Businessman Steve Minert announces candidacy for County Recorder

This news story was published on May 28, 2020.

Steve Minert, successful North Iowa businessman who would likely be serving in Des Moines come January had underhanded tactics not de-railed his candidacy.

MASON CITY – Steve Minert, a well-known Mason City Harley-Davidson dealer and Cerro Gordo county public official, announced today that he’s a candidate for the GOP nomination for the office of Cerro Gordo county Recorder. The incumbent, Democrat Colleen Pearce, is stepping down on June 30, after holding office since 1990. Minert and any other candidate, or candidates, will have to be nominated by a special convention of their party.

Minert, 51, has long been courted by north Iowans as a candidate for public office. In 2018, he had planned to seek the Iowa Senate seat held by Democrat Amanda Ragan, but reluctantly declined. Mr. Minert NorthIowaToday.com, “Now, my kids are adults; the youngest will soon leave for college. My businesses are doing well, and the staff at our dealerships can operate with minimal oversight. It’s time to apply some private sector methods and expertise to county government. Also, I’m not a politician and haven’t spent years on any public payroll. I’ll bring a different perspective to this position.”

The county Recorder’s office holds deeds, records of mortgages, titles and other financial documents concerning real estate, tax liens, and other such information. The office also facilitates matters relating to the DNR – the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. These responsibilities include issuing hunting and fishing licenses, and the licensing of ATVs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and Off-Road vehicles. The county Recorder frequently interacts with lawyers, accountants and finance professionals.

Minert told NIT that since graduating from the University of Northern Iowa (UNI) in 1992, he’s “probably processed 10,000 title issuances and transfers” relating to his business enterprises. Since 2015, Minert has served as a voting member of the Cerro Gordo county Compensation Board, which sets the salaries of elected officials. If elected, Mr. Minert told NorthIowaToday.com, he will resign from that influential board, per the Code of Iowa.

As a current member and former chairman of the Comp Board, Mr. Minert has long tried to rein in what he considers to be excessive compensation. Under his management, the Mason City and Charles City Harley franchises have won numerous awards, including being named as the Chamber of Commerce member of the year, twice, and – in 2019 – Harley-Davidson’s top corporate management named the Mason City store as the 75th most profitable in the world.
Minert, a registered Republican, “welcomes support from ALL voters in Cerro Gordo county.” He plans to apply an efficient, business-oriented approach to running the Recorder’s office, and – in accordance with what the county’s three Republican Supervisors are already doing – will refuse any salary increases recommended by the Compensation Board. Steve Minert and his father, Ron Minert, have for decades been extremely generous benefactors to numerous north Iowa charitable endeavors.

Minert holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science/Criminal Justice and Agency Administration, and an Associates of Arts degree from Buena Vista University.

64 Responses to Businessman Steve Minert announces candidacy for County Recorder

River City Teamster Reply Report comment

May 30, 2020 at 2:36 pm

@ 1969, as much as it pains me, I agree AnnMarie should not run, not this year. She does deserve to be our Recorder, but there are just too many Democrats who are going to vote for Minert.

Four Facebook friends already shared his announcement to their pages, and lots more pressed ‘Like’ to this article on their Facebook pages.

When you sell Harleys, you know lots of registered Democrats, and when you’re a rich Republican with wealthy Republican friends to fund your campaign, you win.

Democrat since 1969 Reply Report comment

May 30, 2020 at 12:12 pm

When Minert announced, it blew a big hole in what Colleen and Ann Marie, and others had been planning for along time.

They just never expected this situation to mess up their plans and it has.

If Ann Marie runs I will vote for her, but she won’t get any money from me, and I will ask JoAnn and Dean to not write her campaign any checks from our party account. Our limited resources should be used against Donald T Rump, and phony Joni.

Don't like liars Reply Report comment

May 30, 2020 at 11:45 am

You best hope the Minert’s don’t find out who you are you liar. If they do, loser, you better vote on absentee.

We are for Stevie Reply Report comment

May 30, 2020 at 11:48 am

LOL, good one HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!!

Stevie has got our vote’s for sure, our neighbors to and our kid’s.

Biden-Warren 2020 Reply Report comment

May 30, 2020 at 11:09 am

@ Mason City J.D. – Steve Minert is a very fair man, who values professional competence. There is no reason to think he would not keep AnnMarie in her job once he takes over as Recorder.

But this is if she decides to not run. If she does, then all bets are off. Who would want somebody on his staff that tried to keep him from getting elected?

ISEA MC chapter member Reply Report comment

May 30, 2020 at 11:36 am

@ Biden, we think alike. A good friend of mine is close to Amanda and Sharon, and he told me the same thing.

The best way to keep a good Democrat in the Recorder’s office is for AnnMarie to just stay put. She is smart, so I doubt she would risk her career to lose everything.

Not this year, anyway.

Courthouse employee Reply Report comment

May 31, 2020 at 1:52 pm

I know AnnMarie and I know Steve, and they will get along just fine.

Actually, AnnMarie is better off with Minert being elected this fall than she would be if he had to wait until 2022 to run. She, and all of us who work here, are protected until 7-1-2021. This gives AnnMarie time to show how good she really is at doing her job.

And she is very good at it, I see it myself all the time.

I would bet, most of the employees at the Harley dealerships in Mason and Charles city are Democrats and that doesn’t bother Steve. He is about results.

I would not be surprised if Minert promotes her to a Deputy position, which she doesn’t have at this time.

Old Peterbilt guy Reply Report comment

May 31, 2020 at 3:10 pm

Stevie he is use to stepping in to things some body else got going keeping at it, he does this good. Look how he step in to the Harley been running it good all these year’s. Ask me, he will do the same way with what Miss Pearce put in place this does mean keeping them same folks there that is there.

NIT Publisher

May 31, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Proud product of the MCCSD right here.

June 1, 2020 at 7:31 pm

If Minert wins and promotes AnnMarie to a Deputy, that would be a blatantly obvious “partnership/consolation”…..”sorry I won and you lost”, but hey, I’d take the bump-up in pay for doing my same job. Do they really need another “Deputy” in those offices??

May 31, 2020 at 9:16 am

Drain the swamp thing?

The Andersons Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 9:36 pm

We’ve known Steve and his family for years. They are fair in theiir businesses and bend over backwards to help however they can. There are several negative comments from people that like to hide behind a fictitious name. They shouldn’t throw stones until they put themselves out there.
    Good luck, Steve! You have our votes hands down and probably from anyone we mention it to.

Craig Miller Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 5:47 pm

I have been a dealing with Steve for several years. He has always been great to work with. He has been more than accommodating with requests asked of our business transactions.

May 29, 2020 at 5:39 pm

It looks like the yea’s have it. The HATERS get their ass beat again, just saying.

A Democrat that knows Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Let me tell you what I know. People have seen these comments. Colleen and Anna Marie, they are talking they are re-assessing things, on count of this Minert thing.

From what I do know, Anna Marie is more about keeping her job then she is about trying to run against Minert.

So don’t blame her when she decides to say she will not run, not this time.

Ok, my 2 cents.

Area Education admin. Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 8:27 pm

@ knows, Anna Marie is no fool. She has to see that running for Colleen’s job will be, for her, political and professional suicide.

I hope she understands this, because if she decides to run, she will be very upset over all the Democrats who vote for Minert.

May 31, 2020 at 7:44 am

The comment was not aimed at Ann Marie!!!

Retired from Newman Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Albeit reluctantly, I must say I agree, fully, with the MC attorney who suggests that as CG county Democrats, our party should not even consider squandering any party funds to finance Mr. Minert’s opponent, if he even has an opponent for this campaign.

Minert told the Globe-Gazette, NorthIowaToday.com, and other media in 2018 he was ready to dump $150,000 of his own, personal funds into what was to have been his campaign against Amanda, and there is no reason to think he won’t do the same thing in this race for county Recorder.

Anna Marie, as I understand things, has expressed an interest in running, and she has the blessing of Colleen Pearce in this endeavor. She is telling people she wishes to be nominated June 13, if she decides to run, according to a close friend of Mrs. Hardy.

However, in this Covid-19-influenced environment, all of the door-knocking, organization, phone banks, yard sign placement, and etc., simply will not matter, unfortunately. It is what it is, and, realistically speaking, the race for this office is not looking very good at all, for us Democrats.

This is a race which comes down to cold cash, and lots of it, which means it will go to the highest bidder.

A vastly more intelligent, superior usage of our limited funds will be to ensure that the orange devil in the White House gets tossed out, along with lame brain Joni Ernst, who is in lock-step with him.

Mason City J.D. Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 11:49 am

As a registered Democrat and contributor to Sharon and Amanda, I will call JoAnn and suggest to her that the Cerro Gordo county Democratic Central committee not provide any funds to any Democrat who may decide to run for this position.

It simply makes no sense, whatsoever, for our party to waste money on any candidate who whose defeat is such a sure thing. As well, the Recorder of Deeds is a nonpartisan job, administrative by design and per the Code of the state of Iowa.

We should focus on beating Trumpy Dumpy and Ernst.

Biden-Klobuchar '20 Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Good thinking, great idea.

This will help.

Back at ya Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Yes it would be dumb to drop even a dime on any canidate goes up against Minert.

Them rich Republitard’s they know, how to get what they want, just look at Donald T Rump.

ex-MC Library Board Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 5:03 pm

I am thinking the same way, no sense in flushing good money down the crapper.

It won’t matter how good this AnnMarie might be at her job, she can’t compete against a guy that already has a bunch of hillbillies in his pocket. If a Democratic candidate can’t get the blue collar vote, it’s over. Look how strong Donny Draft Dodger did here in Mason last time, why, he beat Hillary here.

Rednecks just love their rich dictator and our local knuckle draggers love this Harley guy. I also say no to any money for any Democrat wants to run for this.

Inquiring mind

May 29, 2020 at 5:10 pm

Does anybody know, what happens to Anna Marie if she runs, can she still keep her job in the Recorders office or can Minert fire her.

Court House AFSCME

May 29, 2020 at 5:32 pm

@ Inquiring mind, no, she would not be allowed to keep her position after 2021 if Minert wins and wants her out.

Our contract expires then. And the Republithugs down to Des Moines have stripped us county workers of most of our employee rights.

I got this straight from Amanda Ragan’s son, Charlie, who works for Danny Homan.

Best hope for Anna Marie is to not run this time.

Former CG county

May 29, 2020 at 6:02 pm

@ AFSCME, you are right.

I know Anna Marie, I will call her. She may not know what you and I know, she should not run this time.

Bernie Sanders organizer

May 29, 2020 at 8:57 pm

@ former CG, the Globe Gazette just now put up a story says AnnMarie is going to run.

Have you called her yet?

Anonymous

June 1, 2020 at 7:22 pm

@ Former CG county……her name is AnnMarie. And you said you know her??

Lisa S Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 11:22 am

Go, Steve, go!!!!!! You will win, you got our votes.

HD employee Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 9:57 am

Just ask his employees what kind of guy he is to work for? They know best.

VFW #733 Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 10:16 am

I am retired from HD worked for them for years, the Minert’s are about the best people I ever did work for, they are fair treated us like family.

There Charles City employes feel the same way from what I know. Stevie and Ron, and Hawk, they all are real good to work for, they put lot’s of value on there workers always.

I am a Democrat and Stevie, he has got my vote.

Carey Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 9:46 am

Congrats Steve, you will do a great job for the city & county. I have known Steve for over 40 years and he will serve with integrity and vigilance to root out over spending and work on new processes to make the office more efficient. He has also pledged to donate 1/2 of his salary back to charity! I have purchased several motorcycles from their dealerships and the deals have always been straight up and they have taken great care of me after the sale. Steve brings a lot of talent to the table!

Union forever Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 9:29 am

Stevie is a good man, so is Ron and Hawk to. I am a working man, he has got our votes, the wife’s and our son’s. Will ask my neighbors to vote for Stevie, he would do a great job for Recorder.

Ret'd Lehigh Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 8:03 am

I pay attention to politics around here, used to be a Democrat, not no more.

Looks to me like Minert, will get elected to Recorder of Deeds. He will win big in Clear Lake and the rural parts and get alot of MC votes.

Does anybody even plan to run against him for this.

May 29, 2020 at 8:00 am

Suggestion: Time to Consolidate the Treasure and Recorder Offices! Remember the CC Treasures Employees had excess time to send many emails for months to their Associates and Management thought they needed additional help!

May 29, 2020 at 11:19 am

100% dead on. Eliminate this position and save the money.

Scott Harms Reply Report comment

May 29, 2020 at 7:40 am

I work for the city of Fort Dodge and have known Steve for over 25 years and think he would be an excellent choice for county recorder.

May 29, 2020 at 5:46 am

Because the owner of this site is a douche-bag and a loser.
    Known him since high school. He has always been a little twit and a weasel. That is why he used to get his ass kicked.

May 29, 2020 at 11:26 am

You forgot to mention that he/she is a real pussy.
      That’s why he took up running because he was getting his/her pansy ass beat.

Matthew Amos Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 9:19 pm

This roll will be a great next step in Steve’s leadership ladder. He has a great head for business, and is very fair and levelheaded in his dealings with others. I, for one, cannot wait to see how Steve would manage this office as someone with no political loyalties.

May 29, 2020 at 11:20 am

He’ll be in rehab again by election day.

Randy Cahill Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 9:10 pm

I think Steve is well qualified for the job an would do a great job.. Steve is a great person an personal friend of mine.. I’ve known steve for over 25 plus years.. Steve is easy to get along with an when he says he’s going to do it or get it done.. He gets it done.. Steve is a successful business owner an always has returning customers.. Customers that trust an rely on him for good service..I will support Steve 100% at anything he does…. Randy Cahill

Doug Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 8:30 pm

It seems to me that he’d be perfect for the job. Good luck Steve!

Karen Anderson Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 8:08 pm

This is a fantastic. Steve is a great business man. He will be thorough and surely bring new ideas to the table. Couldn’t ask for a better option.

May 28, 2020 at 7:42 pm

I’ve known Steve as long as I’ve been alive. If one word would describe him, in ALL those years… it would be the word FAIR. I’ve never seen him act better then others, in fact I’ve only seen him treat the less fortunate with care and understanding. He is your man for ANY leader type position in a community. You can’t go wrong, you can only better whatever position Steve is put into. I myself see him going far, with my blessing, as the man to fulfill any task that he is blessed with.

Elizabeth Schukei Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 7:23 pm

Steve is more than qualified for the position of Cerro Gordo County Recorder. Looking at his bio of education along with his years of business experience are all huge plus factors for Mason City residents. He is well liked not only locally but both state and beyond. Thanks, Steve for stepping up. You have my support. Elizabeth Schukei

Vance Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 7:23 pm

I have known Steve for many years. He would be great for this position.

Kurt Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 6:55 pm

I have known Steve for years great guy! He would do a great job.

May 28, 2020 at 6:29 pm

I have known Steve for many years and he would do great in this elected position.
    He brings knowledge and experience that would benefit the county greatly

John Lucas Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 6:20 pm

I have known Steve for a number of years through association of his Harley Davidson dealership. He has always treated me and my family with the utmost respect when doing business with him. If he doesn’t think it makes sense he will let me know my best situation to do the right job. I think his qualities and expertise will be great for the County Recorder. Steve has always and will continue to get the job done the right way. Remember to get out and vote and vote for Steve Minert for County Recorder. the right man for the job!

Scott Hennagir Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 6:04 pm

I worked for Steve for a number of years, have been a customer for a number, and he has been a friend for many more. He will do well in this position and bring some new perspectives and ideas to it. I have learned a lot from him and it has only bolstered my business career over the last 15 years. He brings that knowledge and expertise to this position and I think the county will benefit greatly electing Steve to this position.

Connie Smith Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 5:58 pm

Our family is die hard democrats but in this case we will be making an exception and voting for Steve Minert. We need fresh ideas in that courthouse and good business sense which Steve brings.

Judy, a Mercy RN Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Minert will probably win, because lot’s of of voters do not like people who work in government and his opponent works for Colleen Pearce.

Minert has tried for years to stop these big raises that the compensation board always gives these politicians. But the Democrats who name “their” people to that board usually over rule him.

I am registered as Democrat but will be voting for Mr. Minert. He is not part of the mess down there and he has already shown himself to be capable.

Brian Wegner Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 4:46 pm

I have had business dealings with Steve over the past 25 years. He will bring new insight and views to the elected position that should greatly benefit Cerro Gordo county.

May 28, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Bob sounds jealous.

May 28, 2020 at 4:17 pm

At least he went, when are you going for your problem???

May 28, 2020 at 4:14 pm

And you know this how? You need to come forward and report this to law enforcement so the problem can be resolved. If I was Mr. Minert, I would hire a good attorney and have you charged with slander.

Scott Allen Harms Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Roadster "97" Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Hey Bob if the county did drug testing for the workers, I know some, would get sh!t can right now LOL!

Maybe Stevie wants get his name out for a later thing, maybe not. I do know him, he will do a great job he is very smart, good common sense.

May 28, 2020 at 12:35 pm

The county recorder is a glorified administrative assistant. Why does it need to be an elected official and why does it have to be partisan?

May 28, 2020 at 12:45 pm

Great Questions

Jane W Reply Report comment

May 28, 2020 at 1:17 pm

The Recorder for all 99 counties, IMO, is the Iowa law. Required position.

We are registered Democrats, but Mr. Minert has our vote. We have had enough career government workers taking over our court house. A smart businessman like Minert is what we need.

Looks like a bureaucrat who already works in the Recorder office wants to run for the top job. She will lose, we believe, and we pray.

May 28, 2020 at 12:21 pm

I wouldn’t vote for a person that has made a career of selling noise pollution.