Op-ed: Lack of voting has devastated Mason City (by Peter Children)

This news story was published on March 16, 2013.

Community; did you ever stop and think what that word encompass? To me it signifies a group of people living in the same proximity or area that forms a village or town, if there is enough I suppose it could be deemed a city…everyone’s definition is different.

Once that group comes together they invariably will find the need to form some sort of supervision, they need to establish rules with which to live by….so they hold elections….that’s the way it’s done in this country. And that is when the trouble starts. If you don’t believe me just open your door and look outside.

So few who live here actually vote, and that seems to be the norm across the country. A democracy is the bastion of a free society, it is a form of government that was hard fought at times resulting in the deaths numbering in the hundreds of thousands….some 600,000 in the Civil War alone; a war fought for freedom as were all wars after. The most important being that of the right to choose. Now even with the death tolls numbering over a million….few people vote.

If you want to see the result born from indifference to our most precious asset, the right to choose…. come to Mason City, Iowa.

Before you realize it the elections will be here once more; and with it comes the opportunity to scrub clean the council table….at least half of it will be on the block, and along with it will be the most egoistical, self imposing inept mayor in the last 100 years; Eric Bookmeyer. I realize not everyone reads NIT but those of us who do have almost a moral mandate to encourage your friends and neighbors to vote. Eric and the other malcontents at the council table lack the moral fortitude to resign. They all read these stories and the comments below them, it is the first thing they do when they get up and the last thing they do before retiring in the evening.

I always look forward to John Skipper’s Monday column; last Monday he warned readers not to believe everything they might hear…especially the truth. That makes sense, what could be more damaging than the truth; especially if you’re walking into tables at the Country Club and knocking over drinks. Or if you can’t walk and the city administrator has to carry you out of bars.

There is a need for common sense candidates on all levels from both genders, people who understand what real life is all about. We can bring back the HR agency with a new administration…and that should be a priority.

Peter Children

13 Responses to Op-ed: Lack of voting has devastated Mason City (by Peter Children)

1. John Reply Report comment

March 18, 2013 at 9:50 pm

This is really our chance to get “our town” back on track. We need to get organized and get out the vote. VOTE THESE BUMS OUT!!!

2. Reggie Reply Report comment

March 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Matt , I see that you took Msgordy’s comment about Peter off. I too thought it was inappropriate but that got me wondering, what is your criteria? Is it because Peter gives his real name you feel you should protect him? I have seen much worse on this site but between bloggers. Maybe you are going to try my suggestion of trying to make this site more civil:)

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

March 17, 2013 at 2:29 pm

The comment had nothing to do with the op-ed.

3. another brick in the mall Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I don’t understand Peter’s beef with the Boozemonger other than he likes to apparently get getrunken.

That’s not enough Peter. What else bugs you about the Mayor?

March 16, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Same old peter. Mayors alledgedly drunk with in public but with no proof. Everyone knows that you have a bounty with some evidence and in over three years you have provided none except supposed word of mouth. With all the technology and video phone cameras why don’t you provide some real proof. Oh I know because it is a conspiracy but only in your own mind.

4. Ananymous Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Oh Timmy I give you props for being the longest backer of your Arian race leader but have you ever really thought of what you have to gain when he is gone and nothing is left but his stink in City Hall.

5. Reggie Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Pretty good civics lecture Peter. I agree with everything you wrote except”Along with that, there are some at that table who comment here but not with their real name of course; that would require a spine, so we can rule that out.” So you and Matt want people that disagree with you to use their real names? Why don’t we start with the ones that AGREE with you like LVS,Watchdog or DRUNK. Have them start using their real names as an example for everyone else to follow or just have Matt make it a requirement to post on NIT. I have seen name calling and veiled threats aimed at those who do not agree with Matt or Peter. Unfortunately Matt did nothing about them. So you want me to use my real name? I am not crazy or foolish but I will always use my real fake name every time I post.

6. LVS Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Good article Peter. I don’t know if the problem is that people don’t want to vote or just feel their is very little choice in who to vote for. Maybe it is a combination of both. I do know in our area there just has not been much of a choice although I did vote. I think there is a lot of apathy in the voters just because they think it doesn’t matter. I certainly hope we have some decent people to choose from this time.

• Peter Children Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I have heard reports of some very good people who have indicated they are more than just a little committed to run. I am encouraged by those choices, however they feel it is still a little early to announce. We all know the problem is that the majority feel there is little that can be done….but how wrong they are. Ten minutes at the voting booth will transform this city and refresh city hall.

If we all offer to go to the polls with some you know never voted before, the results will add up fast.

• LVS Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm

@Peter Children-I talked to one of our past councilmen about running for mayor and he said he had enough and wouldn’t even consider it. It is to bad because he would have made a good mayor.

• Buzz Crumcutter Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Will your name be on the ballot this time as a candidate?

• Polio Loco Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 7:50 pm

There should have to print 3 pages worth of ballots for all of the Arm-Chair Mayors that are on here!

7. Ananymous Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm

The number one thing Silly Me forgot to include in his Monday column was to never believe himself, the toilet bowl gazette, or the Arian race fudge packer he defends. I know that’s a lot for you pro establishment to digest but take some pepto and give it a try.