DES MOINES – Iowans are encouraged to participate in the Healthiest State Initiative’s 4th annual Healthiest State Initiative 1K Walk on Wednesday, October 8, 2014. The 1K (.62 mile) walk encourages participants to take another step towards a healthier, more active lifestyle.
Governor Branstad will lead the State Capitol Healthiest State Initiative 1K Walk on Wednesday, October 8, 2014, at noon at the Capitol in Des Moines.
There are at least 14 walks being held in Mason City on Wednesday, and others throughout the North Iowa area as a part of this event.
“Since launching the Healthiest State Initiative in 2011, Lieutenant Governor Reynolds and I are proud of the progress Iowa has made in moving from 19th to 10th in the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index,” said Branstad. “We’re committed to continuing our efforts to encourage Iowans to live an active, healthy lifestyle that will reduce their risk of chronic and preventable medical ailments.”
The Healthiest State Initiative 1K Walk has continued to grow since its inception in 2011. Last year, 300,000 Iowans participated in the walk across Iowa. This year’s walk continues to see strong support from public and private organizations.
· The Iowa National Guard is mobilizing its troops to lead families and residents in 1K walks at 52 armories across the state.
· The Iowa Department of Public Health and County Health officials will be leading walks throughout Iowa.
· Many Hy-Vee and Fareway stores will be hosting walks again this year.
· Schools around the state are gathering students to walk as part of the National Walk to School Day.
· Delta Dental of Iowa is returning as the sponsor of the 2014 Healthiest State Walk.
“Through the Healthiest State Initiative, Iowans are taking ownership of their well-being and making healthy decisions,” said Reynolds. “Governor Branstad and I encourage Iowans to join us on Wednesday at the Capitol for the walk, or join or start a walk in their community.”
To find a walk to participate in, visit this website.