Editorial: Watching the watchers

This news story was published on March 30, 2012.

Editorial by Matt Marquardt –

Today your local media sunk to the lowest depths I have ever witnessed.

KIMT, The Globe Gazette and other regional news outlets camped outside Gretchen Crooks’ funeral this afternoon.  They pitched a tent right off of Delaware Avenue across from First Congregational United Church of Christ, hooked up audio feeds and pointed cameras and interviewed mourners.  They went inside the church to get a close-up view of their story and write about the horror and sadness of family and friends of Gretchen.

These news outlets have taken a terrible tragedy and sensationalized it.  They have taken a 13-year-old boy’s name and picture and plastered it all over their news stories.  They have written about and elaborated on charges brought against this child.  He has had zero chance to defend himself.  Forget about juvenile charges, the media has made sure everyone knows it was him.

I do not often get personal here on NIT.  But today I will.  I am disgusted by these people.  I am disgusted by the media trying this boy before he is even given a chance to defend himself.  I am disgusted by the media showing up at this funeral, a funeral for a person that has suffered the worst end imaginable.    The media fed on this funeral today like vultures, to sensationalize this tragedy and score viewers and readers.

Gretchen was not a fallen war hero nor an assassinated President; she was simply a decent person who met a terrible death.  The news media did not need to be here today.  As one man who walked by so eloquently said: this is “dirty laundry.”

I was so disgusted after KIMT invited NIT to participate, that I decided to go and do a story on the media itself.  I watched the watchers.

I pointed my camera at THEM and I fired some tough questions.  I wasn’t nice about it.  They called the police on me.  I didn’t leave.

Please watch the video below and let me warn you, it isn’t pretty.

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
515-897-1144
or go to
BreakthoughWebDesign.com

235 Responses to Editorial: Watching the watchers

1. Steve Shurtz Reply Report comment

April 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

and then sent my email that I wrote regarding that point to Mr. Skarlis?

April 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Steve Shurtz: Do not equate the smearing of children with grown men accused and arrested of serious crimes. It won’t fly here.

2. Steve Shurtz Reply Report comment

April 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Mr. Marquardt:

You stated, “I am disgusted by the media trying this boy before he is even given a chance to defend himself.” ~ Is that not what you did to the Behms?

3. Tom N Reply Report comment

April 10, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I have known Matt and his family for half my life. He is a good person doing a great job for the community that he grew up in. He went to school with Gretchen. Mabey he was pissed about the way the media was dealing with the whole tragic incident. If she was my sister or close friend, I would punch them.

4. airplane games Reply Report comment

April 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

It’s the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it is time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I may I wish to suggest you few interesting issues or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles regarding this article. I want to read even more things approximately it!

5. free episode Reply Report comment

April 7, 2012 at 5:53 am

I beloved as much as you’ll obtain carried out right here. The comic strip is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you want be turning in the following. in poor health undoubtedly come further in the past again since exactly the similar nearly very regularly inside case you defend this hike.

6. free episodes Reply Report comment

April 7, 2012 at 1:30 am

Hello there, I found your web site by means of Google at the same time as looking for a comparable topic, your web site came up, it appears to be like great. I’ve added to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

7. SadforNorthIowaToday Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Matt,
    While I agree with you regarding the inappropriateness of KIMT filming the funeral, I think you handled this in a very unprofessional manner which may initially get you hits to your website through sensationalism, but will eventually cause you to lose viewers. My competition also conducts business in a poor manner every day. This causes me to want to rise above their performance, perform better, service my customers in a better manner, and be more professional. No matter how poor of a decision they made, I would never go to such lengths as you did. I visit North Iowa Today, every day because it brings the true uncensored story to the public. This time, I think you should have censored yourself as I feel I am taking more care writing my response than you did in your video. The owner of North Iowa today, bashing and antagonizing his competition using words like freaking, sad ass, comparing garbage cans to their work on a 15 minute posted video, really? Honestly, I think you’ve hit a low point and an apology for your actions to your readers are needed. I’d really expect more from a 38 year old man who was really starting to bring down the other media by just doing what he does well, while they continue to fail. I would be disappointed in my teenager for conducting himself in such a manner regardless of the situation. I’m not saying what KIMT did was right, but you weren’t exactly right either. I would rather see you rise above and report about it, but not become part of the circus. Best of luck to ya cause you just lost my views, page counts, click-throughs, and support.

8. JWF Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 11:51 pm

you have NO IDEA my deepest sympathy for your loss. Very well said, what if the story was about their family member? Oh thats off limits. The globe and kmit do not care if they tell the truth they just want the story and if the story isn’t juicy enough they have to add to it. It doesn’t matter if its the truth. Shame on them for destroying lives.

9. you have NO IDEA Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm

First off this is to Kay~

There at the request of the family, I call BULLSHIT! When you are grieving a loved one family DO NOT want it plastered all over the media! THIS INCLUDES SOLDIERS!!! My brother died a horrible death at a young age and KIMT was all over it within hours, you wanna know how I found out about his death? 8hrs after it happened. EVERYONE else knew it before I was officially told. As soon as my mom told the sheriff that everyone was FINALLY told, within MINUTES KIMT had his name PLASTERED all of over that channel. Not only was it plastered interviews with people who had supposedly KNOWN my brother were broadcasted at the 5pm broadcast, know what time those interviews were conducted? at 2pm, hour and half BEFORE I found out. why did it take so long for me to be told? THAT is even a longer story. YOUR media was all over this town until his funeral and had the balls and gull to ask if it was OK to interview people who attended he funeral. Reported got an earful from me and they quietly packed their crap and left. WE do NOT want you at our family mournings. YES it was a tragic thing that has had happened, just like EVERY news outlet said, name of suspect in custody is kept under wraps due to him being a minor and in the next paragraph “IT was reported it was her 13yr old son (insert name here)”. DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERY single one of you in the media should be slapped upside the damn head for your misinterpretation of that email. ANYONE can see and read between the lines of “WE dont want you there but we cant stop you from being there SINCE it is public place but IF you HAVE to be there to get your lame ass story of people crying over our family, go across the street and stay quiet”. Worst than the Westboro baptist. Now onto a soldiers funeral, YES they died in combat, YES he is a hero, but guess what? THAT hero that you have plastered all over the place also wants to be LEFT IN PEACE along with their family. SO bugger off and let us mourn. Go do a story about relay for life, or Organ donaation or do a story about a graduate who made it against all the odds to get their diploma. Better yet, follow up on your stories “your putting together and your comment maybe used later in a broadcast” that is posted on all the mediafacebook, twitter, pages…OR here is a new one, follow up on the dr who was hired by mercy that got busted for not registering as a baby raper and where he is TRYING to get a job here in iowa in the Ankeney/Des Moines area. Now THAT is newsworthy. Not how people feel after a funeral. Anymore KIMT has gone to crap for stories and are grasping at straws.

• Watcher Reply Report comment

April 6, 2012 at 8:28 am

“Go do a story about relay for life, or Organ donaation or do a story about a graduate who made it against all the odds to get their diploma. Better yet, follow up on your stories”

You won’t find much of that on this site either, expecially the latter. Not that we havent been asking for it.

• Kay Reply Report comment

April 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I’m sorry for your loss, you have NO IDEA. I’m sorry you had to hear about it long after it happened, and I understand your pain. That being said, you do admit that the reporter packed up and left after you told them you most certainly did NOT want them there. I totally understand why, and am grateful that they respected your wishes.

Before anyone jumps on me, I speak from experience. Two of my family members were murdered in a convenience store several years ago. It was a tragedy like none other. I have lived this life.

I still believe it is the public’s right to know, whether it’s about safety, compassion, assistance in solving the crime… Whatever the reason, people feel moved by these stories, and they absolutely can be life-changers.

So, JWF, my family was NOT off-limits during this dark, dark time in our lives. We took the HUNDREDSof news stories for what they were: Morbid curiosity, a wish to provide comfort to a stranger through cards and letters, or just another reason to appreciate the relatively peaceful life you’re blessed to have.

I’ve shared my views. I’m done.

Until you know the facts, it’s best to keep your emotions — and accusations — in check.

• carolyn Reply Report comment

April 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm

yes kay, we should all be forced to chase away arrogant annoying reporters like you. sounds like you have experience in being chased away. hopefully you werent lying when you said you are relly going away this time.

• 50 miles south Reply Report comment

April 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Kay: you should not assume that all news media will be as nice and kind as you try to imply. like JWF stated “they just want the story and if the story isn’t juicy enough they have to add to it. It doesn’t matter if its the truth”. yes he/she was talking about the globe or KIMT. but the statement holds true for many other companies. some people even say that about NIT. I am familiar with what happened to a friend of mine that was murdered in waterloo. he moonlighted at an adult bookstore to make extra money. the news media asked people/his friends about his life. they wouldnt listen to or report on what they wanted to tell the news companies. they kept wanting to hear more about working at the adult bookstore. they never reported that he was a machinist by trade, and was only moonlighting that night for extra money. He was working to keep himself off government aid. and what does the news media do smear his name. this is just one incident of what i assume to be many. and YES we should comment on what we know to be true.

• you have NO IDEA Reply Report comment

April 7, 2012 at 9:37 am

Fact is, Media was where they werent welcomed.
        Fact is, YOU are trying to defend your actions and others by back peddaling (sp?),
        Fact is, YOU and everyone else knew EXACTLY what that email said. now your TRYING to cover your arse by blaming others about actions that YOU yourself did.
        Fact is, We are a “small state” that if you know one person you know EVERYONE and their business. THIS includes murders, trials and everything good too.
        I could think of better things to do rather sit and harass, yes i said it, HARASS huring people over a tragic loss. Now, I want news media to cover EVERY single funeral and ask EVERY single griever to do an interview just to make it fair to others.
        Oh, and another thing? WE do not like to be talked down upon, we are Iowans and are full aware and can read into the bullshit replies and actual meanings in your actions.
        YOU WERE NOT INVITED!!! compare you to the westboro baptist, your not welcome and your lucky you have the to law do what you did and you can use that excuse for everything. YOU and other medias shouldve known better out of the respect for the families YOU were morally wrong and you know damn well im right. what happened to morals and standards? not greed

• Tammy Grohn Reply Report comment

April 7, 2012 at 11:56 am

Amen. This woman is completely insensitive to your loss and the loss of the families.

10. Kay Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 11:43 am

“Kay is a liar and probably works at KIMT. I never said any such thing (KIMT invited me, I have the email to prove it). Most of the detractors on here are liars, and they typically hurl insults before making any real points. I do appreciate the dozens of real supporters who have contacted me, they out number impostors like Kay 4 to 1.”

I stand corrected about who invited you. The (real?) media, however, WAS invited. I’ve seen the emails. Maybe this is all because you’re angry that you weren’t invited originally?

Calling me a liar? That’s a little harsh and defensive, don’t you think? An impostor? How am I being an impostor? I’m using my real name and being respectful about stating my opinion ~ not lashing out at people who disagree with me.

I don’t work at KIMT ~ or any other TV station. Never have, never will. I just know nonsense when I see, read and hear it.

The only point you chose to rebut was my (admitted) mistake about who invited you. I guess you can’t defend the indefensible, can you?

April 5, 2012 at 11:58 am

You should stand corrected on a lot of things. I did receive the email from the funeral director, which plainly states the media must set up across the street. That’s not an invitation, that is an UNvitation. It also says “No interviews with the family will be allowed.” Yet KAAL clearly interviewed people outside the church.
      Secondly, you are not being respectful in stating your opinion. You admit you were not there, you don’t work for the media, but you claim to see private emails only the media received. You are shaky at best, and possibly angry because you perhaps WERE there that day and I called you out. I really feel sorry for you, coming to NIT every day to debate me and then getting picked apart.
      Defend this, Kay: High Definition cameras outside a church to zoom in on people crying. Very sad to see you condone this behavior.

• Kay Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’m not angry, just puzzled by your continued insults in order to mask your own behavior.

“…the media must set up across the street.” While not an “invitation” in the truest sense, it’s hardly a preventive measure: Actually TELLING them where to set up implies consent, as opposed to requesting that they stay away.

The fact that you don’t agree with my opinion hardly makes me disrespectful. “Private emails only the media received”? “Private” and “emails” are practically an oxymoron. Don’t tell me you’ve never shared an email with someone; people forward things all day long.

Though the funeral director requested they do no interviews with the family, you don’t actually know how that interview was set up, do you? If a family member chooses to speak to the media, that’s his or her choice. The funeral director tells the media what to do; they don’t direct the family members.

High-definition cameras? That’s what they’re for: To tell the story without sticking a camera or microphone in someone’s face. Did the funeral director order no cameras, too?

I said I didn’t work for KIMT or any other TV stations; I didn’t say “media.” You’re not calling anyone out; you’ve hardly “picked me apart.”

Name-calling and bullying STILL don’t work.

April 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Well Kay you are here on NIT all day long seems like. Does your “media” bosses know you spend so much time here? I am flattered.
          So now you say the media must be PREVENTED from showing up. I think you will frighten people with that admission.
          You now also admit that your media shares their emails with anyone they choose. No privacy at your place of business, Kay? What media do you work for, so we know not to communicate with it?
          I saw KAAL approach people on the sidewalk. They are from out of town. How would they know who is family and who is not. You make no sense.
          Again you defend the cams zooming in on people’s grief. Kay you are making this too easy.

• Kay Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Yes, Matt, that’s exactly what I’m saying. If you don’t want the media there ~ and it’s not public property, you must tell them that.

Surely, being in the “news” business yourself, you can understand that. You were there, too, remember?

Not quite sure where I said my media shares emails. Could you point that out?

Once again, actual media members ~ even those from “out of town,” do some homework, learn who people are, and speak with them. Did you also see the KAAL people holding guns or knives, to force those people to speak to them? Your disgust is misdirected, I think.

Don’t flatter yourself, Matt. This is the second day I’ve been to your site, and it’s my lunch hour. Somebody has to point out your double-standards, whether you like it or not.

• Lisa Riley Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Matt, this proves the other so-called media in this town are on NIT all the time, they can’t get enough. You are doing a hell of a job, you have a dedicated reader here.

April 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

is this the weather girl, for kimt?

• 50 miles south Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm

she said that she didnt work for a tv station but obviously another media. And boy am I glad im not married to Kay. I get bitched at enough being single.

April 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Matt, I understand that by covering the media you are trying to make a point that they are in the wrong, but most of these people are just there doing their jobs. Are they not given assignments to follow for the most part? The cameraman from Rochester certainly did not choose to drive to Mason City to cover a funeral? I think your emotions were aimed at the wrong people. You should be asking to interview the person/people who sent that cameraman to Mason City. (I know the globe and KIMT will not answer your requests)

You did not accomplish anything by being there. If anything, you made it more of a spectacle than it was. The media is not going to change their approach because you stood on the sidewalk and questioned their morals. You may have generated some hits for you site, but this in no way is a game changer. Keep the good fight going though.

April 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Appreciate the point you are making. Have a great day and thanks for visiting NIT.

April 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Just for the record, here are the latest Iowa broadcaster job openings.
      (Source: http://www.iowabroadcasters.com/index.php?q=node/36)

TV Achor/Producer – KIMT-TV (CBS) is seeking an anchor/producer for our two-hour DayBreak newscast. This position is responsible for working overnight to write, produce and edit the DayBreak newscast. This includes, but is not limited to, stacking rundowns, monitoring police scanners, making beat calls, posting to the web/social media, shooting breaking news and some reporting duties during sweeps. We’re looking for an energetic, organized, self-motivated and detail-oriented journalist that possesses strong leadership skills. An ability to work independently, as well as on a team, is a must. The ideal candidate will thrive under pressure and, with others, will develop and execute compelling and informative newscasts. Applicants must have either a four-year degree in Broadcast Journalism or Broadcast Communications and must have good on-air performance, communication skills and excellent news judgment and writing skills. One to two years of previous producing, reporting or anchoring experience is preferred. Please send DVD with cover letter and resume to: KIMT-TV (CBS), Attn: Business Office Coodinator, PO Box 620, Mason City, IA 50402 or by emal to: hr@kimt.com Any offer of employment is contingent upon successfully passing a substance abuse test and a background screening. Successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record. KIMT-TV is an EOE M/F D/V.

• Former KIMT'er Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

That position is opening up because Jenna Lee is leaving after her contract is up in…. June? I think? As for the rest of it, yeah, common stuff to be posted about what they are looking for.

• bystander Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm

She must be the one I overheard at a local bar recently that said “I am outta this shitty town, I can’t wait till my last day” which others there have been overheard to say many times

• TheRealFred Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Jenna Lee leaving? That figures. Only anchor-babe at KIMT I can stand to look at. She’s delicious.

12. Kay Reply Report comment

April 4, 2012 at 11:16 am

While I am often the first to criticize how the media reacts to things, I find YOUR video appalling.

Primarily, you’re a bully. You weren’t there to portray an unfair scene, you were there to bully and harass people doing their jobs.

You’re also woefully unprofessional. “Man,” “freaking,” “dude;” do you actually think anybody takes you seriously? If so, they’re as immature as you appear to be.

You fall all over the passerby who admittedly was only going to the funeral “because my pastor is speaking.” Where was your attack on him? That was obviously simply morbid curiosity on his part — why didn’t you call him out on it? Because it didn’t fit your agenda?

Your rant appears far more disruptive to the surroundings that any of the media who kept a respectful distance and didn’t appear to be intruding on the event.

You, however, were yelling and carrying on as mourners — right out of the funeral — walked past! What do you think they’ll remember from that? The quiet reporters and cameramen, or the guy yelling at them like a grade-school bully?

And whether you like it or not, your presence was also capitalizing on the event. If the whole situation wasn’t news, why were you even there? Take a look at some of the numbers of readers and viewers, and you’ll see it WAS something people were interested in.

If you think you’re rising above it all, feel free to stop publishing anything negative — including car crashes, robberies, fires, etc. When you’re all about only the “good” news, THEN you can complain.

Otherwise, you’re no better than the people you tried to humiliate.

April 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Appreciate the insults… wow you won the debate now. I see you have stooped to picking on the old man who outed you on your DIRTY LAUNDRY story. Where was a passerby to support you that day? There wasn’t one.

• Kay Reply Report comment

April 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

First, I wasn’t there, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Second, that man wasn’t supporting you. He certainly didn’t applaud what you were doing, nor did he thank you for it. I’m not stooping to anything: I’m repeating what he said to you. And outing anyone? I didn’t actually see anyone hiding that day in your video or on the TV coverage ~ except you, behind your video camera and bullying ways, apparently designed to mask the fact that you were doing the same thing: Covering a funeral. How many times did YOU mention the 13-year-old? Twenty?

No debate here. Answer the questions honestly, and you’ll see there’s no arguing with those facts.

April 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

The man shook my hand twice. He said DIRTY LAUNDRY and motioned to the TV and newspaper crews. What more do you want Kay? Why are you so angry? It’s a beautiful day. Please take your med’s and relax.

13. wow Reply Report comment

April 4, 2012 at 7:40 am

Congrats Matt, 200 comments on a story you thought it was distasteful to cover. Stay classy.

14. fyi Reply Report comment

April 4, 2012 at 7:36 am

Lol life not lifesaver

15. fyi Reply Report comment

April 4, 2012 at 7:28 am

For everyones F.Y.I. the family did not invite the media to the funeral. If that was the case they would have been inside the funeral home. Shame on the the globe and other media for being there.! Matt was showing what low lifesaver will do to get a story.

• Kay Reply Report comment

April 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Really, fyi?

The media actually WAS invited to be there. Are you simply basing your comment on the fact that they weren’t inside during the funeral? Bad idea.

In fact, Matt freely admits the funeral director — through the family — also invited HIM to be there.

Please check your facts.

April 4, 2012 at 2:21 pm

16. JWF Reply Report comment

April 3, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Nicole C I agree with you, Matt does rock. Matt tells the truth. KIMT and the Globe changes the words around to make the story better, juicier, more exciting. KIMT and the Globe destroy people with their stories and they do not care. I know there is always a story but maybe the reporters should think first, “If this was my child, husband, wife, parents or myself, would you want the media to tear them apart?” Sometimes I don’t think they have a any common sense at all. This was a minor, 13 years old. Shame on KIMT, the Globe Gazette and KTTC for not having any common sense in this story. Remember “do unto someone that you want done to you” FAIR PLAY. KARMA CAN BITE BACK.

17. nicole c Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Matt You rock!!! Your footage on the media’s exploitation and total disrespect of those people and the extremely gut wrenching pain and confusion that they are going thru right now….just to get a story was awesome!!! they dont need anymore crap to deal with right now…and I’m glad we got someone like you around to stand up for people’s right’s and well being!!! Hats off to you Matt you kick ass!!

18. Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Watcher and 50 miles, I do not find your advice useful whatsoever. NIT has plenty of respect and I am proud of it. To me, you are two more nameless rabble attacking me and NIT. I would do this story again tomorrow in a heartbeat. KIMT and the Globe have websites, be my guest to head that way.

• Cassandra Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Matt, my friends and I watchd the video and we all agreed it was the best thing we have seen in such a long time. Keep up the work, people are watching and reading, I know this is first and last place I go everyday to see the news.

• 50 miles south Reply Report comment

April 3, 2012 at 12:00 am

Matt: because of being off topic, i will move my comments to rants and raves

19. Watcher Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Matt, Your focus and attitude on this site has greatly changed. You edit when you should just follow up, you stoop to personal attacks when you should just state facts and let it roll off your back, and the site has become very one sided when it used to be unbiased. I think this is the first time I have commented in over a week, the stories and editing of comments are beginning to make me lose interest. Yes someone will replace me as a reader, but I have felt my comments and thoughts have been fairly informative and constructive. lately the comments have become overwhelmingly hostile and off color.

• 50 miles south Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I agree with watcher. however it isnt too late to correct the problem. and yes there is a problem. this site can still gain back respect if you only stay with the facts, without the slanderous comments. this is why I asked the question “should Mr Childrens op-ed rants be under watercooler or rants and raves”. getting an interview with someone would change too in time. do you really want to known as a loudmouth like Rush Limbaugh?

• Penny Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

So Matt shoudl allow anonymous people to attack him and lie on his own website and do nothing. Read the comments he has answered his critics straightup and taken the abuse and when he answers then he’s a bully. Thanks for clearing that up for him. It is my opinion he was right to call BS on the media, no ones invites media to a funeral. Like the old man said, Dirty laundry.

• Watcher Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Penny, when you (NIT or any others for that fact) put yourself in the spotlight you better be ready to be the center of it. I do believe that Matt should refrain from stooping to the level of his attackers and be the better person and better news site. My comments are to encourage him to have a bit more backbone, and put the bite in the columns, editing and follow up. There has been a lot of censorship lately in areas where no clarification has been given, except “someone asked him to take the comments off”. A follow up on these stories instead of leaving them out to the rumor vultures is what people truthfully want. We want facts, follow-up and closure in the most non biased way that can be done. Let the commenter’s be biased (it may open doors to unseen facts or leads), but let the story direct US to get vocal, informed, or involved.

20. Marlene Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 9:44 am

Matt you make me sick!!! All you did was uncalled for, your remarks and video completely disgust me and I am DONE looking at North Iowa Today because of you. I belive KIMT was invited and you werent. Go find a good story to do and leave others alone. You are no better then the ones covering the story.

• selena Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 9:49 am

Good riddance salena, I mean “Marlene”. You were never wanted here to begin with, go rub some more GG backs!

• Marlene Reply Report comment

April 3, 2012 at 7:59 am

Selena, wanted here or not I can voice my opinion just like you, pretty sad the media has to bash each other so at a later date the family has to see it, dont think that was the idea when the media was invited. So on that note go rub a GG yourself!!

• Baby Rubs Back Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 10:03 am

Marlene’ do you need a napkin for that slobber? For your info, Matt was invited, he just has more class than the “Others” !

• Marlene Reply Report comment

April 3, 2012 at 7:56 am

No slobber thank you, Matt could have had a little more class then to bash others, no need to go on and on like he did, and yes there are other funerals but media not invited. Let the family mourn as needed without having to see this at a later date. Just sad society has to come to this.

April 2, 2012 at 10:06 am

“Marlene” – I was invited by KIMT. I have the email to prove it. I also have the email from the funeral director that clearly states the media will be ALLOWED across the street. Doesn’t seem like an “invitation” at all. Furthermore. I see there are several funerals scheduled here in Mason City this week. Tell me, will the Globe, KIMT, KTTC, KAAL be covering those? Will the blue tent be there? The high def cameras, to zoom in on the mourners, to catch every tear?

• Marlene Reply Report comment

April 3, 2012 at 8:03 am

I understand where you are coming from I just dont understand why you had to bad mouth others there, it will be a sad day when the family sees this report. Other funerals yes but am sure the media wont be invited. Just a sad day for the family and then have to listen to the media slam each other. I just pray the family doesnt see this.

21. wrong Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 9:39 am

Matt was ‘invited’ but he declined and that was the right thing to do. It amazes me how some of you people spew your dribble and yet you dont have a clue. Its ABNORMAL to invite the media to a funeral plain and simple. Like someone else said, the family probably only invited the media for one reason only, to have the trial moved out of Cerro Gordo!

22. Regarding free back rubs Reply Report comment

April 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Are you kidding Matt. I worked at the globe longer than you and never saw or heard about your so called back rubs by management. I did hear how you started your website business w ith the globes customers while you were still employed there.. My morals say you were stealing from your employer. But I’m sure you have a different twist to that or this post will come down fast.

April 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Shut up Are you kidding me!!!!! What’s all this complaining gonna doooo NOTHING look at every other news channel CNN CBS HUH what do you see every day death death and more death people killing each other this won’t stop whether it’s a child killing or adults killing it happens everyday and what about when we hear about there familiies and see there funerals on tv you don’t complain then do. This just happened in our own community and now you don’t like the media this is everyday life man!!!!!

April 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

whoops I’m not gonna hide my name it’s amanda

24. Jose Blow Reply Report comment

April 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm

You don’t have Freedom Of Speech on someone else’s blog – DUH. Start your own.

April 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

DUH?

I do have First Amendment rights when a media organization solicits comments from the public — as long as I uphold the same standards of decorum as the rest of the community. (Anyone with any knowledge of recent FCC decisions and Supreme Court rulings in this area would have known that you can’t censor posters you dislike once you open that floodgate of commenting.)

Unlike Matt, I’m not the one hurling insults and threatening to get me in trouble with my boss. All I’m doing is commenting that Matt conducted himself very poorly outside a funeral. He should have avoided making a scene. He owes Gretchen’s family and friends an apology. If he can’t stand the heat, get out of running this type of website or grow a pair.

DUH!

25. omg Reply Report comment

April 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I don’t get why the family would want a funeral for the public to see. Isn’t that something that is for family and close friends? Not for every tom,Dick, and harry to see. If mercy people can’t attend oh well. If they wanted them to see it maybe they should have recorded it themselvesand then give directly to mercy to view. It will bite the family in the ass for getting the media involved. As far as being so concerned for whether the globe or kimt showed up…why does it matter since the family asked for them to be there? I do agree they should have kept their nose out of it.

April 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I agree with omg. Matt (as part of the media) should have kept his nose out of it.

26. Jose Blow Reply Report comment

April 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I think a daily list of funerals need to be posted on the Globe’s, KIMT’s, and KTTC’s websites so they know what funerals to cover for the week. I too thought that coverage of this funeral (while she was a VERY nice and caring person) was silly. The family is hurting, friends are hurting — what type of closure will the media give to this family? While Matt’s motives may appear abrasive sometimes, he makes a good point — “Was her funeral news?” The next time some newsworthy event happens in Osage, will they cover that too? Will the globe have funeral photos on their front page like Whitney Houston’s was on the front of the National Enquirer? What’s next? Broadcasting local weddings like Prince William & Kate Middleton?

Just stick to the news.

AND, if you don’t like what Matt writes or covers, just move along.

April 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm

You aren’t telling me anything until you use your real name. Do you have the guts to do that? What City Hall Department do you work in?

April 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Once again, Matt, you are trying to intimidate others. I’m not going to use my real name (no matter how many times or how nice you ask). All you need to know is that I work in Mason City.

Try (as hard as it may be for you) to focus on the real issue here: that you could have and should have handled yourself with more decorum outside a funeral. You owe Gretchen’s family and friends at least an apology for your juvenile behavior. It did not reflect well on you or NIT. Man up and admit you were wrong.

April 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I see you have subtly changed your tune. Now you only “work in Mason City.” Before it was “I work at City Hall.” Nice try. I owe no one an apology, so get a grip on reality, you will need when I bring this forward to your boss.

April 1, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Matt, go for it. Keep the insults flying. I’m a big boy. The fact is you can’t stand that someone can stand up to you and call you out for being wrong.

You should have conducted yourself differently. You are no better than the media you pretend to “expose”.

Bring all the cameras you want down to city hall. The fact remains that you created a scene outside a funeral that was inappropriate. You are alone supporting your conduct on Friday, my friend.

While you’re at it trying to tattle on me like a 2nd grader, bring a copy of the First Amendment. I can show you where it gives not just you (the media) the right to speak out. But it also protects my rights to do the same on my own time.

See you on Monday. I’ll be the one laughing at you.

April 1, 2012 at 5:25 pm

So… now you are big boy. You are not standing up to me at all, you are an anonymous coward. Period. Since you know me, and I don’t know you, feel free to approach me at anytime to discuss.

April 1, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Matt, I don’t understand why you feel the need to attack me and other readers of your website. I actually agreed that it is unseemly to have the media staking out a funeral. However, you have failed to learn an important point that even my 6 year old daughter knows: that two wrongs don’t make a right. You shouldn’t have escalated the media circus by going out to the church with your camera and yelling at the reporters. You should have handled the situation better. Just admit that you were wrong and move on already. Geesh.

April 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I did not yell until they fired back at me. Then they brought their cameras out against me. One woman from KIMT said the whole thing was FUNNY! I was appalled! They LAUGHED about the situation, watch the video! Who’s the ASS now?

28. Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

April 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Thank Peter. Arian left right after that exchange and never came back. I guess he was ashamed for being a part of a newspaper that is trashing a child. Dennis will be in the news later this week, stay tuned.

April 1, 2012 at 11:56 am

I wonder how Matt would react to the Globe doing an editorial on NIT’s practices? Based off his responses below, I’m thinking it would involve Matt doing a lot of name calling and blaming others.

April 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm

They would never interview me. To date, they have never admitted the existence of NIT. I pray they interview me, I have many, many questions to ask them. We could start with the free back rubs Globe management provides the employees.

• Tuneman Reply Report comment

April 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Why are you so interested in who gets a back rub at the Globe Gazette? What in the hell does that have to do with journalism? So what if they give their employees free back rubs? Big deal! I swear, just when I think NIT is acting like a responsible journalistic entity, you go and pull this kind of crap. You guys at NIT have such an inferiority complex with the Globe, KIMT and local radio it is absolutely laughable. This sight is quickly becoming a joke!

April 1, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’m not sure why this conversation has denegrated into name calling. (If you dislike the approach Matt took in attacking the other media outlets who were invited and doing their jobs, you shouldn’t stoop to his level and engage in the name calling.) However, Matt easily could have written his editorial without causing a scene outside a funeral. His point would have had more credibility without the ranting and raving. In the end, Matt just made himself and his publication look silly.

31. Ron Germundson Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Matt, I support you. You were harsh but it needed to be done. These jackals feed of people’s misery. They can’t handle because you are different and bold. Keep up the good work, sir.

April 1, 2012 at 10:07 am

How does stalking other people outside a funeral equate Matt to being different or bold? It seems opportunitic on his part. He was looking to start a fight…

32. Sandy Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm

It seems to me by the writing demeanor of a few of these recent comments that they are threatening Matt/NIT. Katie, Troubled, Concerned, etc is this true? it sure seems like it to me/ and that your trying to make it sound and look as if Matt needs help.
    “Pay attention people” because this strategy sure seems to happen a lot around here in river city!

March 31, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Are you still here? I step away for 3 hours and here you are. I think you may be obsessed with NIT. I can’t blame you, but c’mon, man. Hitler now? You are a whack job. Please use the phone number I provided earlier so you can get the help you need.

33. ex-pat Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm

last time i checked it wasnt illegal to be insane or an ass, as Mr. Marquardt has been described. And last time i checked, free speech was also a part of our constitution. I agree that it may be in poor taste for both parties, and if it was truly the families wish, then so be it. I agree a private video would have been better recieved, but it wouldn’t have stopped the local and not-so-local media outlets from appearing. As someone raised in MC, it is typical of MCPD to show up and harrass a bystander breaking no laws, yet ignore the obvious parking laws being broken. DId they get a special permit that day? Doubtful, just all part of the politicking and the “who you know”..As amother who has a child with a delinquent background, all I can say is, that we have no right to judge that 13 yr old, and anyone who does, well, I hope no one in your family ever is ACCUSED of committing a crime or kills someone. we have no idea what Gretchen was dealing with or issues that were going on in that family. As outsiders we never have the full story, even the media, so I think that maybe they need to stop releasing details since a juvenile is involved. The great thing about our counrty is we are entitled to express our own opinions and we are also entitled to a fair trial. Unfortunately, those same rights apply to the media outlets who perpetuate fear and sensationalism in order to make money. And hey, matt-next time maybe wear professional clothes and come prepared with an open dialogue and maybe they will actual think your a journalist, it may be better recieved by those who don’t understand who these media really are.

• sadforNorthIowatoday Reply Report comment

April 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Ex-Pat, While your comments are not incorrect, I think your thinking is a little misguided. Yes, you are correct while it is not illegal to do this (I never said it was), It is unprofessional, bullyish, and not very businesslike. We can go down a very slippery slope if we start saying “It’s not illegal to….” It’s not illegal for me to tell everyone on my Facebook to take a flyin’ leap either (freedom of speech), but would I be better off being professional so that I don’t lose friends?

As far as the whole “A 13 year old was involved” circus. Yes, this person was a minor so the name should not be released. However, as a parent of a child very close to this age, I do want to know about it and I feel the media should cover it in some manner. I do disagree with covering the funeral but would not be taking pictures and calling “flippin KIMT with their skanky ass cameras next to garbage cans” and harrassing them. As soon as this discussion is closed, I’m probably not visiting again due to this. Most times, newsworthiness is decided by one peron. If that person thinks a cat in a tree is newsworthy, then by God, they will air the crap outta that story. Yes, a minor was involved, please Globe, NIT, KTTC, KAAL, KGLO, etc…. please continue to air these stories so I can protect my children but all should have used better judgement for next time. I’m now moving back to the very censored GG, and other news resources, as I refuse to support this sort of sensationalism just to get views.

34. wow Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I drove past this on my lunch and was sickened and disgusted by the news media there. I have lost plenty of loved ones even ones known very well in the community and NEVER once has it came into my head that the media should be apart of it! I don’t know where the family was going with inviting the media there but I think it is beyond wrong and seeing Matts video and article on this made me smile. From what I have read about Gretchen she was an amazing mother, nurse, wife and friend just like how many others in this community? Yes she was murdered allegedly at the hands of her own son making it that much harder on the family and it got sensationalized by the media and it breaks my heart!

April 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

Wow — you are a piece of work. You defend Matt (a member of the media), then you criticize Gretchen’s grieving family. Who are you to judge? The family worked with the funeral home and the news outlets to provide coverage. By all accounts, the media who were invited (not Matt) respected their wishes. If you watched the news coverage Friday evening, it was a very touching tribute to a very tragic death. I wish all the media (including Matt) would handle themselves with such sensitivity. I agree that I wouldn’t want the media outside my funeral, but Gretchen’s family did. It’s their right. But I think they deserved better than Matt making a fool of himself outside the church.

• wow Reply Report comment

April 2, 2012 at 9:13 am

Yep I sure am a piece of work that values life and has never and will never feel the need to exploit my family by inviting media to a loved one’s funeral!! Let’s just sit back and watch bet it won’t be too long before this story is a Lifetime movie to me it wasn’t for support its unneeded attention this is the first time I have EVER seen news covering a funeral and it is just plain wrong! If you do read everything Matt was invited and was so disgusted with being invited that he covered them covering the story but I know people that avoided going to the funeral because of all the extra attention that was brought there by the family. There have been letters to the editor written about this already because it is not right they could have RESPECTFULLY declined to cover the funeral it’s that simple. Funerals are NOT news they are personal time for family and friends to mourn the loss of a loved one no matter how that person died!!

35. Vultures Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Matt defended a woman who’s MURDER was publicised by a bunch of vultures and some of you people want to criticize that? come on people, IT WAS WRONG! Stop bashing/trashing Matt and insulting the NIT photographers because one thing is for sure, ALOT of people like them.

April 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

Why is Matt defending her son? Is he on the defense payroll? I thought the media was supposed to be unbiased and report the facts.

• Josh Reply Report comment

April 1, 2012 at 10:57 am

Report the facts? The globe skews the local news and doesn’t just report the facts. It will omit facts when it suits the needs of the slant of the article they are writing.

Matt do your story about the fair. Report the facts of their bylaws that no member of the board can bid for work. Dennis has is opportunity to state his side. If he turns down that chance it will allow your side to go unrebuttled.

36. Diva Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Matt did what needed to be done, end of story!

April 1, 2012 at 10:24 am

It’s hardly the end of the story. Just watch Matt report every gory detail of this case as it makes it way through the legal system. I hope you will remember his “outrage” when his “journalists” cover every sensational development.

April 1, 2012 at 10:25 am

u have lots to say this am!!! run those jibs…….

37. HomeOwner Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 11:56 am

“let it be known” : I agree. not long ago my house caught fire and NIT photographers were there covering the story but, before they started taking pictures they came up to me and asked about my well being and, asked if there was anything they could do for me, right there shows compassion and to me that is “Professionalism”. I never did get the chance to say “Thank You”. Years ago my dear friend got killed in clear lake in a car accident, one of the globe gazette photographers took a picture of my friend still in the car, DEAD and printed it.

38. Troubled Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 11:25 am

“Leave a Reply
    Your email address will not be published.”

No, but your IP address will be and Matt will break confidentiality if he doesn’t like what you have to say

Did everybody miss this?! HE JUST OUTED SOMEONE BECAUSE OF THEIR COMMENTS! I find this extremely troubling and unethical!

Be careful people, you would not tolerate this from any other business. And yes, this is a business. He makes money on this website the same way the Globe, KIMT, KLSS, and every other media in the world does, by advertising.

The more controversy he can start, where there doesn’t need to be any, the more hits to his website he gets, which in turn, means he can sell more advertising.

BE CAREFUL ON THIS SITE! IT IS NOT RUN BY A STABLE, ETHICAL PERSON!

• Reggie Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 11:41 am

Matt I have to agree with “Troubled” on this one.I know you feel very strongly about this issue but sometimes you need to just step back and think before you type.

March 31, 2012 at 11:42 am

Well here we go folks. More insults and innuendo aimed at me. Since you hide behind a fake name, what do you fear? Your IP address? Thanks for leaving this email address: “nothanks@screwyou.com” … I think that shows your level of maturity and adolescence.

I suggest you leave NIT and never come back if this site bothers you. I am sure you will try, but you will return, you can’t resist.

• Troubled Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 11:51 am

What if that was my real email?

March 31, 2012 at 11:56 am

It is clear you are a liar and habitual insulter. You refuse to debate me with your real name, yet you can accuse me of anything you can think of. All I did was express my opinion in this story. That has you extremely irate, perhaps you were in the video? It is clear you left a fake email address intended to further insult me. I found it humorous, just as I find your cowardly ways humorous. If this is your real email address, call your lawyer.

• Troubled Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Please allow me to explain my immature email address: I never intended the public to see that. Had I known it would be published, I wouldn’t have put anything.

I do not wish to be identified, like most everyone else on this site. I don’t feel safe revealing who I am on this site. This site is filled with fanatics and is run by one too.

I will not reply to whatever rebuttal you have. I’m sure it will be “thought provoking”, sensationalized, and will try to portray yourself as the hero of Mason City from the “corrupt” likes of the local media, government, etc.

Like I said before and Matt has proven “BE CAREFUL ON THIS SITE, PEOPLE”

March 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm

So you finally give up. You have run out of insults? You contributed ZERO to this discussion other than saying “you’re not safe on this site” and I am “imbalanced.” You are beaten, and you are slithering back under your rock. Good bye for now… we will see you in a couple hours when you come back to get the real news. You are still welcome here.
        As for your accusations about NIT. This site has been up for 18 months come April 1. It has a loyal following. Yes, I allow editorials that are hard hitting, I believe in the first amendment. People realize they are treated fairly here and can speak their mind. The traffic spikes month after month prove NIT is here to stay.

• Reggie Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Matt let me see if I got this straight. You disagreed with what one poster was saying and told everyone that this one poster was using multiple names,like I’m sure a few posters do.You then posted their I.P. Address.When Troubled said that was wrong you posted his e-mail address.Yes it was a fake one BUT your site says “Your e-mail address will not be published”. It doesn’t say “only if it’s your REAL address it will not be published”. You also implied he was a snake. Matt like I said before ,sometimes you need to step back and take a deep breath before you type.I know you are passionate about this and I appreciate your passion.

March 31, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Reggie. It says “your” email address will not be published. It was not his email address. It was fake. Case closed.

• Dave Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Troubled, I was about to atempt to write the same thing about Matt’s very poor behavior but you said it better than I could. For the past several months I have gotten the impression from his writtings here that he has a very big head, is full of him self, and is an ass. The video proved that. What a nut case you are. It is to bad because when you first started this site I think you had good intentions. Now I think you want to be part of every story. Good bye NIT.

March 31, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Katie, Dave, others… you sure spend a lot of time here at NIT. You are some of my best customers. Dozens and dozens of story comments between you. Wow, you sure hate me and NIT, but you are here constantly. Allow me to help you with your obvious personal and psychological problems:
      Welcome To The Mental Health Center of North Iowa
      http://www.mhconi.org – 235 South Eisenhower Ave. Mason City, Iowa 50401-1562. Telephone (641)424- 2075. Toll Free (800) 700-IOWA Fax(641)424-9555

• Guest Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Matt claims to run a fair, unbiased site… yet refers people who show disagreement with him to the MHC. Real classy Matt. Real classy.

39. betsy Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 10:38 am

I have never heard of a family that is grieving calling up the media and saying ‘Hey get your cameras and sound bites down to my loved one’s funeral, we want this in the news.’ If this is normal then I guess I missed something. No one reading these comments can honestly say they woud call and ask them to do this. I really believe the family did this to control the media, not invite them. The family knew the media would be there no matter what.

40. dirty laundry Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 10:34 am

Click this link for the truth about why the media was there: http://youtu.be/46bBWBG9r2o

41. As a matter of fact Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 10:22 am

Unless I missed it where was the coverage of former KIMT Don Harman’s funeral? In fact, (again unless I missed it) I dont even think KIMT made their condolences to Don’s family. Why? You would think since Don worked for them at one point they would of covered his funeral or printed a article? none,that I can find. What about Jodi H. I’m sure her family had some kind of service for her where was her coverage? STRANGE isn’t it?
    Matt did “The Right Thing”,good job Matt!
    Tom Crooks: What is the real reason the family needed the media at the funeral? Like someone else said, you could of privately recorded it.

• Maybe Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 10:27 am

Could it be the reason the family wanted it publicized is for the sole purpose of helping this kid during the trial. Just a thought.

• You might be on to something Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

You could very well be on to something ‘maybe. Too much media coverage/ and citizen outrage if this kid has a trial it wont be around here which could help his case.

42. Mike Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 9:58 am

I stand with NIT what the F! I was surprised to see KIMT there though it was not Minnesota news.

43. Carol Patnode Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 9:39 am

I agree with Matt that this demonstrates irresponsible and unethical reporting practices – all in an effort to increase the number of readers or viewers. There are better ways to achieve this. And thanks to Matt these practices are being discussed and challenged.

• Katie Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Matt did what he did for the very same reasons. To attract an audience.

44. finkelstein Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 9:35 am

I am extremely saddened by the media coverage of this tragedy. It’s one thing to report the death of a lovely young woman – a fellow nurse, a mother, daughter, wife, mother, sister, friend but yet another thing – something very dark and deep – to air the “gory” details of this horrible event. This family is devastated – none of them will ever be the same nor will we. The community that Gretchen served. We do not know the whole story of what happened last Saturday nor should we. We need to mourn Gretchen’s loss. We also need to mourn what is happening with her youngest son.

The media coverage is nothing more than outright voyeurism. The story could have been covered and done tastefully without the “lurid” pieces that pierce one’s heart. The media’s ratings will no doubt see a bump as there are people out there that feel they should know every last detail. In the end, that’s between God and Gretchen’s son. May there be mercy for him and his family.

I pray that nothing like this happens in the lives of the folks “covering” this story. The real story is the tragic loss. Period.

April 1, 2012 at 10:31 am

Good points. But there are lots of tragedies in our world today. They are news. When we stop having the media cover them then we don’t have anyone to trust — we aren’t going to get the governemnt to hold themselves accountable. What we need is a media that covers tough stories with sensitivity. I’m not sure that’s what Matt did in this case.

April 1, 2012 at 10:55 am

You are a twisted person. The funeral is not a tragedy. The tragedy was the murder, and continues with the trashing of the boy in the media. You are so lost I feel there is little or no hope for you. You have been here all morning leveling insults on me and NIT, and now this. Perhaps you work at the Globe or KIMT? You certainly are defending yourself and spewing venom today.

April 1, 2012 at 11:11 am

Sorry, Matt. Try again. I don’t work at either the Globe or KIMT. But you call me on a regular basis for news tips. I don’t think I’ve written anything with venom — just a perspective that you disagree with. I am upset. I hope that you and your team would conduct yourselves with more decorum outside a funeral. If you can’t accept that type of constructive criticism, then stop putting your editorials out there. You have a point of view. So do I.

45. peter children Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

I know for a fact that Matt Marquart was invited to join the other media outlets at the funeral; he declined. The more he thought about it the more he became enraged. There are standards we all must impose upon ourselves and decency should be at the top of that list. To exploit personal tragdy is truly unconscionable, especially for ommerical gain.

People are saying it was done to accommodate those who could not attend; when was the last time you heard of an employer who refused to let somepone off to attrend a funeral? You could have used a day of vacation or a sick day. There was no justifable excuse to put private grief onto tape…then broadcast it. This case has been writtren about for days; there has to be a line no one crosses, and if it not at the brink of the grave, then where?

Whether you admit it or not, we all have standards of decency, in this case Matt’s are just somewhat higher than most others.

• peter children Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 9:22 am

Sorry for the typos, sent it off too fast.

• Kinkyh Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 10:05 am

Simple solution, read through it before you post it, not after.

• Reggie Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 11:54 am

Peter was it news? Yes. Was it in poor taste?Yes.Are some of the things you and Matt right about in poor taste? Some people think so.Your line for poor taste starts at the brink of the grave?I would like to say mine starts a little further back.

• Katie Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:35 pm

It’s pretty hard for a hospital to let everyone’s coworkers in intensive care off for the day to go to a funeral. Who is going to take care of the patients?

• Sam Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Why wasn’t the funeral taped by the family and / or funeral director? You’re argument makes no sense. The media horned in on this.

• Katie Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I’m not arguing. I was answering Peter’s post about “when was the last time you heard of an employer who refused to let someone off to attend a funeral?”

I also think there may be something to the idea that an attorney may have wanted there to be a lot of media coverage for legal reasons for the son’s ability to get a fair trial down the road. The father/husband probably had a difficult decision to make, deciding between his son’s future or a media circus for his wife’s funeral. I feel very bad for her family.

• Never trust anyone whose name includes the words Peter and Children Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 2:51 pm

So Peter Children is going to be the judge of other people’s decency?

April 1, 2012 at 10:34 am

Amen Peter about the need for decency. But it should start with Matt.

46. let it be known Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

Why in the world would the family invite ANY media? I agree,that is very strange. The kid is sick and will NEVER get rehabilitated.

BTW, let it be known to all the haters who like to bash NIT photographers about not being “Professional” , I was hesitant not to hire a professional for my wedding, but heard that the NIT photographers were very good/ they took photos of my wedding and my daughters senior pictures and they turned out fabulous, I would recommend them to anybody.

April 1, 2012 at 10:38 am

Let it be known, I’m glad you have nominated yourself to become judge, jury, and executioner for this boy. How do you know that (1) he’s guilty of the crime, and (2) he can’t be rehabilitated. He’s 13 for God’s sake.

Plus, if you consider this an example of NIT’s professionalism, God help us all. I’d take the other media outlets huddled under a tent than a man with a camcorder yelling at people outside a church.

April 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

Right. More lies. I never judged the boy, period. The media has, though. Forgive me for trying to give him a the chance no one else is, save perhaps his family. You are a liar, twisting my words, and you know it. Live with that.

April 1, 2012 at 11:16 am

A little defensive this morning, Matt? You shouldn’t be defending the boy. That’s your problem. You are too close to the story. You should be reporting the facts — nothing more, nothing less. Focus on what’s importnat, not just creating controversy for the sake of getting people to read your editorials and creating ad revenue at the expense of this tragedy.

April 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Appreciate the morning words of wisdom from you, a nameless insulting person. I’m just fine though, I am very happy with my video and my conduct, I will do it again. Just stay tuned to NIT, which won’t be a problem for you. This is your 20th post this morning.

April 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Since you’re so busy not covering real news and worried about my postings, count this response as #21. 🙂

I’m glad you stand behind your actions. I hope your advertisers will as well. I plan on asking them to pull their support of your website because I believe you don’t treat people fairly.

April 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm

You would be only the latest representative from City Hall to go to my advertisers. Thank you for admitting this to me. I will document it.

April 1, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I’m a taxpaying citizen-activist first and foremost. Don’t blame me. I wasn’t making an a** of myself outside a funeral. You’re the one who will have to explain that to your advertisers.

47. comment Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

Go change your dipper anonymous. No family deserves to have their tragedy made front page news. Just because sickos like you and others enjoy it doesn’t make it right.

April 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

You mean like how Matt made this the front page story on this website? use your own rationale before bashing others.

48. Wrong Move Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 8:43 am

NO, what the family and media just did is open the door to other sick/demented kids (who we dont know about, yet) to think this is cool to get all this media attention. Think about THAT! ALL involved should be ashamed of this poor woman’s publicise·funeral. The family could of had the funeral home/or the church privately record the funeral but they chose the media instead. That’s very ODD.

49. anonymous Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 8:15 am

I think matt was probably upset because he wasn’t invited by the family or by the other media outlets to cover this story. So Matt with his hatred of the media groups was going to show them. It was basically harrasment but when you can hide behind a camera and yell freedom of speech. That is what I would call chicken sh^*. It is called professionalism and credibility. Non of which I think this site has.

50. Keitha Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 8:04 am

I am so upset by the way people are acting. Gretchen would not want this at all. People that know her very well would say the same thing. I am sure she wouldn’t want her sons name no matter what to be rubbed in the mud but I sure she would of wanted him to get help. She was that type of person. The family wanted the news to be there? Why? I could of made news about my son’s death and how serious his condition was. My God people, Really I wouldn’t of done that to my daughter or my grandchild and the rest of the people who wanted to mourn privately. Yea what happen to her was tragic!!!! There is to much violence on the news and really telling children on tv that if they can get a gun to do the same or take control of their parents. Just remember who you are telling people!!! The more details you guys get into the more ideas that children get from it all. It is sick!!!! Yea at least us parents can control what movie to watch and put a lock on the internet but the news you can’t and that is where those ideas come from. Try harder to not get into specifics until all evidence and all people who is involved have already explained their side. I am sick of media attention all the time until that time comes. Like I said that Gretchen was a great person and friend. She wouldn’t want this.

March 31, 2012 at 7:50 am

Matt you simply brought to light what our society has degresed to and the news medias prey on because it sells papers. Others misfortune is big business. A truly sad day.

52. Media Invited to a funeral by family? Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 7:34 am

The family invited the press to the funeral because co-workers couldn’t all be there? So, a few years ago when my father died, I should have invited KIMT, the Globe, KTTC and all surrounding media to be there so all his co-workers that had to work the day of the funeral could see it on TV or in the paper? I bet they would have been there. I think not. He had many friends that couldn’t make it, many in Minnesota. Rochester wasn’t there to film and broadcast it for them.
    I guess, anyone that has a loved one pass away, and everybody from work can’t make it, call the media, they’ll cover it for them to see. Better hire more reporters.

53. mez Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:37 am

Anonymous: If you are so set in your ass opinion of the specifics reguarding your point of view,why be Anonymous. Come out from under the skirt & use your… balls shall I say…use your real name. M&M GREAT STUFF.

54. Watchdog Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:12 am

Wow!

Sue Johnson, you are way into to much violence. You are obviously way to involved.

You want someone to get violent with Matt Marquardt because he was upset that a 13 year old boy was being used to create a media story to make money?

He does a editorial on the media over stepping their boundaries to make money and you want to see him hurt.

Get real.

April 1, 2012 at 10:53 am

Matt was no better. He was creating a scene to make money.

55. Benjamin Bicknese Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:12 am

Can’t make it as a real journalist, so you try to Brietbart it….well played clown.

56. justified Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:11 am

Unhinged is correct and you did come off like a ass. How many times came you say man, man. I thought we were here in Iowa not San Francisco man. As far as the boy goes I will not say negative things about our family but I will say that you have no idea of what you are tying to complain of when it comes to him so for they family, SHUT UP.

57. Benjamin Bicknese Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 12:53 am

A 13 year old shotgunned his mother to death, and sexually assaulted her ( public records and court docs) ….and yet this is not newsworthy…please…..I hope none of you watched the OJ case…..hypocrites.

• Benjamin Bicknese Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:07 am

Did you watch the Casey Anthony case, Natalie Halloway case, the BTK case, the Dalhmer case, the Manson specials on NBC….anything on Jody H….your all rubber neckers, give it up. Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.

58. twister Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm

MATT AWESOME JOB ALL THE REST OF MEDIA SHOULD BE ASHAMED. IAM THINKING THERE SHOULD BE A PROTEST ORGANIZED COUNT ME IN.

March 30, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Thank you sir. I don’t always play nice… not anymore. Nice guys finish last. I had a point to prove today.

April 1, 2012 at 10:46 am

Matt, when did this become all about you? “Nice guys finish last”? Focus on reporting facts and less on editoralizing and you might finish first beating the traditional media at their game. But trying to ambush others doest make you better. It just makes you look foolish.

April 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

So because I am “different” I am now “foolish.” In your world, we should all speak the same language and be the same color, same customs. To combat bullies, you have to be a bully yourself at times. I said from the start the video wasn’t pretty. I suggest you stay tuned for more videos like this one. Maybe you can be in one someday?

April 1, 2012 at 11:23 am

Matt, let’s examine your last post. I make an observation about how you conduct yourself. You don’t like it. So your inclination is to lash out at me and threaten to ambush me with a video. I hope all your readers see how you run your website by trying to intimidate others. You can agree to disagree on my points, but all I’ve asked is that you hold yourself and your staff up to the same standrads that you’re criticizing the other media.

59. TheRealFred Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Matt, you did come off a little “lunaticish” there. That being said, it does blow my mind that the media would even consider covering a funeral. That would not even enter my mind to do that.
    I did find it comical that both KIMT and KTTC would both use the same tent to broadcast from.

60. GlobeGazetteStinks Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Did they have a permit for that tent?

61. T.j. Dodd Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Not pretty?…..That was poetry brother.

62. unhinged Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

NIT loves to cover fires, accidents and other personal tragedy. They interview the homeowners who are standing crying as they watch their house burn. They stand in the middle of accident scenes and publish photos of the victims. They post photos of an innocent victim laying in the parking lot of Burkes with his shirt pulled up after he got knocked out. They thrive on ‘sensationalism.’ The only reason Matt got self-righteous is because he got a not-so-bright idea that he would try to try to make himself look good while bashing the local media. It backfired and he sounds like a lunatic. The funeral home sent out an email and told them exactly where to be and provided access to the churches audio system so they could listen to the service from the outside. The funeral also asked for photos taken at the service the globe so they could be given to the family.

March 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm

why not hire your own film crew? NIT best news source around!

• Watchdog Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 12:47 am

This did not backfire on Mr. Marquardt.

He was doing his job, pointing out the sickness in today’s media.

Good job, NIT

• slim Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 9:55 am

(victim laying in the parking lot of Burkes with his shirt pulled up after he got knocked out)

And did you check the gut on that pilgram ??

• Katie Reply Report comment

March 31, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Amen. Matt, you sound like a jerk. And you’re using this funeral for profit just like the other news organizations. Only in a different way. You’re pretending to have a conscience, but we know you really don’t.

I can see from this video why no one in town wants to cooperate with you or give you stories if you badger people like this. Who the heck would want to talk to someone that acts like this? No wonder no one from City Hall will tell you what’s going on. Good luck getting that interview with the Fair Board next week. I’d turn you down.

March 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Again, more insults. With nothing to back up your claims. No media at the funeral = no NIT to cover them. Katie, your claims are baseless and idiotic. I get tons of info from people everyday, including people at City Hall.

By the way, I got my interview with Dennis… did you watch the video? He has never returned my calls before… this was the only way to confront him about the fact that he, as a fair board member, is hired to set up sound systems for the fair. As I understand it, a fair board member cannot work for pay from the fair.

April 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

Matt, I work at city hall. There’s a reason why no one talks to you: you can’t get your facts straight. Try taking a course in journalism 101 before becoming the supreme leader of holding the media accountable to your standards.

April 1, 2012 at 12:15 pm

This is getting better all the time. Now you work at City Hall. Next you are an astronaut. Better than fiction… do your bosses at City Hall know you spend every waking moment on NIT?

April 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm

It’s Sunday. I’m off of work today today. And that’s no fiction. Your article, however…

For someone who espouses the virtues of the First Amendment of free comment, you sure don’t like people questioning you. Weird, huh?

63. Bill Hunt Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Matt, Love the video. Disgusting what these “news” outlets will do to make a buck. My only beef is you picking on the two reporters for just following orders. You an I both know Beth Tuttle and the other guy from Rochester were assigned this story by a producer. They seem like normal people and probably didn’t push to cover this tragedy. Sure they could have shirked when they were assigned to this story, but this was hardly a fall-on-your-sword issue. Beth and the Rochester guy were just doing their jobs, we all have to do stuff for work that we don’t want to do, or that we might disagree with sometimes. They were sent to cover the story, just as you send your reporters to cover other stories. Glad you cast some light on our local media…It’s why I love your site. Keep up the good work, but don’t shoot the reporter.

64. Jim S Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Matt- I get what you are doing and why –

just sane it up a little –

Jim S

65. Khloe Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I am a supporter of Matt’s cause today. I work in the area and Kimt was on scene at 7:30 a.m. when the funeral did not even begin until 1 p.m. What were they expecting to see, setting up camp so early? They also took up 4 parking spaces in a 2 hr parking zone and did not get a ticket. The rest of the media acted
    Like crazy paparazzi, taking shots from parking lots surrounding the church. It was very unsettling to watch and such a distraction. I could not imagine leaving a funeral in tears and having multiple cameras flash before my eyes. Everyone who walked that same sidewalk looked so uncomfortable near the media camp. Matt was simply doing
    Exactly what they were doing only he had a different story to tell. The cops should
    Not have been called, he was reporting just as they were! It didn’t matter that they had different subjects.

March 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I’m sorry, but this doesn’t make much sense to me. You support Matt’s cause, but then say that he was doing the same thing that the other reporters were doing? Matt was the one making a scene, which was much more offensive than the subdued media in their tent.

• Anastasia Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I was also in the area and saw what “Khloe” saw…. Matt was walking around with a phone in his hand… that’s all! If the family permitted media to be there so that other Mercy employees could watch the funeral – was it necessary to have a big blue tent set up with multiple people in there — and several other news organizations there with the cameras set up capturing the mourning people walking in and out of the church?!?!? To be quite honest with you, Matt was the LEAST noticable person there!!

66. Echo Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm

This site has every right to report any story they see fit and if people disagree with what is reported they don’t have to read the story. I think its funny when people complain about Matt and NIT but they continue coming back. I would be willing to bet NIT has had more comments on their story then any on the globe or kimt today. I guess the people have spoken NIT is this areas real news source.

March 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm

The media repeatedly told Matt that they were requested by the family to be at the funeral. Strange how that never got on film… Hey Matt, you are terribly unprofessional reporter. I am embarrassed by your actions. You should be immensely ashamed. Also, repeating words because you can’t think of anything else to say doesn’t make you come off as smart or intense – it just makes you sound like an obnoxious broken record.

March 30, 2012 at 9:06 pm

ALL Media edits their tapes/articles and puts in how they want to tell the story how they want it to be told. KIMT does it all the time with their video – they don’t tell the story the way the person being recorded wants it told but how they want it told. I think that Matt was trying to defend the child who is involved and Gretchen.

68. North Iowa Mugshots Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

In the end they are all luckly NIM isn’t in the news game, cause they are whipping all you media suck asses on Facebook. You many likes do you all have again in their relm?

69. Anon Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Please, Matt, grow up. You come across as delusional. If you want to be seen as a professional journalist, you need to step back, be selfless, and keep yourself out of the story. Take the high road and let people do their jobs.

March 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Fifth comment today from the above person. All 5 different names. All five leveling insults. Also the comment below, from “please” is from same IP address. 173.27.20.254

March 30, 2012 at 8:01 pm

hum, wonder who it is?

• Lamer Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Yep, we have a Mediacom IP address. If you can’t deal with a few online insults maybe you shouldn’t be hurling them at people doing their job, at the request of the family at the funeral.

March 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I can deal with it just fine, thanks. I see you have a new name, by the way.

• @ anonymous Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I don’t get it. I went to the website and looked it up but how do you find out who it was? It tells me nothing.

70. Please Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Seek professional help. You are seriously delusional. You are going to end up hurting someone, maybe yourself. This is not a joke.

71. Get a job Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm

March 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Matt, way to show up in shorts and a hat. Classy!

March 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Shorts and a hat? I didn’t even see Matt in the video.

March 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I wasn’t in the video. The above comment was written by one of the media birds in the parking lot that I shot video of. This person has commented 4 times now, all with fake names (hello, IP address). There are several commenting multiple times with a different fake name, all piling on me and leveling insults. I think the average person will be able to see where these people come from.

73. train wreck Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:11 pm

i am drawn to this website because it’s like watching a train wreck. i take everything i read here with a HUGE grain of salt. not a fan of how matt talked to the others.

March 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm

did u poop?

April 1, 2012 at 10:59 am

Whatever happened to “do onto others as you would have done onto you?” Matt attacked others and seems to have a thin skin when it comes to readers criticizing his actions. I guess in Matt’s mind the First Amendment only goes so far.

74. The pot calling the kettle Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm

The headline on Matt’s story at http://www.northiowatoday.com/?p=13923 clearly says, “Mom shot and killed in Osage”

Just whose “Mom” did you mean, Matt? Certainly not mine.

You, yourself, revealed his identity right there.

March 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I believe the headline you are refurring to The Pot calling the kettle, does not mention the boy or his name. The headline “Mom shot and killed in Osage” is clearly saying just that – a mom was killed in Osage. It doesn’t mention anything about the child. This child needs help, if my child’s name was published in any newspaper or on any TV in these or any circumstances I would be irate!! I pray that there is help for this boy and he can get the help that he needs!!

• The pot calling the kettle Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

The headline to which I am “refurring” does not need to give his name to reveal his identity. The story gives his mother’s name (before her name was released by the police) and the headline reveals her child’s involvement by calling her “Mom,” not “Nurse” or “Mason City Native” or anything else Matt could have called her. Anybody with normal intelligence can figure it out. Now Matt complains about other media identifying him.

March 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm

u dumb $hit! she was a “MOM” u dumb fu#k!!!!!!!!

March 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I saw this today. I was embarrassed for the family and the media there working to tell the story of who Gretchen is. This site is not media, it’s not even good in a TMZ way. The only reason people continue to read it is for the same reason people slow down at accidents.

March 30, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Difference between NIT and TMZ: TMZ has standards.

March 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm

LOTS OF PEOPLE FROM THE GLOB AND KIMT COMMENTING HERE!!! I CAN SEE THAT…………………… LOL

76. wtf Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I cant believe they called the police

March 30, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I would have called the police too. The man behind the camera was a jerk. It’s too bad the police didn’t arrest him. I’m sure he would have done another story on that injustice too.

March 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm

LOL. Matt preys on the family’s tragedy. Then he calls out the media for covering the same stories. Who’s the hypocrite?

• seriously!? Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:03 pm

thats funny I dont see any sensationalism in that article…

77. bc Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm

kinda hypocritical when North Iowa Today was first to post the victims name before any details had been released……..or did people forget that already

78. miss everything Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm

that Dennis is a dill… good work Matt…

March 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm

yea, reminds me of dill pickle, that used to work for kimt!!!!!!!!!!!!! wack job!!!!!!!!! he was a blow job!!!!!!! still is………

March 30, 2012 at 6:51 pm

There are so many things incorrect about Matt’s article it’s hard to even call it journalism.

March 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I can’t believe that others are supportive of someone ranting and raving outside a funeral like Matt did. You might not like the news crews from covering this tragic funeral, but it’s their job. And it looked like they stood across the street from the church. They handled themselves much more professionally than Matt did.

March 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm

This is horrible how you treated the media. I hope your juvenile approach is noticed by your readers and advertisers and they stop supporting this website. I am so disgusted in Mr. Marquardt’s actions.

March 30, 2012 at 6:51 pm

why are you reading the site then??????????????????

March 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Because someone should stand up to this bully.

• Anonymous2 Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm

NIT is just like masturbation….everybody does it but no one will admit it!!

March 30, 2012 at 6:46 pm

You made yourself look like and sound like an ASS

March 30, 2012 at 6:45 pm

WAY TO GO MATT!!!!!!!!!! YOU SHOWED THEM!

84. You're kidding, right? Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Matt you self righteous ass. You were the “media” and I use that term loosely in your case that published Gretchen’s name before it had been released by the authorities. In case you didn’t know it, or even care, there were family members that had not been notified. You made more of a spectacle of this than the legitimate media did.

March 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm

u either work for the glob or kimt right??!!! jackass!!

• you're kidding, right? Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm

No, I’m not. I’m a friend of Gretchen’s family and have been for close to 20 years. I thought the legitimate media covered this tragedy in a very professional and compassionate manner. Unlike this sorry excuse for a news outlet. Matt is the one that should be ashamed he is the one with the seek and destroy agenda and shows up at a funeral to make his point.

• miss everything Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm

seriously quit hating… at least someone has the balls to challenge other media outlets… Matt was the first to present the FACTS, In an unbiased way, might I add.. so get over it … go find something to do with your life instead of trolling…

March 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm

WOW. What a jackass. I can’t believe you would disrespect someone like that.

• Echo Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm

You hypocrite you complain about someone reporting a name of an adult but you think its alright for the media to be at a funeral and televise it. You are a joke. Matt keep it up you obviously are telling it like it is and that has many people in this community worried.

• You're kidding, right? Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 7:12 pm

No Echo, I’m no joke.

85. Publius Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm

This is my new favorite video! LOL @ the news media who can’t handle the camera being turned on them!

86. tom crooks Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm

This was actually a request from the family and friends of gretchen to have them outside the church. Her family was all for it. Reason being is not everyone at mercy can take the day off to go to her funeral so they wanted a chance to watch it with their friends and family. Better do some investigating on the store before u lash other media.

March 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Matt tries to antagonize the media outside a funeral. Who’s creating the scene?

What Matt doesn’t mention is that the family (via the funeral home) made the arrangements for the media to stay at a respectful distance.

Matt — you should be ashamed.

88. Timmy Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Matt,

I don’t think you had to repeat yourself so many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times. It came across as childish.
    Mentioned the word death 100 times…man… yeah, man….yeah man.
    You did sound like you were rambling, as one person said.

Good idea, but it could have been done in 30 seconds. It’s also two faced, you jumped on the story. How come you don’t report every obituary, just stuff like this? Man…

It was a good idea…you took it way to far, and it came across as childish…man…bro…man…

Last…why did you need to read the letters KIMT on the KIMT van? As though, man, we couldn’t read the side of the van, man..?

89. BladyBlah Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm

This just made my day!!!!! Funny!!!!! Best is the woman at the end!!!

90. joke Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm

What exactly were they waiting and filming for Matt? Really did they think something would happen or just wanting to see the family crying? Cuz that’s all they’d get– tears. They better hope someone thinks twice if it happens to them.

91. anonymous Reply Report comment

March 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Thank you Matt for not sinking to their level.