Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Founded October 1, 2010


Basement explosion sends firefighters to Mason City house



This news story was published on July 19, 2019.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

120 5th Street NW
(Beacon)

MASON CITY – A basement explosion sent firefighters to a Mason City house Thursday morning.

On July 18, 2019 at 8:31 AM, the Mason City Fire Department responded to an explosion in the 400 blk of N. Adams. The house located at 120 5th Street NW was the location of the explosion and fire.

When the Mason City Fire Department arrived, two walls along with several windows of the house were displaced from the explosion. There was a small fire in the basement of the house. Mason City Fire Department staff quickly secured the scene, searched the house for occupants, and extinguished the fire. No civilians or firefighter/medics were injured.

The explosion was caused by a leaking gas pipe in the basement that was ignited by the pilot light of the furnace. The explosion caused items stored in the basement to start on fire.

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
515-897-1144
or go to
BreakthoughWebDesign.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available

5 Responses to Basement explosion sends firefighters to Mason City house

  1. Allen Reply Report comment

    July 19, 2019 at 12:42 pm

    When I first heard about it I thought, what were they cooking.

    • Anonymous Reply Report comment

      July 19, 2019 at 3:43 pm

      Always think positive Allen your day will go much better!

      • Anonymous Reply Report comment

        July 19, 2019 at 5:32 pm

        Its hard to think/post positive on such a negative site, thanks to certain posters.

  2. Anonymous Reply Report comment

    July 19, 2019 at 11:59 am

    That’s not cool. Looks like it was a nice place. Kimt made it sound abandoned. usually that means a shit hole with boards on the windows around here at least.

    • Anonymous Reply Report comment

      July 24, 2019 at 3:34 am

      I find it hard to believe it was abandoned when photos elsewhere showed clothing hanging by the blown out widows on one side of the building, and a cupboard with appliances in it where the wall was blown out on the other side. Plus, the first floor in the main part of the building had drapes in all the windows. Is that an example of an abandoned building?