Police in Omaha, Nebraska advised that “It is NOT okay… let us repeat this… it is NOT okay to throw your cigarette butts out your car window.”
This warning came as an officer happened to be driving down a street shortly after someone had thrown their cigarette butt out the car window. Their cigarette butt just happened to hit a gas/oil slick on the street and “their carelessness’ led to a dangerous fire.
The officer called for a fire truck and grabbed his fire extinguisher, the Omaha police department said in a statement, and worked on putting the car fire out until the Omaha Fire Department got there.
“All of this could have been prevented had the litterer used that little built in device in their car. You know, the one that is made for cigarette butts and litter.”
Police said whoever is responsible for the fire is unknown.