Breakthrough Web Design - 641-201-1459 - Build Your Online Presence
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
• Founded 2010

UPDATE: Mason City teen reported missing is found

This news story was published on January 21, 2013.

MASON CITY – A Mason City teen that was reported missing since Sunday was located Monday morning.

Courtney L Vikturek, age 17, was reported missing to the Mason City Police Department on Sunday, January 20th, 2012.

According to Mason City police, the missing teen was located Monday.

“Courtney and another female ran from Francis Lauer Youth Services (FLYS) last night around 8 pm,” police said. “They were located by police at a residence in Gracious Estates this morning at 8:39 am and returned to FLYS.”

10 Responses to UPDATE: Mason City teen reported missing is found

momof3 Reply Report comment

March 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Criminal in training??? Are you serious??? I can speak from experience that not all the kids that go to places like that are bad. Sometimes kids are put into places like that for safety reasons or even for a brief period to let cooler heads prevail after a heated arguments sometimes. I have been to that facility in my teen years and I can tell you it wasn’t because I was a criminal in training . I actually owe that place a huge thank you for helping me understand things that I went through as a teen and it helped mold me into the person I am today which is a hard working mother of three wonderful kids (two of which are graduating from college). So unless your living in these children’s shoes dont judge them as criminals in training until you know their complete story. I’m not claiming innocence or perfection, god knows that’s not the case but I just don’t think people should be labeled because they are young and maybe didn’t make the best choice in their situation.. (whatever their situation may be at that moment and time ). I’m sure since you have made a poor descion once or twice in your life and if not then congrats to you on being the only perfect individual I have ever come across in this journey we all call life , I look forward to learning the ways you were able to accomplish such great achievements,maybe you could talk to all these criminals in training and make the world a better place for everyone…

Katie Reply Report comment

March 11, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I’m glad to hear that FLYS was a positive experience for you.

Joe Reply Report comment

January 22, 2013 at 8:33 am

I don’t know her deal… BUT glad she is ok.

anonymous Reply Report comment

January 21, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Francis Lauer is not a facility for criminals. And yes, there are many people in this world that are bad parents. Too many kids are born into a crappy homelife and it’s not always their fault. I know of a mother that sent her daughter to FLYS simply because she doesn’t want her around. So, not always the kids fault.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm

@anonymous-B.S. who do you think you are kidding. Do you think they send kids there because they were good. I have had several kids I know end up there and it was never because they were good. Maybe caught stealing but never good.

barney google Reply Report comment

January 21, 2013 at 4:40 pm

@LVS,maybe she had lousy parents. Some troubled kids are created by bad parenting. Or she’s bi-polar. She’s only 17. There’s still hope. How is she going to have faith in herself if adults give up on her.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm

@barney-based on history and experience they only send troubled kids to FLYS when they can’t get along in society. I know many kids who went there and mostly they come out worse than when they went in. Hence the training comment. They get with kids that are worse than they are and learn from them. Just like sending kids to what we used to call reform school. They come out worse. If she had faith in herself she wouldn’t be in there. Now the lousy parents I could maybe see, there is a lot of that around.

Da Man Reply Report comment

January 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Lvs u r a complete moron! Children dont have the choice how they r raised. U kids r probably social outcasts or just a 60 + yr old loser that cant get a girl. Ive been reading ur ignorant comments for awhile. Enough already.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 22, 2013 at 8:22 am

@Da Man-or what pretends to be a man.Who the Hell do you think you are idiot. You can’t spell and you can’t read. My children are all well adjusted grown ups with good jobs that pay their own way and their taxes. They are not on welfare like you. I have been married for over 50 years so I have no need of a girl friend. You are so stupid you don’t know that a 17 year old is responsible for herself. She is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong. It is people like you that are what is wrong with this world. Always making a excuse for something instead of taking responsibility for your actions. I don’t care if her parents are druggers or drunks. All you would do is put her on antidepressants and then when she falls off her meds and kills someone you will blame the gun. Now go away boy and play with someone you can deal with.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 21, 2013 at 3:42 pm

OK-so she wasn’t missing. She just escaped. Another criminal in training.