EDITORIAL: John Skipper should deliver newspapers Monday

This news story was published on January 5, 2014.

by Matt Marquardt –

John Skipper should deliver newspapers, it might be good for him.

John Skipper should deliver newspapers, it might be good for him.

We’ve all seen how far the Globe Gazette has slipped over the years. Most of the stories it publishes are Associated Press re-hashes and garbage written by the yellow journalist who calls himself John Skipper.

Now, just yesterday, the Globe wrote about the obvious. When it is done lying to you, the Globe will do that. It’s front page headline on Saturday screamed “Dangerous cold coming our way.” Now, maybe that headline meant that the Glob would not be able to pay its Alliant Energy bill and the few people who still work there should bundle up when coming to work. John, whoever picks you up for work, make sure they warm up the car real good.

No, they were talking to everyone, even going so far as to offer a tip: “Best advice, Stay inside.” That was their other headline Saturday.

Well, that’s a novel idea when the temps will be, what, 60 degrees below zero or colder with wind chills today and Monday.

So I ask: Hey Globe, what about your carriers? Do you care about their safety, as well? Why have you not suspended home delivery for Sunday and Monday?

A source told me that this year, the carriers have to find their own way to the Globe to pick up their bundles of papers (they stopped home bundle delivery) then they have to go out and deliver.

“Some don’t have cars, so I’m assuming they’ll be cold before they even start,” the source explained.

paperIt really is despicable of the Globe Gazette to warn people to stay inside and avoid what their Associated Press story calls a “polar vortex” but yet not call off the home delivery of their newspaper. To treat their own employees like an afterthought shows the true nature of this organization. I just wonder, are there children or disabled people the Globe is using to deliver? For the paltry amount of money the Globe pays, who would want the job, anyway, I ask myself, but seriously, no one should be out delivering newspapers when it is -7 degrees plus wind chills much lower.

Since Skipper can’t drive, and he will likely be bored at work since he long ago gave up interesting and truthful reporting, I nominate him to deliver papers on Monday. I doubt he would last more than a block or two, but at least he could get up from his desk and trudge over to City Hall and personally deliver the mayor’s paper.  As always, he could go into Mr. Bookmeyer’s office, close the door behind him and shut off the lights – like he has many times – and then do whatever it is they do in there.  It might be cold outside… but it’ll be hot in there.

49 Responses to EDITORIAL: John Skipper should deliver newspapers Monday

BLULS2 Reply Report comment

January 12, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I delivered the paper as a kid about 20 years ago, and back then they did deliver it to me in the wee hours of the morning, but we did have to roll them up and rubber band them, and stuff them in the plastic bags when the weather required us to do so. Never once did I not deliver because it was too cold or the streets were flooding. I was told by my parents that it was just a part of the job and it was tough cookies. If you cant handle the heat get out of the kitchen. Tons of people worked in the cold, how do you think they do shit in Alaska.

WD 80 Reply Report comment

January 7, 2014 at 8:30 pm

If Mr. Skipper is having vision problems, I certainly hope his condition is only temporary. This is one of the worst things that can happen to anyone, and is nothing to joke about.

Silly me Reply Report comment

January 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Common labor for the only lap dog writer the globe could hire would be news worthy. He might even shed a pound or two.

Philosophus Reply Report comment

January 6, 2014 at 9:28 am

Globe wasn’t delivered, so Matt’s efforts must have paid off. My mailman was out there though and I met him at the box and gave him 4 Ghiardelli Chocolate Squares and thanked him for his service. What a trooper. He passed it off as all part of the job…said “We’re used to it”. Now that’s service…and I noticed one of his hands was glove free. Now that’s hardcore.

Also wanted to caution people…the air is so cold that breathing in can be dangerous for people with lung conditions. The body doesn’t have enough time to heat the incoming air and you can feel it “burn” on the inhale. I have a lung condition, and it affected me so beware. Wear one of those white dust masks if you have one…you know…like the Japanese do.

Also didn’t hear the garbage trucks out, so they must be cancelled or delayed. It’s cold…deceptively so stay inside.

This is coming from Philosophus, a man who has literally slept out in a frozen cornfield with no blanket and woke up to his legs frozen stiff and survived…so I know what I’m talking about. And after having been homeless for over ten years…I know mother earth very well. She’ll get you this time!! Seek shelter.

Buzz Crumcutter Reply Report comment

January 6, 2014 at 4:09 pm

“I met him at the box and gave him 4 Ghiardelli Chocolate Squares and thanked him for his service.”

What you are really telling all of us is…. you re-gifted that delicious chocolate that I sent you for Christmas, didn’t you???? You sly devil you. 😉

Peanut Butter Reply Report comment

January 6, 2014 at 8:20 am

I don’t like the Globe. But I don’t think they are the devil. And Skippy doesn’t seem like a bad guy.

I’m sure though, Bookmeyer prolly likes to spread some Skippy around on his bread in the dark. But, there ain’t nothing wrong with that, right?

ventura49 Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 10:39 pm

it could be argued that it is a little “despicable” to make fun of a man with poor eyesite trying to do his job. Talk about yellow journalism–this site has become more of a cult than news—but yes I do find it entertaining

Annie Reply Report comment

January 6, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Ventura, besides being despicable, it’s also disgusting. My stomach turns many times while here and because of that I will not pay to feed in all the troughs. Clean up your acts guys.

January 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

While your stomach churns you keep coming back begging to read more, you’re hooked sweat heart and you know it!

LVS Reply Report comment

January 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm

@Annie-It doesn’t stop you from reading and commenting on here does it. Did you pay or are you one of the freeloaders?

Annie Reply Report comment

January 7, 2014 at 11:18 am

LVS, it’s been tried before to close up the site to non subscribers….end result…..BORING!!! So that the few subscribers have some posts to read or they wouldn’t pay either…..we are all grateful for the non subscribers to post. The more the merrier. :))

ventura49 Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 10:23 pm

when I delivered the Globe back in the late 60’s as a kid i don’t remember thinking I should get the day off because it was cold–millions of people are going to work tomorrow–I do however remember the people on the route that thanked me-gave me a tip on collection day–or made sure I was OK to continue

SO Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Does the Globe provide Braille to skipper for his editorials?

Annie Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I sure hope so in case you ever get old and need help.

January 5, 2014 at 8:05 pm

OH suck it up buttercup, you keep coming back sweetheart!

Dave Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Well said Concerned Citizen.

Dave Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 7:14 pm

John Skipper didn’t even write the article. Another great story by the North Iowa Enquirer.

January 5, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Everything is skippers fault just look at the expression on his face, it says so!

Observer Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 6:24 pm

UPS, USPS, FredEx, will all be out. Ground workers at the Airport. Switchmen at the Railroads, Police, and First Responders will all be out.

The difference of course is they are men and women paid to do essential jobs. Unless your bird cage needs a new liner, I hardly think delivering the Globe on such a cold blustery day is essential.

As a youth delivering the Sunday Trib, there were days it was not fit for man nor dog, yet we were out there (with Dad’s Comet following close behind, just in case). What is shocking is that back then, we were paid more than what is offered today by the Globe.

tv anchor Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Fantastic point. You were paid more 30 years ago for the same job. Why? Because the Globe is hanging on by a fingernail and not worth the paper it is printed on. Big downsize there I predict. Massive layoffs. Junck and co. robbing the place blind like an Atlanta smash and grab convenience store. I just pray a child delivering the garbage gazette doesn’t lose a toe or tip of his nose just to make pocket change.

ConcernedCitizen Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Can someone please tell me what the point of this article is? All I’m seeing is Mr. Marquardt inviting Mr. Skipper, the Glob, and Bookmeyer out on the playground for a fight after school. Great journalism at NIT happen after ya got a few beers in you and you’ve got a bone to pick with your competitors.

a betting man Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 5:56 pm

That’s one fight the two fat men would run from very quickly. I’d put $100 on Marquardt.

Rocko Von Socko Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I apologize for the typo btw but I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. Stay warm everyone and God Bless You All.

Rocko Von Socko Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Matt,..you’re killing me here. That’s some funny stuff brother. The world needs more people like you dude. I would love to meet you in person…you sure make me laugh. As for as the sloth up at the “Glob”…screw em bucky if they can’t take a joke. Have a nice evening and keep on trucking man.

Jean Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I’m a subscriber to the Globe. If I see the carrier delivering my paper tomarrow morning I’ll offer hot chocolate. Then I’ll call and cancel my subscription.

Leslie Dahl Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 3:47 pm

So hey taxpayers are you going to let them pick up your garbage tomorrow and then ask for them to be fired because they were hired to do a job? They will work longer outside tomorrow than any carrier. What about the kids that carry out your groceries. Alliant Energy employees outside if someone loses power. This is just another one of his anger issues at work. Talk about drinking the kool aid.

William Jefferson Clapton Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 4:10 pm

The city can feel free to reschedule my Monday garbage pickup to Wednesday… No skin off my teeth

10th NW Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm

The garbage men get paid a good wage. Paper carriers make squat. Some of them are children and even disabled. The man who once brought me a shopper was clearly disabled and could barely walk. Big difference. Shameful to think a child would be forced to work under these conditions just so an a$$hole like you^^^ can read the paper.

Leslie Dahl Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I don’t care if I get my paper on Tuesday. I carried the paper when I was younger and my parents had to sign the contract. Doesnt that make the parent responsible? As for the disabled guy that delivered your shopper can you tell me who held a gun to his head? I think everybody’s lives are worth the same whether they make a lot or not. They can pick up garbage on Wednesday but I haven’t seen an article slamming the city for not making that decision.

The waitress

January 5, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Matt really got to this moron. He loves to push buttons, known for that talent, among many others. He has to be in his office laughing at boobs like Leslie who are tied in knots trying to explain some story he probably typed in 10 minutes as he snickered the entire time. Too much truth for Leslie to handle, no doubts there.

January 5, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I can’t believe the globe! -60 means EVERYTHING is going to freeze up. I knew the globe was hurting for money but to allow their carriers/drivers out in this?? Unacceptable!

January 5, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Stop being mad at the globe for firing your horrible writing ass. You couldn’t even spell Globe right in this article. Geesh

Loyal NIT reader Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Lol. Angry this fine chilly morn? Hey newbie, Matt ‘s been calling that dump the ‘Glob’ for 3 years. Where ya been? By the way Matt quut working there after 6 years.

Angie Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:58 am

Another great article Matt! I can’t believe they are still going ahead with delivery! UPS, FedEx the mail, it can all wait a day! Especially the Globe! Aren’t most of them out delivering the paper kids? Ya know, the people complaining about you writing this are the ones that will be sitting back drinking coffee in their heated Lazy-boy recliners! Or they could have plans with Eric and John, who knows! Ya know, they have to keep things in Eric’s office since they can’t go to the YMCA anymore…too much exposure there!

City man Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm

So glad to see Matt back. I was worried. Go get em Matt.

Joao do Carmo Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:45 am

“UPS will be out delivering,. . . nothing more”

Don’t you find it a bit hypocritcal of the Globe to advise its readers to “bundle up” and “stay inside” while forcing its carriers to work in the same conditions?

L.G. Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:59 am

NIT is delivered all day everyday online! Yes!

Rivercityfan Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Love my NIT. I check in 3-4 times a day. A real godsend. Counters the bs and tells it like it is!

LVS Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:32 am

I guess the point is that Skipper is nothing but a establishment puppet and pretty worthless so, they might as well put him to work.

• Matt Marquardt

Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:34 am

Very Good, LVS. Skipper is a liar and a fraud, in my opinion. His favorite pass time is to write about me, so I thought I would return the favor.

John Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Matt,
        I noticed that Skipper does not drive, why is that? Thanks!

January 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm

There are alot of people out here that wonder why Skipper doesn’t drive. Anyone know?

Just My Opinion

January 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I believe his eyesight is very poor. He may even be legally blind.

anonymous Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:15 am

You really do lead a sad life Matt…if I believed in God, I would pray for you.

• Matt Marquardt

Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:19 am

Haha. I guess that means you like my story. Thanks for the page views.

Leslie Dahl Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:26 am

I agree with u. Looks like someone’s off their meds again and on the attack

• Matt Marquardt

Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:36 am

As far as your nasty remark, if you want to stick up for John Skipper, offer the man a ride or a coffee from Hardee’s. He probably can’t afford it since his LEE stock took a beating over the last few years.

p. h. Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Mybe skippy could go in erics office, lock the door, and neither of them will come out.

Dedicated NIT subscriber Reply Report comment

January 5, 2014 at 11:11 am

Too true. It is said that as little as five minutes of exposure could cause frost bite, hypothermia or death. Shame on the Glob.