MASON CITY – A house fire was reported Friday afternoon in Mason City.
A local man who lives a couple of houses down says he was the first to call the fire department for the emergency at 927 N. Tyler Avenue. He said that sometimes there is a fire pit burning at the residence. The house is owned by Douglas Huey.
Thick, heavy, black smoke billowed down the street toward the west as fire fighters arrive sometime around 12:12 PM to battle the blaze.
“I saw them bring a stretcher into the house,” the neighbor told NIT.
Mason City Fire Marshall Jamey Medlin told NIT that a fire crew made entry and extinguished the fire while performing search and rescue:
“A victim was found in the house. Victim information will be released at a later date after notification of family members.
“The cause of the fire is accidental and was a multi-plug surge protector located near an entertainment center. The multi-plug surge protector was collected as evidence and for further testing.
“Heavy fire damage was in the living/TV room on the back of the house, with smoke damage throughout the house.
“Mason City Police Department and the Iowa State Fire Marshal Agent assisted the Mason City Fire Department with the investigation.”