Founded in 2010

News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Police called 18 times regarding Isaiah Sweet’s behavior towards grandparents, records show

Trish Mehaffey, CR Gazette –

Police were called to the home of Richard and Janet Sweet numerous times in the last year for problems, including some violent encounters with their grandson, Isaiah Sweet, who is accused of killing them over Mother’s Day weekend, according to service call records from the Manchester Police Department.

Either Richard Sweet, 55, or his wife Janet, 62, called police for help with Isaiah Sweet 18 times from March 2011 to April 11 of this year, the records show.

Isaiah Sweet, 17, was charged last week with first-degree murder. According to a search warrant, Isaiah admitted to police that he shot his grandparents, who were his legal guardians, after contemplating hitting Richard Sweet with a baseball bat. Richard and Janet Sweet’s bodies were found by relatives lying on a living room sofa. Each had gunshot wounds to the head. Family members found the bodies in the Manchester home May 13 as they were coming over to celebrate Mother’s Day.

The service calls included Richard or Janet Sweet asking for help with their grandson because he was threatening them, kicking his grandfather, using drugs, arguing with them and not coming home at night.

The most recent call April 11, before the Sweets’ death, concerned Isaiah using a lighter and a can of aerosol to make a blow torch. Richard Sweet told a dispatcher he was a truck driver on the road, and his grandson Isaiah was home with his grandmother, attempting to start fires in their Manchester home.

According to the dispatcher, Janet Sweet didn’t want Isaiah charged; she just wanted him “back under control.” No one was hurt in the incident.

The calls seemed to escalate in 2011, going from a “little family dispute” March 28, 2011 to Isaiah Sweet kicking his grandfather in the stomach May 16, 2011. During that call, an officer stated Isaiah tried to bring his bike inside the house. Janet Sweet told Isaiah to put the bike in the garage, and he cursed her and refused to do it.

Richard Sweet overheard the conversation and also told Isaiah to put his bike in the garage, according to records. Isaiah told police his grandfather hit him in the face, and that’s why he kicked him, but Janet and Richard Sweet told the officer Richard didn’t “lay a hand on him.”

At this point, Stacy Sweet, Isaiah’s mother, arrived at the house and took Isaiah to her home for the night, according to the records. The officer stated in the report that Janet and Richard Sweet were Isaiah’s legal guardians.

Other calls for service:

June 22, 2011: Isaiah was arguing with his grandfather for most of the day, and his grandparents said Isaiah was making threats towards the family, police and the public, according to the records. Isaiah told police “it was stupid and he would not do it.” The officer noted the family was trying to get Isaiah in for an “evaluation,” but he was not cooperating. Richard and Janet Sweet wanted the officer to take Isaiah in, but the officer didn’t see “cause at the time.” The grandparents then asked about placing Isaiah in foster care, and the officer told them that wasn’t an option because his mother could take him in. They didn’t want that, records show. June 30, 2011: Isaiah was taken for mental commitment to St. Luke’s Hospital, and there was a request for police to be in the area in case assistance was needed, according to the records. No other notes on the report. Aug. 2, 2011: Janet Sweet said her grandson was being violent. He broke a phone and then left. Aug. 3, 2011: The Sweets said they didn’t know what to do with Isaiah since he had returned from his commitment. They were having problems with him and had an order for a commitment, but didn’t know if they should use it. The officer advised them to speak with their counselor or therapist. Sept. 2, 2011: Betty Adsit reported her great-grandson, Isaiah Sweet stole $100 from her purse and left school after second hour class. Sept. 8, 2011: Richard Sweet said Isaiah was threatening his sick wife and threatening to beat up and kill him and burn down their house. Isaiah didn’t respond to the officer’s commands when he arrived, and at one point, Isaiah got up from the couch and “went towards” his grandparents before police intervened. His grandparents didn’t want to pursue charges, and Isaiah was released to their custody. Officers warned Isaiah if they returned, he would be charged. Oct. 4, 2011: Janet Sweet reports more trouble with Isaiah. Oct. 5, 2011: Isaiah’s grandparents said Isaiah was calling them names and wouldn’t come home at night. Oct. 7, 2011: Richard Sweet reported a 16 1/2 year old was threatening Isaiah. Oct. 8, 2011: Janet Sweet reported a missing bottle of medication. Oct. 11, 2011: Janet Sweet said Isaiah was asking for money again, and she believed it was for drugs. Some of the report is redacted, and the next line states – “threatened to beat them up and break into the house.” An officer talked to Isaiah, who said he didn’t know what was going on. He doesn’t like being at home. Oct. 20, 2011: Janet Sweet said she found a marijuana pipe in Isaiah’s room, and he was gone. “They have not sought an order for pickup yet for his substance abuse. Richard has overheard conversation about Isaiah selling marijuana.” Oct. 26, 2011: Police conduct a consent search of Sweet’s home and find marijuana pipe.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Even more news:


Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
or go to

Copyright 2022 – Internet Marketing Pros. of Iowa, Inc.
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
%d bloggers like this: