This news story was published on December 20, 2012.

Photo of the 25 car crash on I-35 in northern Iowa.

Des Moines, IOWA — The sun has come up, but roadway visibility remains low due to high winds from the blizzard continuing its trek across Iowa. Limited visibility paired with roadways completely covered in snow and ice, create dangerous driving conditions for motorists. The Iowa State Patrol continues to urge Iowans to avoid travel.

At major interchanges and intersections across Iowa’s highways and interstates, traffic is becoming increasingly backed up. Roadways are being blocked by stalled and stuck vehicles. In some instances semis have jack-knifed, derailing traffic for hours.

Currently, the Iowa State Patrol is responding to a 25 car crash at the 150 mile marker along the southbound lanes of Interstate 35. Preliminary information indicates that due to near zero visibility, drivers were unable to see vehicles that had either slowed or stopped on the Interstate. A chain reaction of crashes then ensued. So far one person has died as a result of the crash. The roadway remains blocked and Troopers will work this investigation for several hours.

Additionally, the Iowa State Patrol is just now responding to a crash involving several semi-tractor trailers along I-80 by Grinnell. Eastbound lanes are completely blocked.

Visibility in northern Iowa and along many other rural roadways is near zero.

Troopers continue to respond to a 25 car crash along I-35 in northern Iowa.

Colonel David Garrison said, “It’s time to listen to warnings and get off the road. Iowa’s highways and interstates remain in poor condition for travel. Troopers will continue to assist motorists who become stranded in this dangerous weather. But your safest bet is to avoid travel altogether. If you don’t travel, you can’t become stranded.”

10 Responses to 25 Car Crash, Multiple Blocked Interchanges; Iowa State Patrol Pleads with Motorists to Stay Off the Roadways

1. a citizen Reply Report comment

December 21, 2012 at 7:33 am

Why don’t the authorities just put out a warning that travel is not advised and that troopers and road clearing vehicles will not be out to assist anyone who chooses to endanger their lives by traveling in that kind of weather? That way we are back to the old saying, “Take the chance, pay the price”. Or as anonymous stated earlier, “There is no fixing stupid”.

December 20, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Unfortunately, this highway should have been closed long before something like this happened. Troopers are up and down I-35 all the time. Why wasn’t this closed? Isn’t this why gates are installed on all of the entrance ramps?

• happyguy Reply Report comment

December 21, 2012 at 6:27 am

That was my first question too. Why wasn’t the interstate closed? It seems to always take a tragedy before action is taken. I also agree with the other posts here saying when there is a blizzard warning GET OFF THE ROAD. My job of some 30 plus years forced me to be on the roads in all kinds of terrible weather. I was always amazed at how many people were out and about when they didn’t have to.

• LVS Reply Report comment

December 21, 2012 at 8:14 am

@Happy Guy-I alsom am amazed at how people will go out in this type of situation. It is one thing if it is an emergency but another to go just because you want to. As much as I am against extra laws maybe we need one to protect people from themselves in situations like this. I guess they do not think about the emergency responders who will have to risk their lives going after them just because of their stupidity. Of course then you have the greedy businesses that require people to come to work or be disciplined just for the almighty dollar. A pet peeve of mine.

3. JBJ Reply Report comment

December 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm

so let’s make it so government can shut off all cars in bad weather. Some seem to think the government knows best when it comes to guns so why not cars?

• HUH??? Reply Report comment

December 20, 2012 at 8:13 pm

JBJ is also the first one to call 911 when he goes in the ditch, or is dying bleeding in the middle of the blizzard…travel all you want, but dont call the “government” when you need them!!!!! WOW!!!!

• LVS Reply Report comment

December 21, 2012 at 8:18 am

@HUH-you are absolutely right. I know I called my family, who live out of state and told them not to try to come here on Friday. (They were coming for Christmas) I told them to wait until at least Saturday to give them time to clear the roads. It was hard to do as I love having them here but I sure don’t want to have to go see them in a hospital.

December 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm

There is no fixing stupid!!!

5. Hi J Reply Report comment

December 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I hate people that go on the roads knowing how bad it is and troopers have to put their life on the line STAY HOME PEOPLE!!! I remember one Christmas when I couldn’t go home because the weather was to bad. It was my daughters first Christmas and I wanted her to go to Grandpa and Grandmas so bad but I wanted her be able to go to a lot more Christmas so I stayed home

• Good Question Reply Report comment

December 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

The last report was that three people have passed as a result of this accident. PLEASE people stay home, you have loved ones that want to keep you safe.