This news story was published on April 24, 2012.

by Matt Marquardt –

MASON CITY – The new Mason City Jimmy John’s store already has a great reputation around town for an excellent sandwich.

Now completing its first full week in operation, the store is about to set a Jimmy John’s opening week record for sales.

Store owner Jason Kerr (pictured with Assistant Store Manager Mike Meyer to his left) found a moment to spare late Monday to explain about his store’s success.

“The current record for opening week sales is from a store in the New Orleans area, owned by Saints Quarterback Drew Brees.  I believe that was $52,000 roughly,” Kerr, who lives in Owatonna, MN, said.  “We are above $60,000 now and should be well past that by Wednesday” (the end of their first full week of reporting.  The store opened “soft” last Tuesday.)

Kerr and his staff have been working around the clock to keep up with demand.  He has prep workers come in to work in the wee early morning hours to start prepping and baking.

Kerr and his Assistant Manager, Mike Meyer, are both from out of town but already have taken to Mason City.

“I love it,” Meyer, from Florida, said.  “It’s awesome.  The people here are so nice.  I can’t believe it,” they both echoed.

Kerr attributes the early success of the store to an “A+ location” and plain old hard work.  Jimmy John’s corporate helped him select the location at 1907 4th Street SW.  He said they promised it would be a great spot and it hasn’t disappointed.  “Jimmy John’s is a strong brand in the midwest,” Kerr said.  “We are bringing something from the bigger cities to a smaller city, and I think people appreciate that.”

“I knew it would be big,” Kerr said of his expectations for his store.  “We are seeing a lot of repeat customers.”

The Mason City location is Kerr’s third store, joining a store in Owatonna, MN and a store in Faribault, MN.  He is working on a possible store in Mankato, MN next.

Watch video:

12 Responses to “A+ location,” hard work pay off to help Jimmy John’s to record store opening week

1. Trenton Reply Report comment

April 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

Great food! Well worth the price. Yes store is busy but they move you through quick. They deliver, they cater. Parking lot isn’t bad. I am glad they came to town. 5 stars from me.

2. Marie Reply Report comment

April 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

Food is great! I love number 9, 12 and 14! I didn’t feel the parking was a problem.
    I do love that they will deliver 1 sandwich to me at work. Love the pickles. Price is real good. Slims $3.50, Subs $4.50 and Clubs $5.50. Its all fresh cut and sliced not prepackaged like others. Bread is under 4 hours old. Can’t beat the freshness. They don’t hide the taste of old food by heating it up. This is my favorte!

3. Marie Reply Report comment

April 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

Food was great! Love number 12, 9 and 14! I didn’t think parking was bad at all. I also love that they will deliver a sandwich to me at lunch at work. I don’t have to leave the building. Great pickles!!!

4. c Reply Report comment

April 25, 2012 at 10:33 am

It would be nice for them to deliver everywhere in Mason City. They dont’ deliver South of Federal or around the Harding School area. Its a shame, they may have made MORE money. I hope this is just temporary.

5. Joe Reply Report comment

April 25, 2012 at 9:34 am

$7 minimum for a combo and sandwich was small. Parking is difficult but should improve.

April 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm

You might want to correct the address in the story. Its not 907 4th
    SW

7. WD-80 Reply Report comment

April 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I have to agree with Anonymous, although the chips and soda were fine.

April 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Parking is fine. Just drive around the store and park on the east side by TSC.

9. Sandy Reply Report comment

April 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Kinda a feel the same way about parking. It can be a nightmare. The food is good and the price is good. Close to home for me 🙂

10. Guest Reply Report comment

April 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm

The food was fine for me… Parking is indeed a challenge – but should improve once the novelty wears off and they get to what’s going to be “normal” traffic level in & out of the place. Better to go now at ‘off-peak’ times – like not right an noon…

April 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

The parking lot is a nightmare, the food is not worth the money.

• Publius Reply Report comment

April 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Jeesh, Negative Nancy. The bad parking and bad food must be the cause of them breaking record sales. The subs are like $4…how can they not be worth the money? Clearly you work for Subway or you’re still mad about Quiznos.