Founded in 2010

News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Mason City fire department recognizes persons who helped save occupants of burning house

From an NIT reader:
“My wife was coming home from work … and snapped this photo of that fire on the corner of Jefferson and 1st. When she rolled up on the scene there was no police or fire truck there yet. She actually called 911 as the neighbor was getting the occupants out.”

MASON CITY – Mason City Fire Marshal Jamey Medlin said Tuesday morning two people helped save residents inside a burning house and smoke detectors also played a role.

Mr. Medlin tells NIT that additional information was gathered on the house fire at 22 N. Jefferson.

The (Opportunity Village) residents’ caretaker Laurella Weiss was working the night of the house fire. Smoke alarms had activated in the building and Laurella was gathering occupants of the building as (a neighbor) Toyon Hamilton helped a resident out of the building, along with Laurella Weiss helping residents. The actions of both these individuals changed the outcome of the fire greatly.

The Mason City Fire Department would like to thank both Laurella Weiss and Toyon Hamilton for their efforts that change the outcome of this fire, from what could have been a loss of life to just property damage.

Early notification via smoke alarms plays an important role in all fires, so please check your smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries twice a year.

The house is extensively damaged.  Dumpsters were out front Tuesday for collection of debris.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Even more news:


Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
or go to

Copyright 2022 – Internet Marketing Pros. of Iowa, Inc.
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x