This news story was published on May 4, 2018.

DES MOINES – Gov. Kim Reynolds released the following statement Friday after signing the heartbeat bill, Senate File 359 (an Act prohibiting and requiring certain actions relating to a fetus and providing penalties):

Kim Reynolds

“I believe that all innocent life is precious and sacred, and as governor, I pledged to do everything in my power to protect it. That is what I am doing today. I understand that not everyone will agree with this decision. But if death is determined when a heart stops beating, then doesn’t a beating heart indicate life? For me, it is immoral to stop an innocent beating heart. For me, it is sickening to sell fetal body parts. For me, my faith leads me to protect every Iowan, no matter how small.

“I understand and anticipate that this will likely be challenged in court, and that courts may even put a hold on the law until it reaches the Supreme Court. However, this is bigger than just a law. This is about life. I am not going to back down from who I am or what I believe in.”

This week, Iowa’s Republican-controlled legislature approved what some say is the land’s most-restrictive law yet on abortion. Abortions cannot be performed once a beating heart is detected in a fetus. The law will be challenged in a lawsuit, Democratic lawmakers say.

Reynolds signed the heartbeat bill Friday this afternoon in the Governor’s Formal Office at the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines.

13 Responses to Gov. Reynolds releases statement after signing heartbeat bill, which limits abortion

May 7, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Sad day for freedom from Religion.

May 6, 2018 at 4:57 pm

I assume everyone realizes this law actually accomplished nothing. Those who want an abortion will just now go to Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, etc. to get one.

Meanwhile, the Iowa tax payer has already paid state legislators salaries who used our money to draft this useless legislation instead of doing things like finding ways to fund our schools and making Iowa an attractive place for investment. The best is yet to come for Iowa taxpayers will now be on the hook for all the legal fees which are forthcoming regarding this piece of legislation that runs counter to federal law and runs counter to the US constitution.

May 4, 2018 at 10:38 pm

It’s about time we stick up for these little folk. Thanks Gov.

May 5, 2018 at 1:14 am

It’s never time to make laws based upon ‘faith’ and ‘religoin’ We are now no better than Syria or Iraq.

May 5, 2018 at 6:46 am

Your right the Mooslem religion don’t care if Americans abort infidels and dumocrats no matter what age, early or much later term.

May 4, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Laws based on religion. This is a truly sad day for this state and country.

May 4, 2018 at 6:20 pm

Roe vs Wade. “The law is the law” – Ronald Reagan.

Anyone that supports this should also support welfare attached to the bill. You also have to care about babies after they are born.
    Pro-life means if you force someone to have a baby, you make sure that child is fed, educated, and given every necessity for life.
    Pro-Birth is what these people are truly supporting.
    Every child must be born but we will not make sure they have a quality life.

May 5, 2018 at 7:47 am

At least this way they have a chance of living a life. The other way they have nothing. If you can’t support a child don’t get pregnant. It is called personal responsibility. Something Liberals know nothing about.

May 5, 2018 at 10:25 am

Well, in my crappy religion, a life isn’t created until the baby’s head breaks the plane of the vagina (or foot in case of breach).

So who’s crappy religion is right? Yours with the fairytale sky wizard who says a beating heart is the start of life or mine? Seems like the only fair solution is to keep religion and faith out of law making – leave the decision up to each individual who is far better positioned to make a decision about their health than you are.

• bodacious Reply Report comment

May 5, 2018 at 5:22 pm

How many kids have you adopted? How much have you given to organizations that provide care to homeless and abandoned children – in either time or money? Who do you care about except yourself?

May 5, 2018 at 6:06 pm

How many kids have you adopted? How much have you given to organizations that provide care to homeless and abandoned children – in either time or money? Who do you care about except yourself and the other liberal lemmings? You are certainly an arrogant ignoramus.

• bodacious

May 6, 2018 at 3:02 pm

I have adopted none but I give money annually to organizations that provide care for the homeless and neglected children. I volunteer at mentor programs. I support a woman’s right to choose. I certainly do a lot more than you do.