This news story was published on February 10, 2013.

Editorial by Matt Marquardt –

If you read my publication NorthIowaToday.com, you are fully aware that I am not a fan of the Mason City Globe Gazette newspaper.

I have editorialized for over 2 years that the Globe is now an operation in a free fall from its once-lofty perch as a respected media that will do anything for an advertising dollar and does not work hard for the truth.  This was the cornerstone to my motivation to create NorthIowaToday.com.  I knew that by providing hard-hitting truth and coverage to local events – NorthIowaToday.com would be different.

It is my opinion that the Globe Gazette will cheat its readers – what is left of them – to further the cause of the so-called rich and elite in Mason City to stay in the good graces of the business community. As a former employee, I know the pressure Globe management faces every year to “make the year” and turn in a bottom line that Lee corporate can appreciate. This pressure has corrupted and destroyed our newspaper.

It is now common knowledge that the Mason City Council has taken one of the final steps to complete Mayor Eric Bookmeyer’s long quest to destroy Human Rights in Mason City.  Through his hard work and manipulation, the council will soon make final approval of a massive budget cut to the Mason City Human Rights agency.  A cut that will lead to an ineffective – and eventually out of business – Human Rights agency.

Today, February 10th, 2013, the Mason City Globe Gazette published an editorial that stated “we agree with a decision by the council to cut the Mason City Human Rights.”  You can read that editorial here.

Only days ago, I received from a third party an old newspaper clipping.  That newspaper clipping – shown below – is an editorial published in the Mason City Globe Gazette on March 20th, 1988.  Just about 5 weeks shy of 25 years ago.  A different time in Mason City – and as you will read, a different time at the Globe Gazette.  In this editorial, the Globe Gazette Editorial Board strongly advocates for keeping Human Rights and Director Lionel Foster’s Department fully intact.

The Globe Gazette has now sold out the poor, the down-trodden, and the mis-treated one final time to bow to its elite masters who want Human Rights out of Mason City.  Read both Globe Gazette editorials and form your own opinion.

globe-editorial-keep-foster-1985

25 Responses to EDITORIAL: Globe Gazette proves today it is no longer a cornerstone of truth and justice

February 17, 2013 at 2:52 am

Every time I need a good laugh I drop in on this site. (Please don’t ban me – laughter is healthy.)

February 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I get your point here, but I think many things have changed since the original editorial, not the least of which the budget.

Over that amount of time a lot can change, including opinions and stances. If they had published that editorial 6 months ago I would say it was relevant.

3. 4ever49 Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Matt – I did not imply or say truthful news is less profitable. Nor do I agree that the Globe covers some, ignores others or the truth as it suits them.
    Their shrinking revenue, employment base and assets are, however, very much tied to the advent of internet based information technology – the same technology you are pursuing in an attempt to replace them.

4. ConcernedCitizen Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Truth being derived from an Op-Ed??? Who has ever heard of such a silly thing? I’m of the same opinion with you about the general lack of truth in the GG. However, thank goodness nobody has pulled rank on some of NIT’s Op-Ed pieces! Peter Children has written some op-ed pieces that are way out in left field and we all know they have no representation of NIT’s political stance on the issues.

5. Reggie Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Matt,what is this TRUTH you keep speaking of?I really would like to know. You say the Globe doesn’t speak the truth in an opinion piece? It’s their opinion.They did not state absolutes, just their opinion. You obviously don’t agree but that is your OPINION. What falsehood did the Globe state? Matt , I know you think you are right in this controversy but you do not have a monopoly on everyone’s opinion. Kind of funny you agreed with the Globe 25 years ago when it fit your agenda but now that it doesn’t, you trash them.

• Reggie Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Matt if what you meant to say was truthiness, then it makes perfect sense.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Garbage belongs in the trash, doesn’t it, Reggie?

6. Jordyn Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Matt… I think you should start up a newspaper to compete with the globe to run them out of business.

7. happyguy Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I have changed my mind on a lot of things in the past 25 years. I would venture to guess most of use have. In order to grow and mature you have to change your mind.

• 50 miles south Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 11:22 pm

do you think this also holds true for the United States constitution? weather its gun control or religion in public.

8. 4ever49 Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 11:34 am

So Globe management is required to “make the year” by turning in a bottom line and the pressure to do that has “corrupted and destroyed our newspaper”. Why are you surprised by that Matt?
    First, the paper is Lee’s paper, not “our” newspaper. It is a business and without putting something to the bottom line will eventually cease to exist – nothing new in that.
    As to Bookmeyer’s long quest to destroy Human Rights here in Mason City, I see it as his attempt to make effective use of limited taxpayer dollars. “Human rights” are not on the line here, just the local office which is a duplicative service we no longer should be paying for at the historic levels.
    As to the Globe selling out the “poor, down-trodden and mistreated”; this is merely the mistaken assumption on your part as to the mission of the paper.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I’m glad you can admit that the Globe is no longer our newspaper, 49. It just happens to exist here publishing what it claims to be news. It is not a staple of the community as other newspapers in other towns are. I’m glad you can admit that out-of-towners are pulling the strings (Lee in the Quad Cities). Your admission that the Globe is justified in striving for the largest bottom line possible further upholds your argument that news is a secondary concern to the Globe; profits are first, even to the detriment of the community. I’m glad we have that straight.

It’s a shame you agree with this reality.

• 4ever49 Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Matt – reality is just that – real not imaginary. There is no shame in acknowledging that.
        Apparently you possessed by the notion that a newspaper is supposed to be some sort of altruistic institution that is somehow above the fray striving to emit “truth” as you see it. This is journalism school idealism & fiction in my opinion.
        A paper swims in the same waters as all other for profit organizations. Even if the Globe were non-profit on purpose it cannot continue to operate forever with deficits. As to their “news” being secondary, am I to take it that your “news” is more truthful than theirs?
        As to out-of-towners pulling strings – aren’t all sorts of enterprises (Lehigh, Curries, all big box stores, grocery stores, hospital, banks, etc.) with a location here in Mason City pulled by the strings of their parent organizations?

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 3:12 pm

By your logic, 49, truthful news is less-profitable. We can plainly see the Globe believes this; they seem to have decided that it is more profitable to cover up for certain folks and ignore the truth when it suits them. A sad correlation. Problem for the Globe – and Lee – is that their revenues continue to shrink and shrink as they shed employees and assets. Perhaps their business plan is flawed.

9. BIG NIT FAN Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 11:22 am

Matt you use the term “elite.” Having known you for years, I can safely assume you use that term loosely. I know a lot of these “elites” as you call them and most of them couldn’t run the Target Snack Bar. They fell ass-backwards into any wealth they have or inherited it from their families or maybe their wife is rich and makes big bucks as a doctor. Some of them haven;t had a job in years and are total frauds. They are only elite by accident. Just making that clear.

10. ArmBears Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 10:34 am

NIT: You provide an excellent alternative news source. Just stop with the ongoing pissing contest with the GG.

11. really anonymous Reply Report comment

February 11, 2013 at 9:04 am

That was 25 years ago! I bet if you dig deeper you will find that they opposed horseless carriages at some point in history too.

February 11, 2013 at 7:42 am

Socialism and propaganga (globe) just like the czar obammmmer >

13. John Reply Report comment

February 10, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I agree with Matt’s post here, there has been a change with the Globe position on this issue, but at the same time, technology has changed so much from 1988 to now. The complaints can be filed on line with the state.

With conferance calling and the web that was rare for poeple in 1988, I think it is fair to say we can cut back on this department. We could still save it for where local visual inspection is needed and help with the web and conference calls to the state but I don’t think they need a full staff.

February 10, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Statues, $100,000.00 to the wealthy owners of Harley Davidson Motorcycles, thousands to NIACC and the Papa-john Center, thousands spent for unnecessarily remodeling City Hall, and the list goes on and on.

Nothing for Human Rights!

I am pissed off.

The Chamber, Business Community, Mercy Hospital, NIACC and the uptown elite better speak out against this injustice and right this wrong.

February 10, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Howard Queery the publisher of the Globe Gazette should be ashamed of himself!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Hacks Reply Report comment

February 10, 2013 at 6:13 pm

This is rich. You mean to tell me that a news source in direct competition with the Globe has bad things to say about them? I’m shocked!

17. Just me Reply Report comment

February 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm

What does being an ex employee have to do with it? The truth is the truth!
    Y

18. Anon Reply Report comment

February 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm

nothin like a disgruntled former emplyee.

19. odom602 Reply Report comment

February 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm

thank god I’m no longer an employee of that place. I wouldn’t be able to look at myself in the mirror if I did.