Op-ed: Who will be reading your mail?

This news story was published on January 16, 2012.

by Sandy Servantez –

I was at the landfill meeting last Thursday evening and was looking for Janet Solberg so I could get her opinion how she felt about this CES or whatever their company name is now (yes another name change here again).

Well, guess what, she was know where to be found again.  I have brought it up to her many times why I feel as her being our voice for 4th ward she should be at any meeting that CES is involved in.  If she had been at the meeting I wounder how she  would have felt when it was brought up that people are going to be going through her garbage, my garbage and yours and seeing everything you have thrown away.  You may have a shredder and I may have a shredder and most companies have them. What if someone may miss something that has private information on it, such as bank account numbers or medical records?  This concerns me very much and should also concern all citizens of Mason City.

31 Responses to Op-ed: Who will be reading your mail?

Katie Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm

You want the government to provide everyone with free shredders????? Really??? Have you ever heard of scissors? They even sell cheap shredding scissors at some places. If we give you free shredders, pretty soon you’ll want someone to come to your homes once a week to do the shredding for you, free of charge. How lazy are some of you?

Our government is BROKE. We should be doing MORE for ourselves and expecting LESS of our government.

betty Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm

The lady at NIVC probably had a tight schedule at work too but she found time to steal money. Crooks make time to get the job done. They figure out a way. Just saying you cannot say without a doubt that may not happen. It just presents an opportunity and how would you prove anything?

Tom Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 8:25 am

I have worked in recycling as a sorter. We had no time to read mail. I feel this is a non issue. I’m not for this plant, however scare tactics are not fact.

Kinkyh Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 10:17 am

Well spoken, Tom.

Shutta Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yeah yeah, but the guys that do my recycling take off my Casey’s pizza coupons to collect 10 & get one free! Seen it with my own eyes A LOT!!!!

Sick of it Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm

If you are dumb enough to leave caseys coupons on the box and then WATCH a city worker get paid (by you) to remove them and get free pizza and NOT call and complain, you are getting what you deserve. Stop whining.

Sick of it Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 7:11 am

“Well, guess what, she was know where to be found again.” Why are illiterate people allowed to submit articles to this website?

Shutta Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 8:29 am

Oooooh you’re a human spellcheck. Impressive. The article is very true & informative. Quit critiquing everyone elses comments & get a life.

wow Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I agree with Sick Of It. As someone who ran to be a representative of our city, I would hope that Sandy would at least proofread her rants before shipping them off to be published..

Sandy Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I am not illiterate Thank you very much. I know how to read and I know how to spell but I am not perfect. I made a spelling mistake if that is the only thing you got out of this article that’s pretty sad. Let me know how it is to be perfect.

wow Reply Report comment

January 18, 2012 at 9:44 am

Sandy, everything you write is riddled with grammatical errors. It makes you come off as unintelligent. I’m simply suggesting that before you publish something you have someone else read through it so that you will be taken more seriously..

Shutta Reply Report comment

January 18, 2012 at 10:37 am

Calling & complaining that a city worker also paid by you is stealing coupons is not stupid. If I don’t want them, that’s my business, doesn’t mean they are up for theft. He could ask & I may give them to him, but city workers are not that honest. Shameful.

January 17, 2012 at 6:20 am

Solbergs unique perspective. You have to be kidding. She hasn’t had an original idea since she got on the council.

jerry Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Microenterprise programs have supposedly worked somewhat in third world countries but not so much in the U.S. There are many reasons for this and if you look the issue up you will find this out.I am concerned that our elected officials have come up with these bright ideas but if they had done further research they would have found that info too. Are they just brainstorming and not assigning anyone the task of doing real research on this stuff?

Guest 2 Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Remember Margaret Thatcher said “the trouble with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money”. Looks like we could be headed in that direction.

A Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Funny thing about Margaret Thatcher’s statement about “other people’s money”, all governments run on other people’s money not just socialists.

FYI Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Progressive and Communist/Socialist are the same thing.

We need to call them as they are.

When we get right down to Mason Cities elected leaders?

They are Communist/Socialists plain and simple. All of them!

Peter L Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

And guess what? Even strong Tea Party Capitalists have misfortune that befalls them. Sometimes a child is born handicapped or needing some special services…then I’ll bet those reclusive tea partiers are mighty glad that “socialist” programs for the disabled exist to help take the burden off of them and their families. There are so many socialist services that Tea Partiers have benefited from that they are essentially complete frauds for touting themselves as something they are not. The only real staunch libertarian was Henry David Thoreau and perhaps Grizzly Adams and Pa Ingalls. The rest of these guys are bozo imposters. Even the Una bomber was more independent than many of these fake folks.

Guest 2 Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Uh oh. If Solberg did not show up at the meeting for the landfill then she doesn’t know that the outside expert noticed some problems with the trash flow and money. Don’t you think the decision makers should be attending all the meetings? I call that lazy.

Ed Florsheim Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Lazy for sure. Not working hard for mc to say the least. Sandy you should run in 4TH ward next election. We know you would do your homework.

Dan Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Razors in trash reveal DNA. What if they need a kidney and are looking for a match?

Joe Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I can’t believe anyone would be concerned that people are going to read infor about them from their garbage. Identity theft has been an issue for a decade. If you aren’t protecting yourself now, you better get with it. It’s not up to the city or anyone else to protect you. Do it yourself. I can’t beleive anyone would suggest that government should supply shredders. Come on people. Be responsbile for your self and your own privacy.

Fienstein Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Absolutely. If the trash plant opens, MC should buy all households a shredder, just as it provided recycling bins.

Guest Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 5:58 pm

And if Solberg were to show up at a Landfill Board meeting, all of the arm-chair whiners around here would deride her for trying to apply undue influence on behalf of the city council… smh… people here amaze me… they want city council people to do things they shouldn’t, get all honked-off when they do the things they should. Unfreakingbelievable.

betty Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Sandy has a real point. Personal trash can reveal medical health (pill bottles, insulin syringes) financial health (boxes and packaging reveal what types of products you buy, whether low or high end). Political and religious affiliations (church newsletters). NRA membership info. You name it. Should we spend hours shredding everything? How convenient. And those of us that have senior moms and dads living independently but maybe they forget to shred every bank statement? They tell you to make sure you put new Christmas gifts boxes (e.g. flat screen tv) in a garbage bag so you will not be a victim of theft. I suppose none of the 50 employees would ever be involved in stealing? You never know, remember the NVIC lady stealing?

jerry Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 5:38 pm

How about someone open a business using funds through the micro-enterprise program via the NIACC Pappajohn Center supplying shredders cheap (maybe city subsidized) to Mason City residents. Then we could get double dinged in taxes but look like we are a forward thinking, progressive city.

betty Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 5:28 pm

News flash. Some people do not have shredders. Maybe Mason City should buy everyone a shredder at a low cost (like recycling bins) to make it fair for everyone. Identity theft is huge and it is unfair to place people in that circumstance.

Observer Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm

A lot of people don’t have a shredder, but the next best thing their fingers. Bottom line, if you don’t want information to leave your home, it is up to you, not anyone else.

ralph Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Sandy you need to replace Solberg. Pleasr give it a shot come election time.

Observer Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I hate to say this, but sensitive information should be destroyed prior to it leaving your possession. Businesses do it all the time now. As I said elsewhere, I like burning what I don’t want public. But a shredder does just as good.

In addition MSW has to be shredded down to a certain size prior to being fed into the vessel. I am not sure if this is before or after sorting. Most industrial shredders however are big enough to handle about any material one tosses into trash except boulders of cement. Obviously a bag will not hold something like that.

b Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm

SOLBERG DOESN’T CARE! PLAIN AND SIMPLE! REMEMBER HER BIO EXCUSE WHEN IT WAS CLOSED FOR 2 YEARS! JUST SHOW HER IGORRANCE!