CLEAR LAKE – A rural Clear Lake auto salvage yard burned to a total loss Monday afternoon.
The Clear Lake Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire Monday, November 4,2019 at approximately 1:27 PM at 7600 300th, the B-20 Auto Salvage Company, in rural Clear Lake. Upon arrival, heavy smoke and fire was coming out of shop area of an auto salvage company. The occupants of the business had safely evacuated prior to the fire department’s arrival. Firefighters concentrated efforts to protect multiple exposures and contained the fire to the building of origin. Overhaul was conducted with the assistance of company employees removing collapsed sections of steel siding and roofing material with a piece of construction equipment.
The building and contents were a total loss.
The cause of the fire was determined to be from drilling through a gasoline tank off an auto being salvaged, igniting residual gas in the tank. Damage is estimated to be over $100,000.
The property is owned, Gene Baker, did have insurance for the property.
The Clear Lake Fire Department responded with 4 companies with 15 firefighters and was assisted by the Ventura Fire Department with 3 companies and 8 firefighters. The Fertile and Hanlontown Fire Departments 2 tankers and 4 firefighters responded for additional water supply capabilities. Also assisting was the Cerro Gordo County Sheriffs Office, Iowa State Patrol and DOT traffic enforcement.
There were no injuries, but the family did lose a pet bird.