Breakthrough Web Design - 641-201-1459 - Build Your Online Presence
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
• Founded 2010

This news story was published on November 15, 2015.

Dan Kimmel

Dan Kimmel

BURNSVILLE, MINNESOTA – A Democratic candidate for the Minnesota House defended the murderous, terrorist group known as ISIS and then realized he made perhaps the dumbest mistake of his life, leading to him quitting his campaign.

Dan Kimmel of Burnsville, Minnesota wrote on his Twitter account Saturday that “ISIS isn’t necessarily evil.  It is made up of people doing what they think is best for their community. Violence is not the answer, though.”

As a an avalanche of backlash surged, Kimmel on Sunday tried to talk his way around his tweet and quit his campaign.  The following is his response.

—-

Evil

My tweet last evening was in response to a statement made during the candidate debates, not in response to the activities in Paris. It was poorly worded and did not convey my intent.

I do think the attacks in Paris yesterday, along with other ISIS terrorist actions, are cowardly and despicable. My heart breaks for the people of France, of Paris, the families of those wounded or killed and the casualties themselves. My thoughts are with them. I condemn the attacks, as I condemn all violence.

Dan Kimmel now-deleted tweet

Dan Kimmel’s now-deleted tweet

I am folding up my campaign tent. The campaign website and Facebook page will be down by this afternoon.

I apologize to the volunteers and contributors who have put so much time, effort and money into my campaign.

I am very sorry for “spreading ick” on other candidates and the DFL party. I will do everything I can to help resolve the issue: most likely the best thing for me to do is shut up. The tweet was stupid. I’m sorry.

14 Responses to Democrat says “ISIS isn’t necessarily evil” then quits race for Minnesota legislature

XB70 Reply Report comment

November 17, 2015 at 4:17 pm

One has to wonder why the last Israeli owned business left the Trade Towers two days before they were attacked. Do they know something beforehand? A week before that W. Bush had declared the U.S. support for a Palestinian State. I’m not sure your choice of words for “always had our back rings true.”

November 17, 2015 at 9:14 am

Ever notice how many of them own/manage gas stations – just saying a tanker of gas makes one hell of a bang?

John Reply Report comment

November 16, 2015 at 5:58 pm

It is not that hard to figure out, a list just came out with all the Somali men that have left Minnesota. (Presumingly to fight for ISIS.) When are they coming back? Who knows, but there is a huge Somali community in Minneapolis and a lot of them do work at the airport. That to me is a big red flag.

Ban Islam Reply Report comment

November 16, 2015 at 10:53 am

Islam needs to be phased out of subsequent generations. I feel for the children refugees, but as soon as they come of age their cultural heritage is inflicted on them. Islam is so barbaric and so dangerous that a cultural ethnic cleansing must occur. Internment areas can be developed surrounded by UN police and re-education camps. As much as Nativd Americans may resent reeducation, ask thdm if theyd like to return to huts and teepees. Most would elect to keep their cable tv and casino money. Islam must be extinguished.

Just wondering...... Reply Report comment

November 16, 2015 at 9:00 am

Reminds me of those stating the refugees should enter our country. After all we are a compasionate people. NOW after Paris, I hear maybe we should rethink our position on this. NO Shxx. It’s a good thing this didn’t happen here before we heard those words. Some people just don’t get it. It has to happen to THEM before they realize that these refugees, mostly able bodied men should not enter this country, unvetted. Lets house and feed them OVER THERE. Not here. Oh, it’s just a matter of time we will have timed blasts here, and with this Administration….God help us all. Amen!!

LVS Reply Report comment

November 16, 2015 at 9:17 am

It will happen here. Possibly in Minneapolis. Then watch the liberals scream for help.

Just wondering...... Reply Report comment

November 16, 2015 at 9:58 am

LVS, you know it. Years ago I sat in the MPLS airport waiting for a friend and I was taken back by all the ‘foreigners’ arriving and quietly going out of the airport. Everytime I frequent cities around MPLS they are everywhere. Yes our local MPLS is an arriving point and they are gathering within miles of it. Someday we are going to awaken to the first explosion and many after. It will start in our Midwest. Thanks Obama, you are giving us change alright. Anyone happy with this situation, maybe ought to get their head out of the smoke. Just saying……

Bodacious Reply Report comment

November 16, 2015 at 11:28 am

I have been in the MSP airport many, many times as well as JFK in New York, LaGuardia, O’Hare, etc. Each time I go to an airport, I see many nationalities there. I don’t know if they are Americans or foreigners-now or 20 years ago. That is what happens in airports. People fly in. People fly out. I wonder how you can tell who are ‘foreigners” and who aren’t? Have you ever heard of Timothy McVeigh? I suppose you could have determined his intent by just looking at him even though he looked like most of us. I can see your point in the first post but I am confused what you mean by ‘over there’? I also question your ‘fact’ that most of the refugees are able-bodied men. This “the sky is falling” mentality is exactly what terrorists want. Terrorism is much more effective when the people being terrorized are frightened. Then, they don’t act rationally nor do they act prudently. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t condone terrorism and I agree 100% with France’s reaction to the attacks. Bombing ISIS bases in Syria was the correct and expedient response. But, to condemn all foreigners because you are afraid is inane and childish. We are not isolationists.

LVS

November 16, 2015 at 2:43 pm

@Bodacious-You are wrong and I certainly hope you are not in Minneapolis when the crap hits the fan. You will change your opinion in a hurry then. But, it will be to late. Why should we let potential killers into our community?

Just wondering......

November 16, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Why is it a crisis must happen here before we see the light? More and more States are speaking up, they do not want the refugees. I hope Iowa sticks to their guns and they don’t come in here. I think if they do enter the US, they should park themselves in the White House. No one welcomes them more.
            LVS, you are a wise man.

Bodacious

November 16, 2015 at 10:11 pm

@LVS You can say this without a sarcastic smile? A few weeks ago you were saying BS to Black Lives Matter because All Lives Matter. But now, all lives don’t matter. I think you meant White Lives Matter Most

LVS

November 17, 2015 at 9:20 am

@Bodacious-If you really want to help someone start with the 50,000 homeless vets that have earned the support. Or, you could start with the Christians who been persecuted for years by these Muslim Savages. They are the ones that need the help the most and they won’t try to kill you when they get here.

Anonymous

November 17, 2015 at 9:37 am

That whosoever would not seek the Lord God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.

Just wondering......

November 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Israel has always been our friend and we’ve had their back……till this Administration, that is. How could so many have the wool pulled over their eyes and many still don’t see.