Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
Founded October 1, 2010

Iowa meth user who possessed a loaded firearm during “one‑man crime spree” sentenced to federal prison

This news story was published on December 25, 2018.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

CEDAR RAPIDS – An Iowa man who was convicted of nine crimes committed in the first few months of 2018 was sentenced on December 17, 2018, to more than a year in federal prison.

Patrick Andrew Lugrain, age 22, from Dubuque, Iowa, received the prison term after an August 2, 2018 guilty plea to one count of being an unlawful drug user in possession of a firearm.

In a plea agreement, Lugrain admitted he was using methamphetamine in early 2018. In February 2018, he purchased a .45 caliber pistol from a business in Dubuque. On March 3, 2018, Lugrain was stopped in a traffic stop by Dubuque police and arrested on outstanding warrants. Officers then found a Smith & Wesson .45 caliber pistol loaded with seven rounds and a large number of baggies used for drug packaging in the car. Lugrain later stated he had been living in his car and admitted he possessed the firearm for his own protection.

Court records reflect that at the time he was charged in federal court, Lugrain had fourteen pending criminal cases in the state of Iowa arising from conduct occurring in the first four months of 2018. In December, Lugrain was convicted of eight of those charges, with the remaining charges being dismissed. During an earlier federal court hearing, a federal magistrate judge described Lugrain’s early-2018 behavior as a “one-man crime spree.”

Lugrain was sentenced in Cedar Rapids by United States District Court Chief Judge Leonard T. Strand. Lugrain was sentenced to 12 months and 1 day of imprisonment. He must also serve a three-year term of supervised release after the prison term. There is no parole in the federal system.

Lugrain was released on the bond previously set and is to surrender to the United States Marshal on December 27, 2018.

The case was investigated by the Dubuque Police Department and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, and prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Dan Chatham.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available