Boy who made Pop-Tart into gun shape gets NRA membership

This news story was published on May 31, 2013.

BROOKLYN PARK, Md., May 31 (UPI) — An 8-year-old Maryland boy suspended for biting his Pop-Tart into a gun shape received a National Rifle Association lifetime membership at a GOP fundraiser.

Josh Welch, who was suspended March 1 from Park Elementary School in Brooklyn Park for making a gun shape with his Pop-Tart, was presented with a $550 lifetime membership to the NRA by state House Minority Leader Nicholaus Kipke, R-Pasadena, during a Wednesday night fundraiser for Anne Arundel County Republicans, The Baltimore Sun reported Thursday.

Welch gave the certificate to his parents before returning to playing games on a cellphone at the event.

“Everyone keeps asking me why I did it,” Josh said. “I don’t know why I did it … I wish people would stop asking me about it. It’ll probably go on for 45 years or something.”

Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI).

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
515-897-1144
or go to
BreakthoughWebDesign.com

6 Responses to Boy who made Pop-Tart into gun shape gets NRA membership

1. Just My Opinion Reply Report comment

May 31, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Okay, I’ll admit it. I’ve switched sides in the gun debate. I’m a staunch Democrat who believes in the middle class and equal justice for all. But I also (now) believe that every citizen should be able to own a gun to defend their home & family from intruders. The caveat? What would be so terrible about requiring people to take a gun safety course before being able to purchase a gun? I mean, really, you have to take a safety course before you can get a MOTORCYCLE license, for god’s sake.

And yes, I now own a gun. And I know how to use it. If you’re in MY home you’re fair game. Let this be a warning.

2. LVS Reply Report comment

May 31, 2013 at 2:52 pm

It is a shame that the NRA resorted to using a little boy to promote their agenda. I am pro gun but do not think it is proper to do this to a child. Of course Slow Joe Biden and his leader Osama Obama didn’t mind using the people of Sandy Hill did they?

• LVS Reply Report comment

May 31, 2013 at 5:24 pm

@Peter L.-very well said. I have been shooting guns and bows for as long as I can remember and you are right, only point a gun at something you intend to shoot. Same with a bow, if you draw at something you had better be ready to shoot. I still have a problem with my Smith and Wesson 357 SIG not having a safety. I never carry a weapon with a shell in the chamber without a safety. Just the way I was taught. Now my 357 Ruger revolver doesn’t have that problem.

• maybe Reply Report comment

May 31, 2013 at 5:30 pm

The thing I like about my .45 is that it has 2 safties, the regular safety and the grip safety. My single action pistols I never carried with a round in the chamber but I feel safe enough with my 1911 to do so. As a weapons instructor in the military for years I agree 100% about gun safety.

May 31, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I didn’t think YOU could legally own a gun.

• maybe Reply Report comment

May 31, 2013 at 8:01 pm

The situations I have been in, I didn’t have time to chamber a round, I never had to pull the trigger but once I pulled my weapon I was face to face with a bad guy and if I took the time to chamber a round he would have had me. Sometimes you have time to do that, sometimes the only time you have is to pull your weapon and start firing.