Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Founded October 1, 2010


Firefighters battle house fire Thursday morning in Clear Lake


This news story was published on January 14, 2016.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

House fire January 14, 2016 in Clear Lake (Clear Lake Fire Department photo)

House fire January 14, 2016 in Clear Lake
(Clear Lake Fire Department photo)

CLEAR LAKE, IOWA – Three people escaped a house fire early Thursday in Clear Lake.

The Clear Lake Fire Department reports today that firefighters were dispatched to a home fire early this morning at 12:15 AM. The Clear Lake Police Department, Clear Lake Fire Department and Cerro Gordo County Sheriff’s Department responded to 1121 North 5th Street in Clear Lake. Upon arrival, heavy smoke was billowing from the second story and attic spaces of a two-story home.

Three occupants of the home and their pets had safely evacuated prior to the fire department’s arrival.  Occupants were Denver Foote, Jeremy Anderson, and Jamie Kilborne. There were no injuries.

Firefighters entered the home and quickly contained the fire to the attic space and second story of the home, the CLFD reports. Ventilation of the smoke and heat was obtained with roof top ventilation and use of powered fans. Damage was contained to the attic and second story.

The fire is believed to have been caused by overloaded electric circuits in the attic that initially ignited insulation and spread to framing members of the roof and ceiling. Damage estimate is $18,000.

House fire January 14, 2016 in Clear Lake (Clear Lake Fire Department photo)

House fire January 14, 2016 in Clear Lake
(Clear Lake Fire Department photo)

The property is owned by Jeff Whitehurst of Clear Lake. The owner did have insurance for the property.

The Clear Lake Fire Department responded with 3 companies with 15 firefighters and was assisted by the Ventura Fire Department with 1 company and 5 firefighters. Also assisting was staff from Alliant Power Company.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available