Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region

FBI will investigate San Bernardino shooting rampage as terrorist act

This news story was published on December 4, 2015.

FBI Director James Comey and Attorney General Loretta Lynch speak to reporters about this week’s mass shooting in San Bernardino, California during a press availability held December 4, 2015 at FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C.

FBI Director James Comey and Attorney General Loretta Lynch speak to reporters about this week’s mass shooting in San Bernardino, California during a press conference held December 4, 2015 at FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The FBI announced today that it is assuming a leadership role in the investigation into the mass shooting that occurred earlier this week in San Bernardino, California, and that the attack that killed 14 people and injured 21 others has been deemed an act of terrorism.

“This is now a federal terrorism investigation, led by the FBI,” said Director James Comey, speaking to reporters at FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C. He was joined by Attorney General Loretta Lynch. “The reason for that,” Comey said, “is that the investigation so far has developed indications of radicalization by the killers and of the potential inspiration by foreign terrorist organizations.” The Bureau’s work, however, continues in close cooperation with our federal, state, and local partners.

Comey cautioned that it is early in the investigation, “but so far, there is no indication that these killers are part of an organized larger group.” He added that hundreds of FBI personnel are following leads all over the world. “We are trying to understand the motives of these killers and trying to understand every detail of their lives.”

The FBI is in possession of a large volume of electronic evidence that belonged to the husband and wife shooters, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. Comey said the couple tried to conceal and destroy electronic evidence before they were killed in a shootout with police Wednesday.

Comey assured the public that the FBI is working as fast as it can to find answers. “We aspire to do it quickly,” he said, “but we most of all aspire to do it well and do it carefully.”

“Our hearts continue to ache for the people lost and wounded in San Bernardino and their families,” Comey said, echoing Lynch’s earlier sentiments to keep the victims and their families “in our prayers.”

11 Responses to FBI will investigate San Bernardino shooting rampage as terrorist act

Frank Reply Report comment

December 5, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Let’s import even more of these peace loving folk. Right democrats?

LVS Reply Report comment

December 5, 2015 at 2:03 pm

If we do Frank lets only allow them to live with Democrats and raise the Democrats taxes to pay for them. Then with any luck at all they would only kill lefty’s.

Larry Reply Report comment

December 6, 2015 at 2:07 am

LVS- you should be ashamed of yourself for that comment! Left – right or in the middle-we are all Americans and it would be no luck at all if any Americans were killed by these terrible terrorist!

LVS Reply Report comment

December 6, 2015 at 9:28 am

I am not ashamed at all. The Democrats are the ones pushing to bring in potential terrorist, so let them live with what they want. Why should my family or anyone else pay for your stupidity. Do not try that P.C. Guilt trip crap on me as I don’t give a flip about your opinion’s. My opinion is you and people who think like you are the problem and I am all in favor of solving problems. Now, go whine and cry like the little children you are. Oh, and don’t ever try to tell me what I can or can not say. You Democrats and Libraterds are not qualified to do that.

LVS Reply Report comment

December 6, 2015 at 9:56 am

@Larry-If you were truly American you would want to protect the people who were born here and stop taking the sides of Obama who is a closet Muslim. I will not allow a bunch of cowards to threaten my family and that is what the Liberals are doing. Mason City makes a very good soft target for the terrorist and if it were to happen here you would change you mind real fast. And, it very easily could. You have a population of Muslims who have supplied more “American” terrorist than any of the group. They could be here in two hours.

Larry

December 6, 2015 at 10:07 am

You just don’t get it do you LVS! I do not want the refugees in our country either! I agree with you! I am more Republican them to cut
            I do not want the refugees in our country either! I am not happy with how Obama runs our country, or should I say ruined our country! The difference between you and I is I have a heart! I would never want any American to be killed no matter if they agreed with me or not! For you to say if we were are lucky they will kill lefty…… That’s just asinine on your part!

LVS

December 6, 2015 at 11:04 am

@Larry-I should have said Liberals not Democrats. The emotion of the moment got the better of me. My wife is a Democrat and so are a few of my in laws and they are good people who do not understand how this can happen in our country. It is the far left that is trying to destroy the country I love and will fight for. Some of the Democrats are misguided and will vote for people like Obama and Clinton just because they are Democrats. I used to vote Democratic and the last one I voted for decided to turn the White House into a whore house and his wife didn’t even have enough class to do anything about it. That was the last straw for me. Go Trump.

LVS

December 6, 2015 at 11:06 am

@Larry-The one thing that really pisses me off is when the lefty’s attack one of our vets like the cowards are doing with David. He is a man who was willing to risk his life to protect his country and they belittle the hell out of him for it.

Anonymous Too Reply Report comment

December 6, 2015 at 2:09 am

LVS-what a horrible thing to say!

LVS Reply Report comment

December 5, 2015 at 9:47 am

Isn’t this amazing? 15 minutes before this announcement the White House was still reusing to call it terrorism. They just their agenda of destroying our rights if it is terrorism. This should stop their irrational attempt to bring in more terrorist under the garb of immigrants.

• NIT Publisher

NIT Publisher Reply Report comment

December 5, 2015 at 11:43 am

I agree. It’s time to start blaming terrorists for this one. And it’s time to call these people Islamic terrorists.