Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region

Iowa State Patrol issues thousands of speeding tickets in January

This news story was published on February 27, 2017.

Iowa State Patrol photo: A State Trooper’s recent traffic stop of a vehicle driving 91mph in a 55 mph zone

CEDAR RAPIDS – The Iowa State Patrol was very busy in January, issuing well over 6,000 speeding citations.

Today, the Iowa State Patrol released some information about its activities.

In January of 2017, the Iowa State Patrol issued 6,267 speeding citations to motorists across the state – that is approximately 202 citations issued per day.

“We continue to see excessive speeds on Iowa roadways, which is concerning to law enforcement considering over half of last year’s 403 fatalities were attributed to speed,” the law enforcement agency noted via social media.

Currently, the Iowa Legislature is considering raising speed limits on Iowa’s interstate road system. Last year, the Legislature denied a bill seeking to raise speed limits – just as it did in 2015.

32 Responses to Iowa State Patrol issues thousands of speeding tickets in January

March 1, 2017 at 8:05 am

Dumb Ass Troll gone!

March 1, 2017 at 4:36 am

the same person that calls a officer a pig is the same person that calls a officer when a crime has been committed against them, two faced

March 1, 2017 at 8:06 am

Absolutely. They whine and piss and moan until they need help, then call the police.

February 28, 2017 at 4:48 pm

This is what is wrong with country…sad but true …u say zero trust in authority..but who would be the first people you call if you get in an accident or someone breaks into ur house or anything bad happens..when ya don’t need police everybody talks tough and talks shit about them but when ya need them where is the tough talk???

*((*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*( : not your average Joe. Reply Report comment

February 28, 2017 at 10:55 am

Most of our problem in mason city is the good ol boys are all retired and the young guns think they know everything. As for the state troopers they have a big task every time they get out on the road, lots of drugs being run down our road ways. I for one run anywhere between 5-7 miles over the speed limit whether I’m in town or the interstates and I can except it if I get caught. If I do the crime I’ll pay the fine or do the time. Be the man and get on with life. law enforcement is only doing their job!!!

February 28, 2017 at 9:10 am

The Russians did it.

6. Allen

Allen Reply Report comment

February 28, 2017 at 9:07 am

It’s always, somebody else’s fault.

February 28, 2017 at 3:44 am

you guys remind me of the time I stopped a car for speeding, went to the vehicle got the information and was headed back to the squad to write the ticket. guy leaned out the wind and said “are you giving me a ticket”? and I said yes, he then said “your gunna make me lose my license” duh I wasn’t driving the speeding car, he was so he must be making it so he lost his own license. another officer had the same scenero but the driver asked him “are you giving me a ticket” and that officer replied ” no we don’t just give out tickets, you have to earn them”. Buckle up and don’t speed and you wont see us.

February 28, 2017 at 7:20 am

It’s very easy, just obey the law.

Sad but true Reply Report comment

February 28, 2017 at 9:17 am

I have been stopped 3 times in the last 5 years WITHOUT cause. What was my crime? I was out driving past midnight. Never ticketed, but stopped 3 times without cause.
      once said I was speeding, I was not and the officer knew it
      second, county blacktop at 1.00 am, officer said I drove left of center, I had not.
      Third, stopped and everyone in my car ID at 1.00 am for the old lack of licence plate light scam. After 15 min. I exited my vehicle and looked at the plate light, both were showing brightly. I tapped on the officers window and asked him to show me what light was out? He looked, and said I guess they both work, here are your licenses your free to go.
      Officers are so hoping to right the BIG $$$$ OWI that they will stop you far any reason, legal or not.
      That is wrong and leads me to ZERO trust of authority.

• Allen

Allen Reply Report comment

February 28, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Just a thought. There are many people out past midnight, that are up to no good. And sometimes they are hard to identify. If I am out after midnight, and get stopped, I’ll know that the officer is doing his job.

Sad but true Reply Report comment

February 28, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Really? Is it illeagle to be out past midnight? Is this a socialist state? What are you thinking? Have you ever heard of probable cause? Does the constitution matter to you?

Allen

February 28, 2017 at 2:47 pm

WOW, why the hostility??? Did you read my post and comprehend it??? It was just a thought, and true. Chill out, don’t have a cow, at least until you get stopped again.

Anonymous

March 2, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Allen, I like our law enforcement as much as the next law abiding citizen, but the guy has a point. USA is not a communist dictatorship. The Fourth amendment guarantee an absolute right not to be bothered by the police unless there is reasonable suspicion. A right not exercised is a right lost. Don’t let it slip I f pulled over without reason. Go after the PD. Be a pain in the rear. It’s your civil duty!

February 28, 2017 at 2:20 pm

The old saying goes, “nothing good happens after midnight”

Allen

February 28, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Exactly, unless you live in a socialist state that doesn’t have a constitution.

Anonymous

February 28, 2017 at 2:51 pm

If you are out past 11:00 PM and give them a reason (any reason at all) even if they have to make one up, they will pull you over and check you out.

February 27, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Keep cutting the budget… Also we can get by with half of these clowns.. As we right the ship cut the pay on the other half…
    State tit is drying up…. Reality is coming home to roost!!!

February 27, 2017 at 8:41 pm

if all u people just drive the speed limit or wear ur seat belt then there wouldn’t be so many tickets..but just like everything else in todays world…there is no responsibility when people screw up just always excuses of why it shouldn’t have happened…following rules and laws isn’t very hard..

*((*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*( : not your average Joe. Reply Report comment

February 27, 2017 at 7:06 pm

“I should know”” Lets turn this into a race game

February 27, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Not concerned about real criminals. Just collect those fines.

I Should Know Reply Report comment

February 27, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Government should enforce traffic laws (speeding, full stop at a stop sign or stop light, etc.) with the same vigor we are now seeing for immigration.

Sad but true Reply Report comment

February 27, 2017 at 4:22 pm

at 85.000 dollars salary(average, many make a lot more). This money has to be raised to keep these salaries, Ipers, sick leave, paid vacations, paid healthcare, etc

February 27, 2017 at 7:18 pm

It’s insane how much some of these traffic violations cost. A seatbelt ticket is close to $300 now.

John Reply Report comment

February 27, 2017 at 8:56 pm

obey the law, no fines, no problems.

February 27, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Seat belt tickets are not close to $300.00. A seatbelt ticket in Iowa is $127.50. Also it doesn’t seem like the trooper are so short on troopers that they can go out and write almost 6,500 speeding tickets. I don’t want to here another thing about needing more troopers. We need more cops not troopers!

February 28, 2017 at 7:19 am

Didn’t you ever hear of speed traps? They set them up every weekend but people still break the law and speed. They also find a lot of drugs transporting on the Interstates.

• Allen

Allen Reply Report comment

February 28, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Iowa Highway Patrol Salaries

What is the average Highway Patrol salary for Iowa?

How much does a Highway Patrol make in Iowa? Iowa Highway Patrol salaries vary greatly from town to town. See below for Highway Patrol salaries, bonus and benefits information for 13 cities in the Iowa area.

Highway Patrol’s Annual Base Salary