Doug Nelson files nomination papers for Supervisor race

This news story was published on March 22, 2014.

Doug Nelson

Doug Nelson

MASON CITY – Doug Nelson, a rural Clear Lake farmer, filed papers for candidate nomination with the Cerro Gordo County Auditor’s office on Friday, March 21. He is seeking the Democratic party’s nomination for county supervisor to be determined by the Primary Election on June 3rd.

Nelson is the second Democrat to file papers and is the only announced candidate who lives in rural Cerro Gordo county.

“I filed my nomination petitions today with the County Auditor,” Mr. Nelson said Friday. “Had a great time because Supervisor Bob Amosson happened to be at hand to make it very special. He and I have had a good time of it over the years and as I said today, I never ran against Bob, just for the job. We always kept our sense of humor and I’m glad we’ve been able to stay friends.”

The deadline for filing is Wednesday, March 26th.

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
515-897-1144
or go to
BreakthoughWebDesign.com

34 Responses to Doug Nelson files nomination papers for Supervisor race

1. catering Adelaide Reply Report comment

April 2, 2014 at 4:22 am

Hello there, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this article. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

2. Lehigh Reply Report comment

March 23, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Ok so look’s like Doug Nelson is Mediator, got no problem with that if it is true. Nothing wrong using fake name most of us do. Yes Matt your right, who ever gets in, they will have to put up with that greedy puke Urdahl and his lackey Dougherty. Phil is a nice man but he is about as smart as a box of pancake mix. One thing we do know, Doug Nelson will not take no order’s from Gary Blodgett like the one’s we got in there now.

• Steve Reply Report comment

March 25, 2014 at 9:07 am

I don’t think someone that worked at Lehigh should be judging anybody on the academic standing.

3. BCN Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 6:28 pm

You have some good and interesting ideas Doug. Your thoughts on de-rating County Supervisor pay is intriguing.
    Look forward to hearing more from you.

One suggestion however, new pictures with different posture.
    All of your pictures show your head leaning to the right, and it is well known fact that leaning to the right is a sign of, well you know….. 🙂

I will check in on your Facebook page to see where you are speaking/meeting so I can learn a little more about your candidacy.

• Mediator Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I’m intrigued by what you think leaning to the right signifies. I have no idea.

• BCN Reply Report comment

March 23, 2014 at 8:31 am

Just a little attempt at political humor, as since Doug Nelson is a Democrat, leaning to the right is not a good thing.

• Mediator Reply Report comment

March 23, 2014 at 8:43 am

I see.

Actually, in CGDistrict2, leaning to the right would be pretty welcome.

• LVS

March 23, 2014 at 9:31 am

@Mediator-I would much rather see you in the center and supporting the good on both sides. The problem with government is the politicians are so busy fighting eachother they don’t represent the people.

• Philosophus

March 23, 2014 at 9:40 am

LVS, nothing you say matters. You’ve proven that you harass and belittle citizens who step up and try and make a difference. You’re a worthless turncoat, who sometimes is in a tolerant mood, and most of the time is cranky and ornery. UR not believable and not relevant.

• Mediator

March 23, 2014 at 9:47 am

I don’t support partisanship in decision making. I think the best government is one that hears out everyone and puts together a reasoned decision for the protection and advancement of the community. In mediation, the key to being able to reach agreement is that each side feels they were heard, even if the decision ultimately turns away from their original position.

It’s one thing to be partisan to rally at a convention, another when making law.

• BCN

March 23, 2014 at 9:47 am

So mediator, you are saying that Bob Amosson is too liberal?

• Mediator

March 23, 2014 at 9:56 am

If by your question, BCN, you thought that I was saying that leaning to the right would be welcome was to imply Bob wasn’t conservative enough, that’s incorrect.

I was only speaking to the make-up of the registered voters and their voting habits. They vote Republican nearly twice as often as Dem. Lots of Independents there, too.

So a Democrat leaning right would be more welcome than leaning left.

• Philosophus

March 23, 2014 at 10:00 am

You could always trick the population by putting up green political yard signs. It works to confuse the youth into believing you may be some sort of Independent Green Candidate. Seemed to work for the last elected guy in Clear Lake. Also helps to have the entire Republican Establishment behind you but yet not admitting you’re engaged with the Republican Party during a NON-PARTISAN city council election.

• Mediator

March 23, 2014 at 10:14 am

Following up on my comments about being heard: it’s common that the more someone feels they are being shut down, then they will become more verbose.

On this board,(not to pick on Philly, but as an example) that is possibly being played out by Philly and those that tease him about leaving/being quiet.
            It is mirrored in the actions of bikers to rattle Philly’s windows.

If you seek to silence, you invite more volume.

• Philosophus

March 23, 2014 at 11:40 am

I think at this point, police actually get off on allowing loud bikers and vehicles with no mufflers to rattle windows and harass the population. If anyone has studied Nazi Germany they’d realize a close symbiosis occurred between the ruling party and brown-shirted thugs, who Nazis employed to intimidate and harass the population, helping them to gain power. Similar situation is occurring here…on much diminished level. I have ZERO respect for officials who allow and employ such tactics.

• BCN

March 23, 2014 at 2:05 pm

How many mediators does it take to change a lightbulb?
            It isn’t the mediator’s function to change the lightbulb.

The mediator will explore with the lightbulb how it feels about the on and off nature of its job, its unhappiness at always having to work nights.

The darkness seems hostile to the lightbulbs and telling them to go and unscrew themselves.
            The mediator will allow it to vent its anger and express its distress at how it always feels unwanted.
            In the end, nothing gets changed…

• LVS

March 23, 2014 at 2:06 pm

@Philly-Only you, you ignorant piece of worthless crap.

• Mediator

March 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm

@BCN- LOL.

Not true!!! The amount of money in the mediator’s pocket should have changed!

4. CarletonFrisk Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Who in the hell is ol’ sleepy dude? That’s funny as hell. Matt,…you’re my idol. Goddamn, I’ll be laughing all night about this tired old fellar. Rock on bro.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 7:32 pm

With all the effort this man puts into snagging stray pop cans and scarfing free lunches there’s no wonder why he is tuckered out. Hard work cruising easy street.

• Just My Opinion Reply Report comment

March 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Dead on, Matt. Ask anyone who works for CG county about a tour the conservation board sponsors each fall. County officials are given the tour, along with free lunch. Urdahl brings his entire family for the free lunch. From what I’ve heard, he’s the only official who does that. What a moocher.

5. Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Mr. Nelson, if you win, how in the world are you going to work with THIS?

• LVS Reply Report comment

March 23, 2014 at 6:25 pm

@Matt-My wife saw the picture of Urdahl and wanted to know if he was dead. She has known him and his family for years. She grew up in the North End.

6. LVS Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm

If you are really Mediator Doug I am surprised that you are not honest enough to stand behind your own name here on N.I.T. Everyone else running for a public office has been honest enough to do that. If that is the case it just makes me wonder what kind of a supervisor you would make. A person who will not stand behind his name is probably not someone who can be trusted.

• Mediator Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for the advice, “LVS”.

• LVS Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 3:46 pm

@Mediator-just trying to help. I would hate to see you lose the election over something like that.

• Mediator Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I’ve had a lot of years posting on different message boards and I’ll offer this to all.

Any board that has anonymous posters which you can’t delete as necessary is not one on which you want to use your real name.

It’s not dishonest nor untrustworthy, it’s just good sense, in my opinion.

Others can type in and pretend to be you, completely misrepresenting your positions.

If you want to talk to Doug Nelson, try this facebook page

• Philosophus

March 22, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Mediator, I agree with you wholeheartedly. AS a person who recently ran for public office myself, I echo what you stated: When people are allowed to post anonymously with no repercussions it’s NOT WISE to use your real name. It allows your enemies the chance to snipe bullets at you, without ever giving away their position. HOw fair fight is that? Nowadays I utilize anonymous handles. I say this not castigating NIT…only realizing the realities of blogging.

• Matt Marquardt

March 22, 2014 at 7:30 pm

That pretty much sums it up.

• LVS

March 22, 2014 at 6:40 pm

@mediator-I really wasn’t trying to be nasty with my comment and I do agree there are some things that are better by staying anonymous. I stay anonymous because there are lots of strange folks in this world today and even though this is an opinion blog you never know about some people. I have no stake in your election and really wish you the best. New blood is always good especially in politics. I am a firm believer in term limits for every elected official.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Whoever Mediator is, he/she brings a sound discussion and voice of reason to the message board here, and we should not castigate him/her for that. Thanks for posting to NIT, Mediator.

• Mediator Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 4:40 pm

My pleasure, Matt. Thanks for hosting.

7. Philosophus Reply Report comment

March 22, 2014 at 10:11 am

Congratulations Mediator. I think you’ll do a fine job. AT least you engage in dialogue and debate. I hope you win.

• Gary Reply Report comment

March 28, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Are you speaking about Clear Lake City Council
      Member Hugi? If so, perhaps you are better to address
      him directly at the Council meeting.