Sports Betting Online Betway

Iowa DOT: No driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants granted deferred action

This news story was published on December 27, 2012.

AMES, Iowa – Dec. 27, 2012 – The Iowa Department of Transportation has determined it will not issue driver’s licenses or nonoperator identification (ID) cards to persons granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, based on guidelines described by the U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security’s memorandum issued June 15, 2012.

The Iowa DOT understands the exercising of this prosecutorial discretion by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security does not grant lawful status or a lawful immigration path to persons granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status. Rather, it is prosecutorial discretion extended in a blanket fashion to persons who are not lawfully authorized to be present in the United States.

Under Iowa Code §§321.182,321.190 and 321.196, a driver’s license or nonoperator ID card shall only be issued to a foreign national authorized to be present in the United States. Therefore, the Iowa DOT does not have the legal authority under current Iowa law to issue a driver’s license or nonoperator ID card to a person granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status (indicated on Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document,category C33).

13 Responses to Iowa DOT: No driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants granted deferred action

Uncle Buck Reply Report comment

January 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm

In a lot of large cities traffic courts are now scheduled by when the Spanish interpreter is available .most of the time first thing in the morning. Guess who gets to wait in court while that is going on? Isn’t prostituting yourself for votes a wonderful art, thanks to social take it up the wazoo ism.

maybe Reply Report comment

January 30, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Illegals come to our country to work. Some buy fake SS numbers or ID’s. They find work then taxes are taken out of their pay and paid into the fake SS number. I was told a couple years ago that the amount paid into these accounts are in the billions, that nobody will get.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 30, 2013 at 2:12 pm

@maybe-I could be wrong here but I have always understood that when they pay into a S.S. fund it all goes into the general pool and is shared by anyone who is on S.S.. It is one of the reasons S.S. is in trouble. People that have lived longer than planned have been drawing on the pool until it is drying up. I don’t know about now, but I do know they used to get hold of a S.S. number and 10 to 15 people would all use that number. I think the government has found a way to monitor that now.

maybe Reply Report comment

January 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm

You might be right there, when I was told this last year I questioned it but it all sounded good. I forgot all about that till I read the posting earlier and it wasn’t till after I replied that I remembered questioning it but I had to leave. You have to admit that if it was true it would answer alot of questions, instead it creates more.

jane Reply Report comment

January 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Dont be ignorants. We should all be grateful for having ppl who want to come to this country. Do you know how much legal and illegal immigrants contribute to the economy? What is the whole purpose of going to work if they wont be able to drive? Give them a break! WE ALL come from immigrants!

LVS Reply Report comment

December 28, 2012 at 8:37 am

@John-Of course Minnesota issues drivers licenses to illegals. They are one of the most liberal states in the country and certainly in the midwest. part of it is due to their miniorty population and also the amount of (truck farming) that requires hand work. They bring in migrants to do that labor and they really don’t care if the are legal or not because they work cheap. Austin has a lot of minority’s now because of the packing house there. I had a relative who worked there and he told me that a good share of the Hispanics that work there are illegal. The Terrorist look a lot like a Hispanic so it is ideal for them to go to Minnesota. It is also the reason their taxes are higher than ours. Now this should start a interesting discussion.

Allen Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 1:31 pm

The Iowa DOT doesn’t have the authority to issue a DL or ID to illegals, but guess what, the Federal Government does. Along with issuing them a DL, the Government should make sure the illegals have auto insurance.

December 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Make SURE they have no insurance? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

December 27, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I should go have my eyes checked.

Katie Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

LOL I might be your brain instead of your eyes. My brain plays those kinds of tricks on me once in a while.

LVS Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 9:24 am

And this is the way it should be. If they are not legal they should not be given a license to drive. They should be deported to where they came from. Why should we continue to finance illegals?

John Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 10:09 pm

The state of Minnesota has been issuing drivers licences to illegals for years.

The 911 attackers were able to find many ways to get drivers licences and other forms of ID.

amy Reply Report comment

January 30, 2013 at 10:53 am

john and lvs, do you jave any proof that Minnesota issues Drivers liscenses to illegals?? i can not immagine liberal or not that our state would give illegal bastards the right to drive. they should be deported because they are ILLEGAL! not given special accomodations.