Founded in 2010

News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Northern Iowa man caught after three-day manhunt after causing schools to go into lockdown

OELWEIN, IOWA – A Northern Iowa man allegedly pulled a gun on police that led to schools going into lockdown and a foot chase that turned into a three-day manhunt, resulting in his arrest.

On Friday September 7, 2018 Oelwein Schools were put on lock out after being notified of an incident on the southwest side of town where authorities were looking for a suspect possibly armed that fled on foot. The incident began at about 8:45 AM, when the Oelwein Police Department received a report of a suspicious male in the 1000 block of West Charles. While officers were in route, the department received a report that the male was now involved in a domestic disturbance, in the street, with a female subject. An officer located the disturbance in the 800 block of 1st Street SW. As the officer met with the subjects, it was discovered that the male subject was concealing a firearm on his person. The subject reached for the firearm and after a short altercation, he fled on foot. The subject ran to his residence in the 1000 block of West Charles and entered a vehicle as other units arrived to assist. The subject then attempted to elude police and a vehicle pursuit was initiated. The pursuit took a path of various roadways, in the southwest quadrant of the community, with the suspect operating at speeds in excess of 60 and 80 mph in the residential neighborhoods.

The suspect then intentionally drove his vehicle down a steep creek embankment which disable the vehicle. He then fled again on foot. Various witnesses provided officers with a direction that the subject fled towards and a perimeter was established. At this time the Iowa State Patrol, the Buchanan County Sheriff’s Department and the Iowa State Patrol Air Unit arrived to assist. The incident of the last foot pursuit occurred within a few blocks of Sacred Heart School and that building was placed on lock-out as a precautionary measure.

As the investigation progressed, the department received information that the individual was potentially working his way to a location at or near the Oelwein High School-Middle School-Little Husky Learning Center. School officials were contacted, as a precaution, and were requested to go into a lock-out as officers continued to search the area for the suspect. The schools remained in lock-out until the end of the school day and officers provided extra presence at these locations during dismissal for the day.

Later, Fayette County Sheriff Marty Fisher advised after a three-day manhunt involving multiple agencies, the incident had finally come to a safe conclusion. Monday morning, September 10, 2018 28-year-old Emilio Austin Torres of Oelwein turned himself into Fayette County Sheriff without incident. He is currently being held in the Fayette County Jail on warrants for 1st offense domestic abuse assault, Eluding – Injury, OWI, Drugs or participate in a felony, Interference with official acts – firearm, carrying weapons.

Emilio Torres is being held without bond until his appearance before a magistrate.

Emilio Torres

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

another crime that would never have happened had we enforced immigration law

Looks totally legal

Her be a he honky.

looks like her got here before the wall is built

Even more news:

Copyright 2024 – Internet Marketing Pros. of Iowa, Inc.
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x