by Jody Spear and Kelly Meyer –
MASON CITY – A large branch falling on a power line around midnight had the already busy Mason City Fire Department dispatched to 616 South President, due to sparks causing a fire in the house.
Katie and Mark, renters of the house, were coming home early Wednesday morning to inspect the damage and to see what could be done to get it cleaned up. The Red Cross was able to provide a place for Katie, Mark, two of their sons and Katie’s mother for the night. “The baby stayed at his other grandma’s house,” said Katie.
“I was on the phone with Alliant, when my two oldest boys said they saw sparks,” said Katie. “We had lost electricity, and I didn’t know at the time that there was a fire. I hung up and called 911. Luckily we are close to the Fire Station, the fire fighters were here in a minute. We didn’t have much smoke damage inside. Most of the damage was outside. The branch fell on the trunk of my car, they had to take the new siding off the building to get to the fire and I’m not sure how much damage is done to the deck.” The deck was fully covered by the branch.
“We don’t know for sure if the sparks came from the electrical wires or the dish we have on the roof ,” said Mark, while checking out the area for other damage.
You can see in the picture, below, where the power line burnt through a wire fence.
Subscribers, watch video: