CEDAR FALLS – The Panthers hosted the Norse of Luther College in the McLeod Center on Tuesday night, defeating the division III opponent 110-51 to move the Panthers to 8-1 on the season.
The Panthers dominated the game from start to finish in a record-breaking night. The Panthers set new McLeod Center records in Points (110), field goals made (42), three-point field goal attempts (38), and tied the rebound record (50).
UNI scored the first 17 points of the game without missing a shot before the Norse scored their first points. Antwan Kimmons hit a jumper at the buzzer to give the Panthers a 60-24 lead at half. After 20 minutes of play the Panthers had shot 72% (26-36) from the field and 47% (8-17) from beyond the arc.
Trae Berhow led all scorers with 12-points going 4-5 from behind the arc going into halftime. AJ Green and Spencer Haldeman each recorded 10-points both shooting 4-7 from the field and 2-5 from behind the arc.
The Panthers stretched the lead to 60 points in the second half after a pair of free throws from Antwan Kimmons with 1:23 left in the game. Kimmons totaled 13 points, dished out a career-high 5 assists, and grabbed 2 rebounds on the night.
Noah Carter led the way for the Panthers scoring 25 points, shooting 10-16 from the field and 4-8 from behind the arc. Carter also grabbed 8 rebounds & dished out an assist. AJ Green scored 19 points, dished out 4 assists, 3 rebounds, and 1 steal.
Monday’s victory marks just the second time the Panthers have scored over 100 points in the Ben Jacobson era.
– With 15:30 left in the first half, UNI led 17-0 and is shooting 100 % from the field.
– UNI entered halftime with double-digit scoring from Trae Berhow (12), AJ Green (10), and Spencer Haldeman (10).
– Isaiah Brown, AJ Green, and Spencer Haldeman each end the first half with one steal.
– UNI finished with double-digit point totals from Noah Carter (25), AJ Green (19), Trae Berhow (17), Antwan Kimmons (13), Austin Phyfe (10), and Spencer Haldeman (10).
– Antwan Kimmons dished out a career-high 5 assists.
– Austin Phyfe recorded a game-high 9 rebounds.
– Noah Carter led all scorers with 25 points, going 10-16 from the field and 4-8 from behind the arc. Carter also grabbed 8 rebounds & dished out an assist.
– UNI scores 100 points for only the second time in the Ben Jacobson era.
The Panthers, now 8-1, will get 8 days of rest before taking on a nationally ranked Colorado team. The Buffaloes are 6-0 on the season with games against Loyola Marymount and Kansas before taking the floor with the Panthers. As of December 1, the Buffaloes are ranked #20 by the Associated Press and #24 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. The two teams will take the floor on Tuesday, December 10 at 8:00 PM CT with the game be broadcast on the PAC 12 Network.