MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA – Starting now for the next 18 months, construction crews will improve Target Center inside and out, making the building a world-class venue for sports, concerts and other events.
The improvements include:
· A more modern exterior that enhances its visual appeal and blends better with the historic Warehouse District.
· A new five-story, windowed atrium that showcases the activity and energy inside the facility and provides more natural light and views of downtown for people inside.
· A new sound system and acoustic improvements.
· A new variety of places inside for people to gather.
· Updated restrooms.
· Better loading dock and back stage facilities that will make it easier for trucks to load and unload at Target Center and also reduce the impact to bike, pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic along Seventh Street.
· Improved lighting and streetscape along First Avenue and Seventh Street, making it a better place to walk.
· Updated technology including the largest arena scoreboard in the Upper Midwest.
Target Center is a City-owned community asset that’s been heavily used for the past 25 years. It hosts about 200 events a year including all Timberwolves and Lynx home games. The renovation is funded by the City, the Timberwolves and Lynx, and building manager AEG Facilities. Work is expected to be completed by late summer 2017.
More information: www.targetcenterrenovation.com.