 23, 2014 at 10:07 am

You’re like a child with Downs syndrome calling everyone retarded.

• Amanda

January 23, 2014 at 1:14 pm

WHOA! Truth Serum, your comment is both disrepectful & inappropriate…on more than one level. How icky of you.

17. Delila Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 9:12 am

It’s odd how this young little girl. Seems to strike fear at the core of the crazy right so much. She must represent the tipping point for everyone in their mind.— And you know what, that ain’t a bad call. Cause it is about right. The mainstreaming of cannabis is here. And those that eat of it’s fruits. Will be richly rewarded not only in good health, but with large amounts of $$$$$$$ as well. Helping everyone, young and old, black and white etc.

18. Joe Dirt Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 8:31 am

If you have ever had to work by one of these brain dead dopers after they went out and smoked their lunch you would see the reality of the effects of this drug. Red eyes and a total lack of any ability to make an intelligent decision endangering their life and the lives of everyone working around them. Of course most of them have destroyed their bodies and don’t work anyway.

January 23, 2014 at 8:35 am

@Joe Dirt-You are absolutely correct. That is why company’s have the no drug policy’s and that is why the dope heads are dredges on society and live off the welfare system. I hope they all try sizzurp. That will solve our problems.

• Jerk Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 9:06 am

What do you mean no drug policies. You can’t get a job other then paper route for the globe, without taking a drug test in iowa.

All you do is ignore facts, and keep repeating Fox News. Why don’t you get a brain and impress everyone.

January 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

read it again jerk and stop looking for a fight. he said they have a “no drug policy”.

January 23, 2014 at 9:25 am

@jerk-did you smoke to much of that funny crap last night? You can’t even read. I said they CAN”T get a job because the company’s all have a no drug policy. And guess what. That is not just Iowa. Your buddy’s in Colorado are going to find they can’t get a job either. There are penalty’s for being a brain dead pot head.

• bodacious

January 23, 2014 at 11:17 am

Many of those companies that presently have drug testing as part of their hiring process are considering changing their restrictions to include opiates and amphetamines. They are considering removing marijuana from the list.

• Laugh Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 9:03 am

Nobodies drunk on the job where you work though right?

January 23, 2014 at 9:36 am

Your argument is specious. Just as employers require employees not to be drunk on the job (unless they don’t care), so too most employment situations won’t allow Cannabis use. Additionally, just as a person could drink one alcoholic drink and plausibly be able to continue working, a person could “puff” a small hit of marijuana and more than likely be able to continue working; all contingent upon that person’s tolerance and experience with the substance. As the alcohol levels increase, so too theoretically an impairment to job performance, and if a person were to continue smoking marijuana…you get the idea. They follow each other…only in different ways. It also matters as to the type of strain of Cannabis involved I’m told as to what the effect will be. Coffee baristas understand different beans of coffee and different roasts produce different results in their clients. Massage therapists know that invigorating massages produce different results than relaxing massages.

Each employer will set their own policy as to what is tolerable. In some cases of public safety, I suppose it will be prudent to ban Cannabis use, and require drug testing. IN other jobs, perhaps Cannabis use could be tolerable and perhaps even DESIRED, such as in an artist studio, guitar making studio, graphic design studio…etc.

That is up to the employer and the worker. Not every job involves matters of critical public safety. Obviously Taxi Driver: No…Surgeon: No, Bus Driver: No

Does this make sense or do you want to continue down your path of ignorant and deliberate obfuscation?

January 23, 2014 at 9:46 am

By your own argument if a bus driver or a taxi driver cannot use pot then there might be a problem with it. If it effects them that much then it will effect everybody almost the same. That is unless you are an everyday drug user then 1 joint wouldn’t effect you that much but the problem is they never stop, the reason to smoke pot is for the numbing feeling.

• Truth Serum Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 10:03 am

Now you’re pretending to know what the feeling is? Alcohol numbs you, cannabis makes you feel even more.

• LVS

January 23, 2014 at 10:05 am

That is an out and out lie. If you can’t defend your position without lying get the hell off the site. I am sick of you liberal pot heads.

January 23, 2014 at 10:22 am

I have never smoked pot in my life but I have had a few friends that did and all of them told me that they smoked it to feel numb.

• Iowa Sucks

January 23, 2014 at 10:53 am

Well, if your two friends said it than it must be fact. …rolls eyes…

January 23, 2014 at 10:57 am

The thing is sucks is that I have a few friends that did drugs tell me they are bad and now I have you here that does drugs that tells me that they are good. I think you spent too much time on the floor, roll eyes.

January 23, 2014 at 10:49 am

@Maybe, I would not agree to your assessment as to the reasons of why most people smoke Cannabis. I cannot say as to the reasons why everyone smokes. Some perhaps do smoke to try and achieve some sort of “buzz”, or to “numb themselves”. As I have stated, different strains of Cannabis allegedly produce different results. Some use Cannabis to sharpen their senses, focus, hear music better, intellectually ponder, relax, sleep, spiritually renew, or gain relief from medical conditions. As far as this argument about something being wrong with marijuana just because it would not be appropriate to use while driving a bus or taxi. I would simply point to the warning labels on medications such as sleeping medications or hydro, which state not to operate heavy machinery or drive an automobile under the influence, or until you know the effects on your own body. How can a pharmaceutical medication be given such benefit of the doubt, yet a medicinal herb cannot? At least your points and counterpoints are helping to weed through all the faulty and specious arguments that many people are plagued by. This is precisely how the tool of debate is to correctly be used.

January 23, 2014 at 10:54 am

I’ve only known a dozen or so people that smoked pot and they all said the same thing, it wasn’t till listening to you guys on here saying how great it is. I will admit that I am ignorant when it comes to drugs, all I go by is what the users tell me and it wasn’t good till you guys so it makes me wonder who is actually telling me the truth.

• Iowa Sucks

January 23, 2014 at 10:57 am

YOU AND YOUR FREINDS ARE IDIOTS. That explains it.

January 23, 2014 at 11:01 am

At least my friends grew up and are responsible now and not a drudge on society.

January 23, 2014 at 11:07 am

Well first of all, I don’t promote marijuana use as being great. I don’t even condone its use by everyone. I do however understand that prohibiting its use, and attempting to eradicate it from the planet is ethically and environmentally wrong on about every level, including ecological, social, spiritual and legal reasons. I also understand that marijuana/cannabis use has different effects on people depending on different strains used, different times and settings in which it is being used, and accompanying reasons or states of mind users possess before going into the state of cannabis influence.

IN other words, if you are drunk already, Cannabis is going to have a different effect. If you just woke up in the morning refreshed, it’s going to have a different effect. There are a lot of complicated factors that go into producing a cannabis effect, that cannot be easily pinpointed, or replicated.

All of this however is irrelevant to why I want the government to no longer prosecute and prohibit the plant. I believe ecologically and spiritually human beings are more mature than our government gives us credit for, and I want the option to possess, grow, use a medicinal herb if I so chose to, without fear of government reprisal. Likewise I would extend this privilege and right to poppy plants and coca leaves. The government has no right restricting or prohibiting naturally occurring botanicals. It’s obscene and it needs to end.

Are you able to at least understand my argument and reasoning even if you don’t agree with it? I want to at least know Maybe that you understanding my points.

January 23, 2014 at 11:13 am

You said “at least me and my friends didn’t grow up a drudge on society”.

There are some who would argue you and your friends grew up much worse…as killers and ecological destroyers of animal, plant, and human life in our environment. It is possible to make such an argument against you and your friends you know. It’s all in whose perspective you and your friends are being viewed by.

January 23, 2014 at 11:14 am

So are you saying that opium is good too?

January 23, 2014 at 11:16 am

I grew up on the farm, I also spent most of my life hunting, so am I a dredge on society?

January 23, 2014 at 11:30 am

I don’t know. Did you and your friends go into villages, cities, rural areas and blow things up, destroy property, and kill human life?

From some non-American perspectives and some American perspectives that would place you and your friends in a category far worse than simply “a drudge” as you put it. The words Eco-Terrorist, Political Assassins, and Hit Men For Hire could apply depending on whose perspective is being consulted.

It’s all in the perspective.

January 23, 2014 at 11:33 am

Ok now I think you have totally lost it, I have no idea where your mind just went.

January 23, 2014 at 11:44 am

I’m saying that depending on the perspective actions can be viewed in different lights. You and LVS may see marijuana use as criminal. But in that same token, there are people who view what you and the United States Military did as criminal. You can shout back and say “NO IT ISN’T”. And those who use marijuana can shout back and say (marijuana use) “No it isn’t”. But since marijuana users are in the minority as oppressed and don’t have the full weight of the law, men with guns and men who build and operate prisons behind them…they have to say it much softer.

January 23, 2014 at 11:51 am

If a person feels that members of the military are criminals, sounds like Vietnam all over again, those people are liberals that have taken too many drugs and have given a whole new meaning to the word ignorance.

January 23, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’m not saying you are. I’m saying that depending on the perspective you could be viewed that way. It’s all in the perspective. You view marijuana use as being criminal. That’s your perspective. There are others who don’t.

January 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I guess you are right, in a drug filled anti American perspective I could seem like a criminal.

• Iowa Sucks

January 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Maybe suffered head trauma. He says just because their are scientific studies and someone said or typed the report doesn’t make them true. However his pothead friends telling him about pot are facts in his simple childlike mind.

Nuff said…

January 23, 2014 at 12:41 pm

So I do what you do and I suffer head trauma yet it’s fine for you to do?

• Iowa Sucks

January 23, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Pot doesn’t kill brain cells you idiot, alcohol does.

January 23, 2014 at 12:53 pm

First of all Maybe, if you really have suffered head trauma I am willing to to write out as low and slow as I need to go (yes that rhymes) for you to comprehend it. I’m not the kind of person who would use someone’s physical or mental disability to my advantage to score blog points.

However, your allegation that marijuana use causes or potentially can cause head trauma on par with your war wounds is ludicrous. I’m not familiar with the specific injuries you incurred, and I understand that any combustible smoke has potentially oxygen depriving effects on human cells, but I would like to hear more of your specific symptoms before I would dare to believe marijuana use causes brain damage.

Do you care to elaborate on your injuries? It’s hard to tell who is suffering from what, when it comes to blogging, because I see many misspellings, and bad English usage from not only you but also LVS, and there are a variety of circumstances that cause people to make grammatical errors. However, some of the comments and line of reasoning can be extrapolated to suggest some of these bloggers are quite simple minded human beings…almost child-like. You Maybe, are actually one of the more literate and intelligent ones. But then I notice you fade into simplicity sometimes. Without knowing you, is this part of your head injury or are you just simple?

You see how difficult that question is to pose without seeming taunting or rude?

Anyway, I sense a curiosity in your personality that is much more refreshing and promising than the staunch stalwart, no-funny-business LVS. That’s not a crack against LVS, it’s just an observation and assessment to his presumed characteristics.

• Iowa Sucks

January 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Arguing with Maybe on the internet is like running in the special Olympics. Even if you win, you’re still retarded. LOL

January 23, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Now you really have me confused, where did I say that smoking pot will cause head trauma on the par of my head wounds?

January 23, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Hey sucks, by putting me down, does that make you feel better about yourself?

January 23, 2014 at 1:08 pm

@Maybe, I guess your sentence was just incoherent then. I tried my best to understand what you meant:

“So I do what you do and it causes head trauma…??”

What? Please rewrite that one.

January 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Sucks comes at me with all these research articles and experience and tells me how good drugs are for you so I come back with testimony from friends and he says I have head trauma because I believe my friends when he does the same thing and expects me to believe him.

January 23, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Uh, how can I put this delicately? That’s a non-sequitur what you just uttered. Research articles and direct experience outweigh hearsay by friends. He’s making fun of you because you would believe friends who dabbled in smoking marijuana over science and experiencing it for yourself before you rendered a verdict. DO NOT mistake this as I am pushing you to try marijuana. I AM NOT. I’m merely making a point.

I sincerely believe that if people want to try marijuana for the first time they need to be in a safe and secure location with an experienced user confidant whom you can trust, and a pleasant environment, enriched with interesting things to do. Best is to be in a natural setting such as the woods or by a lake in warm and nice weather.

But these are all just suggestions and my surmising what I think would be appropriate. It’s probably specific to each user, and varies according to one’s personal tastes.

If I were to use marijuana, I would want to be in a naturally serene setting. But it’s not legal here, so I won’t use it until it is legal. I don’t blame however those who do make the choice to use illegally. Someone has to keep the suffrage alive.

January 23, 2014 at 1:51 pm

If a person looks for something hard enough he will find it, wither it is there or not. Her says because he does drugs and is fine then they must be fine, and he says I have head trauma. Then he makes fun of me because I mentioned Dr Savage yet his doctors say nothing but the truth. To coin a phrase that a so called wise man once said, “Well, if your two friends said it than it must be fact. …rolls eyes”.

January 23, 2014 at 10:02 am

It is not set up by the company’s. There liability insurance sets the rules. All they need is for some pot head to get caught in a machine and hurt or killed and then their family comes back and sues the company. Any company without a drug and alcohol policy is stupid.

January 23, 2014 at 11:25 am

So you condone banning a naturally occurring medicinal herbal plant just to satisfy potential insurance requirements for SOME companies? LVS, just because you undoubtedly spent your entire adult life working for someone else, doesn’t mean everyone else does. This isn’t 1950’s punch into the time clock America anymore. Many people have their own work-from-home businesses. Your views are seriously outdated.

January 23, 2014 at 11:31 am

We live in a society where a criminal commiting armed robbery is shot by a legally carrying citizen and the citizen is sued by the robbers family and wins. With that in mind if a person has an accident at work after smoking pot the odds that he sues the company is probably very high.

January 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I will agree with you Maybe, that if someone enters into a home to rob, rape,or kill, they have forfeited all rights to their life. Unfortunately the right to protect your home is being perverted due to certain legal cases where it’s not so cut and dry clear as to whether the intruder was a family member or a robber. In other words, some deviant people have used Castle Doctrine to shoot and kill family members of friends they didn’t like, and then claimed to police they thought them as intruders. To deter this, lawmakers and judges placed a high burden of proof on the homeowner doing the shooting. Life is complicated.

19. Really Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 7:41 am

It’s amazing how all you dopers have nothing else to do but blog!! Get a job.

• Fool Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 9:07 am

Are you admitting to being a doper then? Or just not being to brite?

20. as seen from here Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 6:49 am

Sure is a lot of comments from DOPERS on here, your not fooling anybody with your erroneous doper facts and statements! DOPERS, POT HEADS, NARCOTIC USERS, AND GENERALLY USELESS AMOEBAS…..PERIOD!

21. rahmbo Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 1:48 am

What a joke this town is. Marijuana possession makes headlines in this so-called online newspaper which fancies itself as politically courageous, but mostly revels in small-time nonsense.

The good news is that Mason City is a dying town, in a dying county.

• Marco Polo Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 3:10 am

If you think Mason is a dying city. You should get in your car, and just start driving south. Once you get past Des Moines, you’ll get a new view of what’s happening.

Or take a trip through the rust belt.

For if you did, you would see that Mason, is more
      of an oasis, in a vast desert of what’s happening to the underside of rural America.

Get a clue that’s why you see all these blacks pouring in from wrecked cities like Detroit…

• rahmbo Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I am not a native of Iowa, and have been all over the US. As far as Detroit goes–it has wealthy booming suburbs that make Dallas County look like Manly. That you say MC is a magnet for inner city Detroiters (which I don’t really think is the case at all) says more about MC than it does Detroit. The majority of migrant Detroiters head south.

Cerro Gordo county lost more population from 2000 to 2010 than any other county in the state, and Iowa is hardly a model of population growth. Its growth rate is right down there with Mississippi’s.

22. Iowa Sucks Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 12:38 am

A Majority of Americans Now Support Marijuana Legalization

January 23, 2014 at 1:27 am

I would say the majority of liberals yes.

• Iowa Sucks Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 1:45 am

Keeping government out of our lives is a conservative issue.

January 23, 2014 at 12:20 am

There is only about 10 people babbling about the this wonderful garbage called dope. That philofapus nutcase who goes on and on about nothing is on here with a ba-jillion other names. I doubt most people approve of dope but the vocal ones who are all hyped up on their dope are making all the noise so people think their dope use is ok.

Not

24. Rastaman Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 12:00 am

Sheriff Kevin pals always hated me…for what? I don’t know. Every time I plant a seed, he said kill it before it grows, kill it before it grows.

25. Lovely Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 11:17 pm

CVS…LVS…SAME.EFFING DIFFERENCE

26. Lovely Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 11:13 pm

p @LVS…SO YOUR IDENTITY IS PETER… WELL YO MOMMA SHOULD HAVE NAMED YOU DICK!..
    LMAO… NOW PUMP YOUR BRAKES..
    LIKE SOMEONE SAID EARLIER,
    YOU LIVE IN MASON SHITTY! WHY DONT YOU COME ON DOWN TO DALLAS TEXAS AND WE WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! , THIS IS MY DAUGHTER…YOU ARE TREATING LIKE CRAP…WHY DONT YOU JUST STEP OFF …YOU SOUND LIKE A WHINING LITTLE BI@#&….WHO DONT KNOW MUCH OF ANYTHING EXCEPT HOW TO GOSSIP..IN MY WORLD YOU ARE A BAD JOKE…

• Rastaman Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Your daughter is an angel sent from heaven. When enough angels come, they’re going to take LVS home.

January 22, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Excuse me. LVS is Peter John Children? You’re kidding me. Really? All this time I’ve been talking to the Child? Whoah…get out.

January 23, 2014 at 8:32 am

@Philly-don’t be stupid. Peter Children would have cut you a new a## hole a long time ago. You never could hold a candle to that old man.

27. Rastaman Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Herb poised to expand and grow.

January 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm

@ CVS…SO.your real identity is Peter….well I must say your mother should have named you Dick..
    Lmao

29. TheRealFred Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Livin’ off the gubment and smokin the chronic. What a life. Thanks obama.

January 22, 2014 at 9:15 pm

That’s not the issue here Fred. The issue is whether or not a young woman’s life should be setback or destroyed because of her use of a naturally occurring botanical.

30. Observer Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:19 pm

As far as her silly comment, we are dealing with it. Time in jail and a criminal record to follow her the rest of her life. She makes choices, and she lives with it.

• Rastaman Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:23 pm

And you pay for it mon.

• Jane M. Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Your a fool, and I think probably already know it.

January 22, 2014 at 9:25 pm

#LVS: Your callous attitude towards humans beings for a crime that amounts to picking a wild plant, and inhaling the smoke from burning it, is beyond reproachable…it’s criminal. If we had the ability to LOCK YOU UP, I think many on here would exercise it. Think about that for a moment. Weigh it carefully in your mind. Do you so believe that burning a natural plant and inhaling the smoke is worthy of defaming and destroying young lives? Think beyond your belief in following what’s labeled a law. Think about the act itself: A wild, natural plant. Picking the plant in the woods, taking a lighter and burning it, and placing it under your nose and inhaling it.

If that is considered criminal to you, then there are people out there who are truly disturbed in their thinking processes. We should all be very afraid that people with such views walk amongst us.

January 22, 2014 at 9:29 pm

oops, I am so used to arguing with LVS. I meant #Observer.

31. Rastaman Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:03 pm

This generation is tired of riding in the back of the bus…God bless you mon.

32. same Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 4:25 pm

From my observations a pot head won’t get cocky and mouthy and want to fight you like a drunk will, a meth head, pill poppers will steal every thing from you, pot heads are not that desperate for the drug . With this said I don’t do drugs was around them a lot in high school of course I went to mchs the drug problem isnt just there I will tell there were more drugs at Newman then mchs. Class of 2001. So if this girl wants to come home and smoke a joint big deal alchol will kill a career faster then someone smoking pot

33. Petey John Childreno Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Here’s how it’s gonna be. Pot is legal, coming very soon to a theater near you! (If in fact it isn’t already there)

Nothin you can do about it either. So, you better leave the %$#%in country. And that ain’t a suggestion… you #^%$in capishe a$$#h01e ?

January 22, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Here in iowa pot is NOT legal, if they legalize it then so be it but I will still not touch it, my choice.

• Mar Lee Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Pot makes me too sleepy. I tried it over and over and over again and it just doesn’t do much for me except make me close my eyes. I wake up and can’t remember a thing.

January 22, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Yet some of these potheads say it is good for you, try driving with it.

• Use your brain

January 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm

You have no tolerance. Cigs will buzz your head up, and give you wild dreams when you first start smoking them…
            Even aspirin will give you a buzz if your not use to it.

And finally, everyone is different to some degree. So, some people will feel more of an effect then others in general.

• Rastaman Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:10 pm

But you wanna control my remote control mon. You want to control my choice.

34. as seen from here Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 3:46 pm

You can claim all the erroneous crap you want to but it “pot” alters the mind and that’s what people use it for! Same as with liquor. So enjoy either if you want, just be honest with yourself and others. Neither actually cure or heal anything and one is against the law in most places………for now. Tough to claim she shouldn’t be teaching, coaching, etc when we have a useless president that advocates it and anything else conducive to ruining this country and creates morons like cad, friend and Krista and their inane comments!

• You can't see very well Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 4:16 pm

How about hemp? It has no effects, other then maybe a headache.

In case you didn’t know, even hemp has medical value. And is used in the treating of children siezures.

• cad Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Well, you don’t run this country or our lives so if I want to smoke pot there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop it. It is 100% legal in Colorado and anyone can go there and buy it and smoke it…so get over it.

January 22, 2014 at 4:55 pm

If you need help moving just let us know.

• cad Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Don’t need to. I have the money to fly there everyday if I want. Bet you don’t. All you closed minded people can set and dream up ways to stifle the freedom of others but in reality there is nothing you can do about anything. We out number you. We will continue to fight and make it legal in Iowa, and laugh as you bitch and complain because you have no control.

• Observer

January 22, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Using illegal substances has nothing to do with freedom, it is about choices.

It’s nice to see you have the money to fly there every time you wish (but not out of Mason City since the service is almost non-existent). I suggest however if you want to keep more of your money, you move to Colorado and save the cost of flights.

And yes, we can stop you from smoking pot in Iowa and a majority of other states. As a matter of fact, if I knew a person that did dope, I would not hesitate to drop the dime on them each and every time I saw it.

• big d

January 22, 2014 at 5:52 pm

dude..your commenting from Mason City, podunk Iowa. Fly there every day?? HIGHly doubt it!!!!

• Columbo Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Your the one that’s going to be moving. I’m in full favor of jailing assholes like this that want to stop progress, and won’t keep their mouths shut.

• cad

January 22, 2014 at 5:33 pm

@Columbo Amen

January 22, 2014 at 5:34 pm

locking him up because he doesn’t believe the same as you, typical liberals s##t.

• cad

January 22, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Well isn’t that the same as locking people up for smoking pot? You don’t believe the same as we do so we go to jail. Stupid conservative s**t.

January 22, 2014 at 5:44 pm

OK let me say this so the stupid people can understand it, POT IS ILLEGAL IN IOWA, it doesn’t matter what I believe.

• Observer

January 22, 2014 at 5:44 pm

You call the purchase and use of a controlled substance, Illegal in all but two states, progress?

What’s next? Supporting rape? Murder? Incest? Drunk driving? I suppose you call them progress as well. All have one thing in common, they are criminal acts, contrary to law.

• LVS

January 22, 2014 at 6:37 pm

@columbo-I would love having you try to lock me up. I know who you are and I know what you are and mostly you are a coward.

35. Claire Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 3:11 pm

LOL whoever wrote this article, get with the times. marijuana hasn’t been called dope since 1950.

• Observer Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:06 pm

It is dope, and people who use it are also dopes.

36. Friend. Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I know this person personally. She has been a close friend of mine for several years and I have personally watch her fight tooth and nail to get to where she is today! She is one of the strongest most independent people I know! She was at her all time low and pulled herself out of a horrible situation and for you guys so quick to judge her for smoking some pot is rediculous! You don’t know her and for that I feel sorry for you. She always has a beautiful smile on her face! hands down an amazing person! How about all of you who are so quick to judge her for this sit down and have a conversation with her! You would feel absolutely ashamed for the horrible things you are saying about her! She is a damn hard worker and an awesome friend! Weather she smokes pot or not this doesn’t make her any less of these things! I love you Christi! Things will get better for you!

• Fox News Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Hey, first of all your a woman, talkin about another woman. Sounds like pure gossip, to us.

And we don’t want to hear anything, that we don’t wanna hear, you understand?

hehehehhehe

• Observer Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm

You can stick up for her illegal actions all you want. You will notice however, the most respected of people do not resort to illegal behavior like a drughead will. That is why they are so well respected.

37. krista Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Personally without stating my opinion I’ll state only fact.
    It is against the law to use drugs, hence the arrest.
    I do not think a tutor, teacher, coach or any other influential person should stay in that position after stating
    I broke the law deal with it

• cad Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Weed is legal in some states, so I don’t understand why people are still being arrested for it in Iowa. Ignorance most likely…get with the program Iowa.

January 22, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Ignorance is right, on your part.

• cad Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I am ignorant enough to get on a plane and fly to Colorado and go to a store by pot legally and smoke it legally.

January 22, 2014 at 2:44 pm

It’s interesting why a soldier who says he has injuries as a veteran of the Iraq debacle, has such a persistent interest in keeping marijuana illegal? Does that fit the MO of most soldiers? I’ve not seen ones that seem to care as much as this one does.

January 22, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I am NOT like other soldiers, I have morals and a respect for the law. There are many other soldiers out there that believe the same as me.

38. JMan Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 1:42 pm

cj

You got nothing to do except talk about people who talk about dopeheads. It’s just ironic that some person who promotes a supposed lifestyle like advocrap is a doper. I bet the head of Advocrap is proud. What a joke

39. cj Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 1:13 pm

You people have nothing to do besides talk about someone who has nothing to do with you? People get busted for pot every day, she is NO different!
    GET A LIFE

40. JMan Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Anonymous, we know where her career has led her. She is an Advocrap salesperson. Everyone in Mason City who lives off the welfare system or is making money off pyramiding poor peoples money sells Advocrap. Why is it that you need a 24 day challenge to start every year if the stuff works so great. Look at most of the people who peddle the crap. They are grossly still overweight or peddling their nonsense!!

• Christi Reply Report comment

January 23, 2014 at 2:56 pm

leave me alone and go pay attention to your own goddamn families

January 23, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I know some people that sell that stuff and they are not on welfare or fat. They all have good paying jobs and do this on the side and are doing very well I might add too. I am NOT one of them though.

January 22, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Read a article about how law enforcement is changing there strategy on apprehending drug dealers. There letting the drugs come in to the US and are trying to apprehend the money going back. Its more lucrative for them to have the money instead of the drugs. Its pretty much said they only want the money because they can’t sell the drugs. Its all about jobs in the law enforcement community.

42. Prison Industrial Complex Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 11:17 am

The drug war is a total scam, prescription drugs kill 300K a year, while marijuana kills no one, but they spend billions/year ‘fighting’ it, because pot heads make for good little slaves to put into private prisons, owned by the banks who launder the drug money, and it’s ALL DOCUMENTED!

43. Ben Franklin Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 10:52 am

“‎Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

44. Really? Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 10:22 am

Shame on NIT for even printing this story. We don’t care who smokes pot.

January 22, 2014 at 10:24 am

There are a few people on here that think of her as a hero, it’s a shame when our society puts a hero status on people that break the law.

• Dan Willey Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 10:46 am

“One day in my pharmacology class, we were discussing the possibility of legalizing marijuana. The class was pretty evenly divided between those that advocated legalizing marijuana and those that did not. The professor said he wanted to hear from a few people on both sides of the argument. A couple students had the opportunity to stand in front of the class and present their arguments. One student got up and spoke about how any kind of marijuana use was morally wrong and how nobody in the class could give him any example of someone who needed marijuana.
        A small girl in the back of the classroom raised her hand and said that she didn’t want to get up, but just wanted to comment that there are SOME situations in which people might need marijuana. The same boy from before spoke up and said that she needed to back up her statements and that he still stood by the fact that there wasn’t anyone who truly needed marijuana.
        The same girl in the back of the classroom slowly stood up. As she raised her head to look at the boy, I could physically see her calling on every drop of confidence in her body. She told us that her husband had cancer. She started to tear up, as she related how he couldn’t take any of the painkillers to deal with the radiation and chemotherapy treatments. His body was allergic and would have violent reactions to them. She told us how he had finally given in and tried marijuana. Not only did it help him to feel better, but it allowed him to have enough of an appetite to get the nutrients he so desperately needed.
        She started to sob as she told us that for the past month she had to meet with drug dealers to buy her husband the only medicine that would take the pain away. She struggled every day because according to society, she was a criminal, but she was willing to do anything she could to help her sick husband. Sobbing uncontrollably now, she ran out of the classroom. The whole classroom sat there in silence for a few minutes. Eventually, my professor asked, “Is there anyone that thinks this girl is doing something wrong?” Not one person raised their hand.”

January 22, 2014 at 10:55 am

@Dan-Nice story. I don’t believe a word of it. You guys smoke your dope and come up with all kinds of wet dreams.

• Derick

January 22, 2014 at 11:00 am

You’d know about wet dreams! LOL

• LVS

January 22, 2014 at 11:03 am

You are to stupid to know anything. You are just another brain dead pothead.

January 22, 2014 at 11:09 am

LVS be nice now, they just don’t know any better. I could say that the majority of doctors say that pot smokers have a very low IQ score, but just because I said it and maybe believe some of it doesn’t make it true.

• LVS

January 22, 2014 at 11:36 am

@maybe-I try to be nice but it is hard when they are so stupid. I guess that is why they call them potheads.

January 22, 2014 at 11:41 am

I have seen reports that say the majority of liberals are potheads, kinda makes sense now.

• bodacious

January 22, 2014 at 2:29 pm

LVS, This story is no different than some of the stories you pass along as truth. How come you are so judgmental when it comes to a story you don’t believe in? If it is ok for you to present stories without any actual facts, why isn’t it ok for this person?

January 22, 2014 at 5:02 pm

@bodacious-Are you trying to start something by shooting off your big mouth train driver? Because if so bring it on even though you are way out of your copy and paste league.

• bodacious

January 22, 2014 at 8:58 pm

@LVS, Good comeback little man. I am impressed. You are a clever one.

• 50 MILES SOUTH Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 11:07 am

If nobody cares, then why is there almost 40 posts in about 10 hours. You sir are wrong

• Derick Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 11:11 am

Because they’re impressed with the young lady’s courage.

45. juror Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 10:20 am

First off, kudos to Ms. Hernandez for standing up for her beliefs.
    Secondly, when citizens are called to serve jury duty, they are not told about jury nullification. Basically, jury nullification is when a jury comes back with a not guilty verdict even if they believe the defendant is guilty of the charges against them. If the jury disagrees with the law, they are free to acquit the defendant. If the jury finds the law unjust, like marijuana prohibition, the defendant goes free. Jury nullification was used successfully to help end alcohol prohibition.
    A majority of Iowans believe marijuana prohibition needs to end. If jurors know about nullification, and use it, we can take the power back from from our overbearing government.

January 22, 2014 at 10:46 am

@juror-thank you for the information. However, I do not believe the statement that the majority of Iowans want to see the prohibition end. It is possible in the circles you run in that may be true, but not for the majority. As to the rest of your post, I will take it on faith that you know what you are talking about until someone tells me different. I have a really hard time with someone saying that a judge would tell people they can ignore the law and make up their own.

• juror Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 1:57 pm

They do not give potential jurors that information. That is why i’m spreading the word on this forum.

46. sad but true Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 9:11 am

I am quickly beginning to believe the ONLY reason we have a police force is to collect revenue for the state. Protect and serve? I think not.
    Seat belts, pot, open container, underage drinking? All on the books to collect $$$

47. Bad Company Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 9:06 am

Maybe? Correction for you wannabe. It’s “Marin”, not Martin,…okay Retardo Montablan? Damn you’re as ignorant and LVS and Joe Dirt. LMFAO.

48. Iowa Sucks Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 7:59 am

Good for her! She’s like Rosa Parks, she’s not going to sit in the back of the bus.

January 22, 2014 at 6:57 am

Let’s follow this chicks career. We can then see where the success of being a space girl leads her.

Remember, deal with it.

January 22, 2014 at 7:35 am

OH man what a juicy opening you’ve given us. Follow her career? OMG, can we please follow the “careers” of your typical dumbshit factory alcoholic worker? Look at how this young woman lost all that weight. How many of you fat asses out there sitting on your self-righteous overweight Jesus Couches can say that? Look through her Facebook pictures. She’s obviously a go-getter who doesn’t want to work in some typical slave-wage job. She has a degree, and is working at some independent company that helps people lose weight, with her own life as an example. She has what looks like a very loving and beautiful family down in Texas, and an astute looking young man as a boyfriend. Now you would leave this woman to rot in prison if you had your way? Or should we call it LVS’s way? This is what’s so disgusting about you people. You put out these ignorant rules and then expect everyone to blindly follow them OR ELSE! Why don’t you all just admit that you are really following the military authoritative model of Don’t ask Questions, Just Do What You’re Told. I know now this is at the heart of how you people think: Militarism and Authoritarianism, which in the Libertarian Diagnosticians Manual could easily be listed as true mental disorders.

All that Die for Country, God and Guns crap is falling out of style as humans become more intelligent and more enlightened.

You would make me laugh, if I didn’t see you as a still present threat. Good news is though…the big sleeping American Child is finally waking up from its 200 year old nap. And what I mean by that is Americans are starting to face down the oppressors and controllers for liberty much like they did against King George.

January 22, 2014 at 7:45 am

Says the guy with no career from his mom’s house…

January 22, 2014 at 7:52 am

Your comments mean nothing to me. I’m still busy doing what I do. When the time is right…and not a moment sooner.

January 22, 2014 at 7:48 am

I know somebody years ago that lost a lot of weight, she looked pretty good for a while but then she kept losing the weight and eventually started looking like a starving stick. She started smoking pot then moved on to meth. Peter I do have an open mind on a lot of things but when it comes to drugs I believe you are 100% wrong.

January 22, 2014 at 7:51 am

And when it comes to alcohol, and war, I believe you are 100% wrong.

• Really? Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 10:07 am

Really, you knew someone who did pot and then meth!? really!?

January 22, 2014 at 8:43 am

peter-You are obsessing again. I was not part of this discussion but yet you felt you had to bring me into it. I thought we had an agreement but I can see your word is no good. Doesn’t surprise me very much. This young lady has just ruined her life and you are celebrating that? She will probably, almost certainly lose her job at Kaplan and now she has a drug charge on her record. What a waste.

• Petey John Childreno Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 8:58 am

Hey nobody gives the “word” but me you got that?

• Petey John Childreno

January 22, 2014 at 9:05 am

Some of you guys (if you’ll pardon the pun) think I’m some kinda whack job.

See’n as how I got my start as an early blogger with the globe.It all came about, when low and behold one fine summers day. My Mother *$%##in twin double appears in a Charles City women’s underwear store. (It was actually a department in a store but what the *$%# huh?)

Anyway’s this piece a ##*$ just happens to be there, when yours truly is passing through on a charity mission.

So the cops get all confused, and arrest me instead of the real culprit.

So natch’, I sued Charles City. And started writing articles for the globe about the whole deal. Sort of like Robert De niro in Casino. If you know what I mean.

January 22, 2014 at 9:10 am

LVS, I merely used your name as an archetype for a type of thinking. You should be proud your name is thought of as the examplar for your anti-marijuana stance. I don’t mind if you refer to my name in positional points. I wasn’t saying anything personally offensive about you. We are both using public blog waves. It’s inevitable our paths are going to cross.

January 22, 2014 at 9:16 am

And LVS, if she does in fact lose her position at Kaplan, the waste would be on their end not hers. My position all along is that if people are able to use marijuana and it doesn’t adversely affect anyone else, particularly in a criminal capacity, then it shouldn’t be considered problematic. I hope Kaplan ignores this charge and makes a statement by NOT firing her.

Furthermore, these types of blacklistings that occur as the result of marijuana charges are precisely what legalization movements are talking about. I have said the same thing in regards to not being able to serve your country in the military, or as a police officer, and having this record come back and haunt you as some sort of stigma.

What this girl is doing is challenging the challengers, and she has my support 100%, and I hope the support of thousands of others in the community. Don’t let this girl face these charges alone…help her anyway you can. Write OP-Ed pieces to the Globe, come up with a legal defense fund. Remember what happened in the 3rd Reich? People sat back and watched others get persecuted, until one day THEY became persecuted. Don’t let that happen. If you want marijuana decriminalized and don’t believe young people’s lives should be ruined for possession of one of God’s green plants…DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND HELP.

I’m doing my best from this end of things, as a blogger. If a formal defense fund is set up for her, I will contribute.

January 22, 2014 at 9:22 am

and Bonny and Clyde were just misguided but way ahead of their time

January 22, 2014 at 9:37 am

Geez Maybe, I’m trying hard not to post all the time, but when I see this type of ridiculous comparison, I have no choice. Bonnie and Clyde were murderers (13, and stole cars and committed armed robberies and burglaries. Using this grossly deformed and completely abusive and inaccurate comparison to this young college educated lady is obscene. Are you obscene Maybe? Are other soldiers like you?

January 22, 2014 at 9:41 am

a crime is a crime, are you saying that like Obama you can choose which laws you can uphold and which you won’t?

January 22, 2014 at 9:44 am

A crime is not always a crime, and a lobby to overturn an incorrectly designated crime is a VIRTUE.

January 22, 2014 at 9:46 am

And there are some in the International Court who believe that invading a sovereign country unprovoked and killing its citizens are war crimes. Are you a war criminal Maybe?

• LVS

January 22, 2014 at 9:47 am

@Philly-that is a dumb thing to say, that if the young woman lose her job at Kaplan it is their loss. She is the one losing a good paying job with benefits and will not be able to replace it. All because she couldn’t obey the law. And you have it wrong as usual. I am not anti pot and have said if you can prove it has medicinal uses and you want to legalize it for medical use I don’t have a problem with it. As far as recreational, I do not agree with with that. There are enough brain dead people wright now without creating more. I am down on ILLEGAL pot use. and the key word is ILLEGAL.

January 22, 2014 at 9:51 am

Who decides which is a crime, a doctor, or a judge or a senator or you?

January 22, 2014 at 9:53 am

as for your remark about war crimes, your ignorance has just thrust you into the realm of stupidity.

• LVS

January 22, 2014 at 10:59 am

@Philly-you inference that “maybe” is a war criminal is very close to crossing the line. You may think that is cute but to try to tear down a man who has fought for his country is just plain wrong. What have you done for your country.

January 22, 2014 at 12:26 pm

What have I done for this country? It’s more like what I’m doing for this country…as in right now as we speak. I’m helping correct decades of abusive and tyrannical thinking and practices. One thought in a man’s mind, spread to others through the written or spoken word can do a lot. My points to #Maybe are valid and they stand. It’s to your own detriment if you cannot understand their meaning.

#Maybe and all other soldiers like him will get credit when credit is due, and they will face blame when blame is due. I don’t buy the “just following orders” bit, and never will. We aren’t employing robots, these are supposed to be humans.

All of these soldiers can come into my good graces when I see them using their force for good, and for the implementation of appropriate political decisions. I have no patience any longer for the learning curve. The answers are very clear, and politically Americans need to be following the game plan for success. Righteous decisions and the righteous path will win favor with the Gods, and open up the heavens. The sun will come out and shine brightly on good decisions. Bad decisions, like bad karma reap bad fruit. It is not enough for you just to fly the flag and worship Uncle Sam’s appendages no-matter-what.

When you make a bad decision you face the consequences. It’s not beyond redemption, but it won’t be gathering the support of people like myself until the American Military Machine has fully corrected itself, and is supporting the green revolution and gameplan for true World Peace, and not the Oil Hitmen for Hire they presently are.

I’m sure these views are precisely why some in NIT land hate me as they do…but it’s my truth. Adding up all these injustices such as prosecuting a war against a plant, killing for oil etc are what has caused the 50/50 rift of disgust between this country.

I’m fully willing to support my military, when I see the ship steered on the right course. I will sympathize with those who served under bad decisions, but I won’t molly coddle them.

January 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm

You are correct when you say YOUR TRUTH. If you was to ask anybody that I served with they would tell you that I was a good soldier but I wasn’t one to blindly follow orders. If I had any doubts I would ask questions and on more than 1 occasion I told an officer that in my opinion the order I was given was unlawful so I wasn’t going to obey that order. I ruffled a lot of feathers in my time but I was also one that when I was on a mission I completed that mission reliably ontime or ahead of schedule. I never heard anything over there about us being there was about oil but that doesn’t mean that wasn’t the case but I did hear about the WMD’s and I believed it because I saw them. Now you telling me why we were really there doesn’t mean anything to me because of what you said earlier, “YOUR TRUTH”. Everybody here is an expert on their own subject but I doubt anybody actually knows squat about what they are talking about. I am not an expert on the war in Iraq but I do know what I saw.

January 22, 2014 at 1:08 pm

#Maybe it sounds like it would be a super interesting interview and story for NIT. I don’t call the shots on NIT, but if I were the editor, seeing what you just wrote, I’d want more information.

There’s no doubt the Middle East is messed up. NONE. But seeing the costs involved and the behavior of these people means that any involvement with them is a bad investment. Is the media is exaggerating the bad? Well if they are, they should stop because it turns off a LOT of people.

I’m curious as to what WMD’s you may have seen, or believed you had seen. It’s not improbable that your CO’s were TELLING you they were WMD’s to bolster your adrenaline but who knows if they were or not?

I’m going to lay out in a nutshell what America should be doing…and since the timeline has to start somewhere, I’ll begin the day after 9/11.

Internationally

1. Close All Borders. Stop All Flights. Stop all Shipments. Place Military at all Points of Entry and along all coastlines: Coast Guard, Navy, Air Force etc. Tear open and search every shipping container and package inbound and outbound.
            2. Find out who perpetrated act.
            3. Gather up allies
            4. Air STrike all Taliban Al Quada Camps via offshore Naval Vessels, Air Force Bombers, Jets, and Drones. Not one boot on the ground.
            5. Quarantine and surround Afghanistan. No supplies of weapons allowed in or out of any country who supported Al Queda. Continue Air strikes. Drive them into caves like rats.
            6. Start sanctions against belligerent nations.
            7. Place travel restrictions against hostile nations.

Domestically:

8.Build as many windfarms and solar projects as you can. Start up WW2 Style War Efforts to reduce fossil fuel usage to less than 25%. Take America off its own grid. Create a new grid with renewables. Every State and City Government pass laws forcing American buildings and homes into renewable energy compliance (much like Germany did). Solar Rooftops…wind turbines. Wind turbines every 4 or 5 blocks serving each neighborhood. Start Victory Gardens and home food growing operations.
            9. Require Automobile manufacturers to increase electric and hybrid car manufacturing. Ban and outlaw large Hummer type vehicles, monster trucks, anything with less than 40 mpg. create public charging stations for electric vehicles. Allow Neighborhood Electric Vehicles and golf carts to drive around on city streets.
            10. End all trade with China. Place Sanctions against them. Make it against law for American Corporations to deal with China in any way. Same bans against any country with terrible human rights records and pollution practices.

I could go on and on…but I will stop here for now, as I’m at McDonald’s of all places and better order something…my 85 minutes is up. I need another $1.00 side salad.

Peace.

• LVS

January 22, 2014 at 1:59 pm

@maybe-I am sorry you have to listen to that dribble. I for one appreciate your sacrifice and dedication. Thank you for your service.

January 22, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I am used to dribble, my ex used to have a daycare.

January 22, 2014 at 2:19 pm

#LVS: Sacrifice and dedication have nothing to do with policy decisions. You call it dribble only because you’re scared to jump in and debate them with me.

I’ll also use this comment space to add END ALL MILITARY AID TO FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS such as Pakistan and Egypt, as our Constitution decrees.

Most of these problems were an accumulation of running bad karma in the Middle East, and like slavery, much of the damage cannot be undone. I attempted to start at a point in recent history to illustrate what I feel America should be doing, compared to what it did do.

In fact, the above policy is being generous to those who would want to see revenge for the 9/11 attacks. My other view point is that the attacks on 9/11 were a result of exploitative oil practices building American military might upon the resources of foreign lands, and perhaps as hard as it may have been…to absorb the attack…withdraw from the middle east entirely (as Ron Paul prescribed), shut down the borders and get back to work on our own country…focusing on energy independence and renewable energy….a view I still believe we should be following.

But some are so drunk with American Might, they don’t care what it is, they believe America should go on ruling and dominating the international scene with threat of military force, and this is why such propaganda brainwashing is occurring depicting so many Military Shooter Video Games, and war action movies coming out of Hollywood. I’m like any other guy in that I like good action movies, and war movies are thrilling, but in terms of actual policy…I’d prefer the much more “boring” policy of doing the right thing.

50. Joe Dirt Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 6:55 am

Spoken like a true brain dead doper. I will put my faith in people who don’t need mind altering drugs to make it through the day. After all we can all see what it has done to Obama’s ability to make intelligent decisions. When you have to stoop so low to make a comment that you smoked pot to try to win back the vote of the younger generation it’s evident you have no ability to run the country.

51. Petey John Childreno Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 6:50 am

I give it the nod…

Let’s make this girl a hero!

She deserves it 🙂

52. Philosophus Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 5:45 am

Brava Chica! This girl is perhaps the first I’ve read about who instead of tucking her tail between her legs with the North Iowa Guilt some loser judge wants here to feel, boldly proclaims back to her accusers.

This is EXACTLY what REVOLUTION is about! Freeing yourselves from the mental prisons and physical prisons these sickos want to place humans in.

One thousand arrows shot at this girl will turn into flowers and fall away.

SCREW YOU JUDGE.

More of you please come out and stand up! Follow this brave girls example. If you are caught for marijuana possession: SHOW NO REMORSE and turn it back on them. Tell them you’ll walk through the gates of hell before you’ll admit wrong doing.

January 22, 2014 at 6:27 am

Also, I want to give her a bit of legal advice. Fight the charge–Plead NOT GUILTY. Demand a Jury Trial. Represent Yourself if you cannot find a lawyer who agrees with you.

Public sentiment is changing as you can see by 2 States legalizing marijuana and President Obama’s public statements. If you are reading this, know there is something known as JURY NULLIFICATION. It gives the jury the option to set you free with a NOT GUILTY verdict because they disagree with the law or the penalty. It is oftentimes subtle used but juries have the power to do whatever they want.

If you are a juror who finds themselves sitting on these types of possession of marijuana charges, use the opportunity to make a political statement and set all of them free…provided no violence or theft is associated with the charges (unless those charges are bogus).

JURY NULLIFICATION WORKS! Use it!

January 22, 2014 at 6:50 am

And I take issue with NIT’s characterization of this as a “Dope” Arrest. I looked through this young woman’s Facebook pictures, and I see a talented, bright, attractive, family-oriented young woman who has achieved amazing weight loss. Your attempt to reduce her life to that of a “doper” does grave injustice. She’s hardly a doper. She’s smart, and capable. NIT, I think it’s time you start portraying these arrests for their truth, and not for the tabloid headlines. You may disagree about the legalization of marijuana, but there are plenty of people who use, who don’t appreciate being referred to as a “dope”. Cannabis is a plant. You know what is dope? Alcohol. Because alcohol is proven to kill brain cells and cause fetal alcohol syndrome.

January 22, 2014 at 7:23 am

Peter, I like how you said represent yourself. You are sounding more and more like Cheech Martin.

January 22, 2014 at 6:56 am

How did she NOT break the law?

• 940XL Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I believe that many of the people who are not aware of the reality confronting this country need to step back and take stock of the facts.
        1. In the next five years China and a few other countries in that part of the world are going to be the the number one GDP economies on this planet we are going to be in the place that they were in at the bottom of the list.
        2. Iowa with its growing private prison industry is going to make more laws that are going to make it much harder to stay out of the Court house/jail they seem to be one and the same for even the average god fearing law abiding citizen right now they are picking on the blacks and the Mexicans and anyone who is different believe you and me you and I are next when they run out of foreign faces . Look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOoRePbzKoY

The longer that we keep those old men with no new ideas in power the more restrictive life in this state is going to become and the great exodus of our young citizens will accelerate. The old men know nothing new they know the old game pull fast one over on the working man and keep misleading the faithful.

We need to legalize hemp for industries and new technology that it will bring into our state. Legalize pot and tax it before there is more competition from other states. The Federal government knows how great the cannabis medicinal components are that is the reason they own the patent on the medicinal elements of it. Look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLGk14FdEn8

So if you want a better future you need to look at the changes that need to be made.

January 22, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Great points you make. Spot on.

And I’m convinced now what this really boils down to is an exercise in blind authoritarianism. Those who are in power of legal definitions know they don’t really have a good reason for prohibiting marijuana use, they are just using prohibition as a way to firmly, illogically exert control over people’s minds and behavior.

Like an abusive parent who always tells their child “NO!” on everything, because the parent relishes the power in seeing their child blindly obey, so to has law enforcement relished this power over the population.

And like any parent who is fearful of relinquishing this power, so to law enforcement is fearful if they relinquish their power to say “NO!”, the population will slip beyond their control.

The drug war is about the ability to say NO!, and law enforcement’s secret delight in this power over human minds and behavior.

53. Karma Chameleon Reply Report comment

January 22, 2014 at 2:37 am

That’s only four blocks from Eric’s house. Between the stabbings and robberies and dope deals right outside his front door I’m surprised the chubby chap ever leaves his nest.