Rick Mathes emphasizes “economic winter” in Mason City with bizarre behavior

This news story was published on June 8, 2016.

Rick Mathes delivers a sarcastic wave to NIT. He and his daddy "Dick" had been delivering stares at NIT Publisher Matt Marquardt during the meeting.

Rick Mathes delivers a sarcastic wave to NIT. He and his daddy “Dick” had been delivering stares at NIT Publisher Matt Marquardt during the meeting.

MASON CITY – An outspoken supporter of a failed slaughterhouse treated the mayor and city council to a dose of silence and a dire prediction Tuesday night.

Rick Mathes, a local landlord and realtor, again took to the public podium during the latest Mason City council meeting, held Tuesday night.

Apparently still smarting from his failed efforts to revive the Prestage Foods pork plant, Mathes approached the podium with a smirk on his face and introduced himself. He stood there silent and grinning for well over one minute before he spoke. He managed to wave at an NIT camera during his charade.

Rick Mathes waves again; he's very distraught about the loss of Prestage Foods

Rick Mathes waves again; he’s very distraught about the loss of Prestage Foods

“Did that seem like a long time?” Mathes said to the mayor and council with a snide half smile. “I hope so. I was going to go 5 (minutes), but I have respect for some of the council members. That’s a good example of the economic winter you’ve set us up for.”

Dick Mathes, another landlord and father of Rick, was again at the podium as has been several times previously, lecturing about the nasty emails he claims to still receive.

After the meeting, Rick Mathes canoodled with fellow slaughterhouse supporters Brett Schoneman and Janet Solberg, laughing in the parking lot, before driving off in his candy red Cadillac.

54 Responses to Rick Mathes emphasizes “economic winter” in Mason City with bizarre behavior

June 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm

We know Rick’s thespian talents. He can play the “suck up”, “the victim”, “the scorned idealist”, and “the fool”. All badly. I can only assume his performance as an imagined elected official would be as dismal.

June 21, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Lol, no Mathes will ever – EVER – hold public office after the Prestage Saga. That is one very good thing that came out of all this.

June 21, 2016 at 1:52 pm

“If you’re in the rental business

which i do have

I’m concerned because –

in the next 10 years I’ll loose a 1000 potential renters

the majority of those people moving out of town are renters

so that market is shrinking”

‘Nuff said.

2. Anonymous...... Reply Report comment

June 13, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Who would ever use these clowns to help find a house? They have both lost it over this plant. They must have been set up to make a a lot of cash if the plant would have went through.

June 13, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Not me, not anymore, that’s for sure. So in a sense I guess they are right that for them personally there really will be a long winter. And I’m actually impressed with Dick for openly admitting that his real reason for wanting Prestige was the prospect of more victims to exploit for his slumlord business. Its nice to see him comes clean, albeit a little late.

June 13, 2016 at 3:48 pm

eew. big dick and little dick. gross

June 13, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Haha, thanks for exposing these two greedy slumlords.

5. Reggie(red) Reply Report comment

June 11, 2016 at 9:17 am

Matt, Rick waved at you. He didn’t give you the single finger salute or mouth “Vacuum” did he? Why the anger?

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

June 11, 2016 at 10:23 am

Reg, Ricky isn’t dumb enough to flip me off during a council meeting for two reasons: 1) Even his sycophant, the Mayor, would have to do something about that and 2) I would have to do something about that.

What you call anger I call answering the call. Ricky and his creep daddy were staring at me throughout the meeting. Glaring, you might say, prior to his mental illness fest at the podium. I guess they just don’t like me for some reason. Can you imagine that? They were looking for a confrontation, and they got one. Simple as that.

• Anon Reply Report comment

June 11, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Well Reggie, basically because it appears that Matt Marquardt has NPD (narcissitic personality disorder).

Narcissists pay attention only to themselves and the things that affects them personally.
      They are extremely sensitive to personal criticism and extremely critical of other people.
      Narcissists are naive and vulnerable, pathetic really, no matter how arrogant and forceful their words or demeanor.

The most telling thing that narcissists do is contradict themselves and Marquardt does that frequently.
      It’s also interesting to note that these traits are characteristics of normal six-year-olds.

Trying to reform narcissists by reasoning with them or by appealing to their better nature is about as effective as pissing into the wind.
      What you see is what you get, they have no better nature or abilities and are emotionally flawed.

• Reggie(Red) Reply Report comment

June 13, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I have to give Matt credit, he left your comment without deleting it even though is was not too flattering to him. I’m not sure of your diagnosis but I think he has one H**l of a temper. Would not want to meet him in a dark alley. Those wiry types are scary LOL

June 9, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Matt,

Great comments here, North Iowa Today Rocks!!! Best news around, keep it going!!!

7. whatever Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 7:05 pm

This guy sure thinks he somebody and he is trying with his antics to keep people from speaking up. Hate to tell him but he puts his pants on just like everyone else. Good job Matt on showing what kind of person he is.

8. Ray Wenrich Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 9:55 am

Rick showed what an idiot he is.

9. it's hard to find good help Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 9:16 am

You should fire your cameraman for being so aggressive and offensive. Calling people names on camera? Asking them if they want to “take it outside”? Was he drunk, high, stupid or a cocktail of all three?

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 10:04 am

You can’t fire the boss, moron. Maybe Ricky should learn some manners, or grow a pair.

• it's hard to find good help Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 11:17 am

Holy crap! The BOSS was acting like that? That is the kind of hard hitting news coverage that we have come to expect from….. NO REAL NEWS SOURCE EVER. You took the podium to address another audience member?!? You might want to do something to address your poor impulse control problem.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 5:42 pm

You think the Globe and KIMT and Bobby Fisher are “real news”? You need to be medicated; they are total frauds. Anyway, I’ll explain it to you. When someone calls me out, they get answered. Ricky thought he could mock me Tuesday night. I called him out in front of his creepy daddy and the audience. See how it works, dummy?

• Anonymous

June 9, 2016 at 11:02 pm

“Called you out”? Did you edit that part out?

• watching Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I thought it was refreshing to see Matt stand up for himself. It was obvious this Mathes guy has some mental problems that maybe now he can get some help for.

• it's hard to find good help

June 10, 2016 at 7:15 am

It would ACTUALLY be refreshing to see him not try to pick a fight or become outraged at the gaze of someone he finds his lesser.

• watching

June 10, 2016 at 8:26 am

“its hard to find good help” Your right Rick Mathes should not try to start a fight and he was the aggressor here. Rick must comes to grips with the facts the majority of the people didn’t want this plant and his opinion is not fact.

• Anonymous

June 10, 2016 at 9:52 am

The majority wanted this. The vocal minority did not. Now it will be built in Hampton and they will live here and we will not be compensated for it. Hampton wins and we lose.

• watching

June 10, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Sorry but the vocal majority did not want this plant built here. For the pro Prestage people you should have gotten off your butts and waited your turn to speak at the council meetings. You have no one to blame but yourselves for this failing. Our government worked like it is suppose to on this issue the will of the people was heard.

10. Reality Check Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 9:31 pm

How sad and unprofessional. The Mathes boys made fools of themselves. A pathetic business practice to publicly whine and cry like children.

• IowaBoy Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Everything said here about Rick Mathes is true. He is a self-serving arrogant ass and just the type of person we don’t need on the city council.

11. rukidding Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Well Rick Mathes has proven himself the kook people were talking about. I wonder if he is the racist Solberg was talking about also.

12. Jim Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Is Rick Gay? I think he was seen in a gay embrace in Des- Monies

June 8, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Was he at the same gay bar you frequent?

June 9, 2016 at 2:51 pm

No he is not….he has a pretty wife and children… He is just nice looking and sytlish… unlike most people in this blue collar town!!

• Reality Check Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Stylish and a real class act as seen here in this video.

13. sad gal Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I wouldn’t let a “Mathes” sell my dog house !

Do Mason Citians know that Charles City turned down Prestage late last Fall?

June 8, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Does Rick know how stupid he looks acting like a little girl?

15. Robert Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I’ve known Rick for a long time and when someone mentions his name to me, this is what I think of:

He is a snarky little twit but will be real nice to you if he thinks that it is to his benefit.
    But he’ll also turn his back on you in a heartbeat.

Rick Mathes is the epitome of a backstabbing SOB and I wouldn’t trust him for anything.

16. Polio Loco Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 5:14 pm

I KNEW I smelled toupee glue!!!

17. watching Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Doesn’t his daddy drive a red caddy too. Does he do everything his daddy does.

18. watching Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Way to call out this guy Matt. He is entitled to his opinion on the Prestage deal just like everyone else but he can’t handle the truth that a super majority of people in Mason City thought this was a bad deal for us. Also Ricky if you want to antagonize a person you should at least be man enough to stand toe to toe with them.

• johntravis Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 10:09 pm

What super majority are you talking about?! Do you have proof of that super majority? The truth is there were twice as many names on a petition in support of the Prestage deal as the antis collected against it.

June 9, 2016 at 5:29 am

1700 signatures, most collected by coercion. It was posted on the progress pages to bug your neigbors,spouses, coworkers till they signed. Yup bet all 1700 names were legit. NOT!

• Anonymous #3 Reply Report comment

June 10, 2016 at 12:02 am

I guess twice as many people should have stood up and talked in favor of it at the council meeting then. Fact of the matter is there were three council meetings and a super majority spoke up against the slaughterhouse at those council meetings. Where was everybody that supported it? Why did not more people show up to support it at the council meeting? Can you answer any of these questions?

June 13, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I randomly picked about a dozen unusual names from that list and ran them against white pages. A couple I could not locate, a couple were out of state. The rest were all old men with rural addresses all over Iowa. Most likely 100% pig farmers. Closest one lived outside Nora springs. Not ONE was a Mason City resident that would have been on the hook socially and financially. So much for the prestige “majority”.

19. what a dork Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 1:39 pm

The only people having “economic winter” are the douchebags who continue to rant and rave about not getting their way about a slaughterhouse coming to town. Had these people acted more businesslike in the first place, maybe their business wouldn’t be affected negatively. As it is, I would NEVER buy a house from these two clowns. They have really, really done themselves in. Get over it and maybe people will forget it. Keep bringing it up and we’ll all remember you for the greedy, slightly off-kilter people you portray, more and more.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I agree with your opinion. Those of us with very successful businesses can only shake our heads at Ricky’s apparent need for a slaughterhouse to fill his rental units. We saw this with Jean Marinos, too, sitting in the audience at Branstad’s charade of a press conference, doing the Queen of England clap every two minutes. These people are burdened with greed and failure in life; clinging to a death palace for pigs only highlights their predicament. If Ricky had any brains under that salt n peppa scalp, he’d think about re-designing his pathetically out-of-date realty website, circa 1999. Oh, and Ricky, the white socks with the sandals… almost as obnoxious as your beat up leather jacket. Really kid, get a clue.

• johntravis Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 10:06 pm

This is your response? Shallow personal attacks in support of someone else’s shallow personal attacks?! Just sad.
        If you don’t like the Mathes’ fine, that is your right to do so, but realize your type of comment just makes you look small. Slaughterhouse? Are you a vegetarian? I doubt you are. Or do you just think meat just comes from the grocery store by magic. The Mathes’ are correct in that it will be a long long time before another economic opportunity like this one comes along. Site selectors, those are companies hired to help other companies choose a location for expansion, find out how cities react to previous opportunities. How will they regard Mason City now with the types of comments that are made here? Wake up.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 10:50 pm

I’m awake, Stan. Your slaughterhouse won’t be coming to town, I hate to break it to you; you are angry enough, clearly. It’s really none of your business what I eat. I’m sure you eat bacon and ho-hos by the dumpster load, and I reckon you’re dam proud of that. I try not to eat garbage, if you must know. I have almost cut red meat out of my diet 100%. I don’t eat pig too much; I do like bacon, but I’d happily do without it. I think animals are treated badly in the big ag system. By the way, we have 5 good council members and just one raving lunatic on the board. Decent people, those 5 are. Anyway, your canned lines are right out of Robin’s big ugly mug. Take your sour grapes somewhere else.

• mint Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 4:52 am

In the case of the pig slaughter operation, small = meek Versus big = greed, also the meek shall inherit the earth.

• mint Reply Report comment

June 9, 2016 at 4:59 am

Economic reality do what every one else does “downsize” do more with less, to get through your self projected “economic winter”, celebrate enjoy a clean glass of drinking water.

20. dontlikeprestage Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 10:52 am

You know, Dick, if you’re going to wear a toupe, it should blend into your other hair, not be plopped on top like a beehive. If you’re trying to look like Warren Buffet with the glasses, and the way the toupe is combed, then do it right. I love Warren Buffet, he owns a lot of stock in Fruit of the Loom. His slogan for them? “We cover the Athes of the Mathes,” or something to that effect.

June 8, 2016 at 10:31 am

Rick is a horrible realtor and landlord. He promised us time to move into a property and work on it since it was in horrible condition, but he began charging us right away. We ripped out flooring that was super old and probably contained some nasty chemicals all for free. He did not notify us that he was raising the rent after 2 years and apparently we “got behind” because we weren’t paying the correct amount for 6 months! He left us with no air conditioning for almost a year while our clients sweated to the point of heat exhaustion. He even tried to sell me insurance the moment I signed the lease on the building. He is a super crooked landlord and I would NEVER do business with him again!

June 8, 2016 at 10:13 am

Candy ASS! What a weirdo. ZERO anything. Give it up and go back to living under daddy before you think you’ve become someone. No one ever heard of you. You make ZERO sense anyway.

June 8, 2016 at 10:04 am

Really, everything with these 2 is me, me, me. Grow up and stop acting like a bunch of babies. Move on.

June 8, 2016 at 9:58 am

What is the point of this article??

25. johntravis Reply Report comment

June 8, 2016 at 9:54 am

Just wondering, does NIT normally report news or opinion. Because this article is filled with snarkness.