Press release from Northwood Mayor Randy Severson regarding harassment charges

This news story was published on September 5, 2012.

NOTE: Randy L. Severson was charged with 3rd degree harassment on August 30, 2012 after an August 13, 2012 incident.  Severson is the Mayor of Northwood, Iowa.

——

From Joel Yunek, attorney for Randy Severson of Northwood –

I am a single man. I suffer from effects of a mild traumatic brain injury I sustained in a serious accident in November of 2002. One consequence of that injury is that I am very trusting.

In January of 2012, I began to date Sarah Rollins from Mankato. I believed we were developing a long-term relationship, but I was misled. By that time, I had advanced money to her for rent, gas and even a car.

In August, my friends uncovered the deception. This did upset me and I texted Sarah asking for answers. I regret those texts and the entire matter.

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
515-897-1144
or go to
BreakthoughWebDesign.com

41 Responses to Press release from Northwood Mayor Randy Severson regarding harassment charges

1. kari ann Reply Report comment

February 13, 2021 at 3:20 am

she is very toxic and has done this a few times to guys!she even got caught stealing from Mankato Walmart My Boss said.

2. Randy knows who I am Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Maybe people should ask randy and investigate a form of rape that he tried to pull on my sister that was half his age. 2005 was a bad year for him, i see 2013 will be even worse.

3. dominic orrie Reply Report comment

March 16, 2013 at 1:02 pm

It is funny how so many people have all these comments about sarah and dont even know her. why dont people get their facts straight before they spread stupid rumors.

4. curious Reply Report comment

September 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm

This is the typical girl batting her eyes and saying “whoa is me”. He didn’t physically harm her just text to get some answers. All she had to do was tell him the truth and it would have been over.Breakups happen all the time and it’s only in the paper because he’s the mayor.

5. truss me Reply Report comment

September 10, 2012 at 3:05 am

former mayor bob perry, former police chief leo dorsey, fired policeman jerry olson (sheriff olsen? palease!), former city clerk donna tyrell, city attorney jon greif, and councilman jane bloomindoom all proped up randy sever to win election to be mayor so thay could take advantage of his mental disbility to trusting. randy is a great gy but has ben used for underhaned dealings the tx payer don’t even no about..but be mad about So much for trust. Northwood need to elect some people not foxs in a henhouse. like today. seems nobody has the brave enough to do what right to set city straight.Gess it was tried before but failed for some reson. randys getting tricked by girl is nothing compared to what city ben doing all along. for years .more deception !

• Fed up also Reply Report comment

September 12, 2012 at 2:11 pm

truss me..doesn’t sound like you’re smart enough to even be a “paper boy”. But that’s ok the wife will continue to support you. Someone needs to stay home to do the “harvest”. Careful, your mental condition is starting to show!

6. curious Reply Report comment

September 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Why doesn’t she give her side of the car story so it can be straightened out?

7. umm Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Sounds like Extortion to me. That would put the gal where she belongs.

September 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Wow!! The imaginations of some people..lmao

8. umm Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 4:15 pm

the Severson’s must love buying cars. Sarah gets a car, than Mark(brother) gets a new car,than Marilyn(mom) get a new car and than Hailee(daughter) gets a new car. Whose next?

• Mark Severson Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I got a truck not a car. You want a ride in it. Its pretty nice.

• curious Reply Report comment

September 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

What does the Seversons having new cars have to do with anything?

9. Proven Track Record Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I wish someone would ask about her relationship with Mr. Dobney, another ex-cop. Where another wonderful trusting woman just like the mayor got scammed by the both of them.

10. Power from Above Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 12:52 am

You know this gentlemen had a neck break where he should have been dead instantly, he had pneumonia twice with 105 degree fevers, had multiple blood clots to the lungs. Oviously God didn’t think he was a bad man!!

• Trauma is NOT an excuse! Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 1:17 am

It has been said before that Trauma is NOT an excuse to harass somebody. So what, he had some trauma, that does not give him the right to not take NO as an answer! Moral decisions have to be made all the time and if he is unable to distinguish between right and wrong because of some trauma then maybe he needs somebody to look after him, not him running a city. If he is mentally unstable he needs to do the right thing and step down. He should not be running a city.

11. Randy's a JERK Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 11:41 pm

He is a jerk, he’s always been a jerk and he will continue to be a jerk. I have dealt with him in business, as a citizen when he was on the city council, and now that he is mayor. He is no better in any of those endeavors. He doesn’t help the citizens if they need help. He may help his small group of select friends that seem to post here but he has screwed over many in this town while on the CC or as Mayor. Also, he sells CRAP. Have you ever seen a straight board come from the lumber yard? Unfortunately in my business I have to deal with him. I try very hard not to. Now, if his “trauma” is such a problem, he should NOT be running my city. “Trauma” is not an excuse! It is something to over come. He is no victim. He’s a jerk and always tries to make everything work in his favor. Yes, his accident was a terrible thing but it is not an excuse and it didn’t change him in anyway. He only looks out for #1 and does it in such a sly way that he makes you think that he is helping you. I think he should step down. He has made too many mistakes and made too many threats. I don’t know Sara from Adam so she may be a money grubbing bitch, I don’t know, but that still doesn’t give a man the right to harass somebody! There are ways to do that with out harassing somebody. She said to stop, he should have gone the high road and he didn’t. He makes me sick.

• Mark Severson Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm

If you need a straight board see me or Brian. We pick through all the boards till we find the best one. We do that for everybody, whether our loyal customers, good people of Northwood, and even assholes like you.

• anonymous Reply Report comment

September 9, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Hey Mark when I do have a problem with the lumber yard I guess its okay to call and harrass you maybe stalk you and your family. Please post this new policy so we can all enjoy it not just Randy.

• just me Reply Report comment

September 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm

All I can say is the every member of the Severson family has treated me fair and respectful even when sometimes I might not have deserved it. Every person gets a little angry was you loan someone money and they don’t pay you back, if a couple of e-mails is the worst thing someone does in trying to get things straight, I say that person is acting with some restraint.

12. IMAJEM Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Randy spent 100 days in intensive care after breaking his neck in an accident that should not have happened. He was driving to Northwood from Grafton in the morning to go to work. He drove over a bridge or culvert that had been marked with construction signs that had been removed by some juvenile delinquents in the middle of the night. As a result he broke his neck and wracked his entire body.

During his recovery Randy was blessed with all kinds of community support and overwhelming good wishes. These caring people gave him the will to live and helped him to recover. Randy repaid those people by committing to his church, his community and his family. He learned to trust people. Unfortunately some people take advantage of his kind heart and the trust he found in people during his recovery from that unnecessary accident.

To all the people who are posting on this story: please find kindness in your hearts. All people make mistakes, but Randy admits he was in error in this instance, so let him be. He is a good trusting man who doesn’t deserve the anger and cruelty that is posted on these blogs. Let him be!

13. another anonymous Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 10:49 pm

How many of you bloggers even know Severson? I would stake a large amount of $ on the fact that you are just blogging to be blogging without knowing anyone involved or any of the circumstances. Just zip it unless you know facts. I don’t know him or any of the circumstancs & am not going to pass judgment without facts. Maybe everyone should do the same.

14. former resident Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I lived in Northwood most of my life and although I don’t live there anymore I do know Randy very well. I knew him before and after his accident. He is a stand up man and whenever there is someone in the public eye and they may say or text something in the heat of the moment, there is someone who will take the opportunity to make them out to be a monster. Look at what happend to their cheif of police.

15. 50 miles south Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

im not familliar with this guy, but I have been in the same situation with a town whore. at that time from Grundy center, now iowa falls. with the same first name of Sara. This C took me for money rent food ect. all just playing games with many guys minds. Like I said I dont know this mayor but I have been in the same circumstance. causeing me to be put on depression meds. Its not a joke and you shouldnt judge someone if this is actually true. head injury or not.

• armchair captain Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm

When are guys going to understand the stripper is not winking at them in sniffers row because they want to date them.

February 14, 2021 at 7:16 am

Um, why would you give her money? Obviously expecting something in return. Its the f***ing you get for the f***ing you got.

16. TheRealFred Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Oh boo hoo, I’m a victim. Waaaaaaaaaaa

• Truth Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 12:25 am

You know who a victim here is the gals poor son, this poor kid was left alone time after time, while the mom was womanizing. Sometimes all night. And watch different men come in and out. Hes a victim!!

• Sad Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 12:29 am

The real victim here is the poor son, he was left alone time after time sometimes all night. While the mother was out womanizing. Having to watch different guys come and go all the time. Here is a victim! Where is DHS when a kid needs them!

• TheRealFred Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

The mom was out womanizing?

• Sad Reply Report comment

September 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm

The one time the boy was standing outside at apartment at 2.30 in the morning. Someone stopped to see what was going on and called the mother she was in Mankato partying. Tell me thats right!!

• Kari Ann Reply Report comment

February 13, 2021 at 3:26 am

sarah holmes now. Does not care about her kids its been seen and proven

17. Real facts Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm

You didn’t have the brain injury when you were married to your first wife but she filed harrassmemt charges too, same situation. What’s your excuse then? Try again.

• haha Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I believe the first wife was sleeping around with anything that could walk out at the country club in northwood.

• Real facts Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm

You’re right, that makes harrassmemt okay. I’m saying everyone knew this excuse was coming, yet he can run a company, city, and church. Yep, okay.

18. umm Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm

wow. you look like a fool! blaming your accident on the way you treat people. pathetic.

• get facts right Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 6:39 pm

It isn’t blaming when even the doctors have said that he has brain injury that would cause problems like this.

19. wth? Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

and this guys is Northwood’s mayor? crazy I’d say!

20. sad but true Reply Report comment

September 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

That Yunek is slyer than a bunk house rat!!