Op-ed: Tornquist the dictator (by Peter Children)

This news story was published on January 15, 2012.

Saturday’s article by John Skipper in the Globe had under tones that beguiled the true feelings of the landfill board…at least as it appeared to me. It gave the feeling that everything was alright, that the board instructed the attorneys to draft a contract that would be summarily signed.

It down played Tornquist’s dictatorial demeanor, his declaration that this issue needed resolving within two weeks and not several months. And the threat if this were to not happen….well though unspoken , the consequence was strongly implied that we’d lose out, that this company with the sterling reputation throughout the state, even though they have no operating systems anywhere in the entire country, let alone this state……would leave.  I wonder if that were a threat or a promise?

The last I heard from my sources deep inside City Hall, the city is only a participating member of the North Iowa Landfill and nothing more.  My advice to both Tornquist and his boss, Mr. Six-pack, is to never underestimate anyone wearing a seed corn cap, not in Iowa.

It has just come to my attention that given the structure of the weighted votes in the landfill, and the effect they could have on the outcome of this issue, I want to warn those voting of the aftermath that could certainly occur after you vote.

It is recognized that more people here want to wait until the possible health issues are resolved than are those who want to rush blindly into that dark night and throw caution to the wind and go forward without necessary testing.  I seriously doubt that anyone living here is totally against this facility opening, they are only asking for time to affirm the outcome that would assure no hazards to the population.

If I were a person whose vote could decided the outcome, like lets say a Cerro Gordo Country Supervisor, and I went against the majority, come election time I could bend over, grab my ankles and kiss my $127.00 a day job goodby…..just a thought.

There are nationwide campaigns across the country focusing on bulling in the schools, Tornquist should realize that this conduct is also applicable on landfill boards as well.

Peter Children

14 Responses to Op-ed: Tornquist the dictator (by Peter Children)

Larry Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 9:31 am

To Hmmmmmm: If you don’t like it don’t read it dummy.

ralph Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 9:00 am

To Hummm

Of the 13 responses on this article, 11 of them agree with what Mr. Children wrote. How do you explanin that Scott?

Hmmmm Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 8:31 am

It’s Monday…have to wait till Tuesday to see if I can open up this site without having to put up with another Peter Children letter..

Maybe I’ll get two days free of his crap this week…

Hmmmm Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 8:29 am

“The last I heard from my sources deep inside City Hall..”

Can we just rename this website,

The foolish, sensationalism ramblings of the attention addicted Peter Children?

teacher Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 7:13 am

By reading the nature of opinions on this blogg, I think it would be safe to say people do not like Turnquist, and people want to wait until the health questions are satisified. I have little doubt that the Landfill members will do the right thing after all this is not the M.C. Council, these are real people who think for themselves.

January 16, 2012 at 6:46 am

Why do you think Tornquist has bounced thru so many jobs. Some say fired from but don’t know that for sure. Kraft, Point builders, Mechanical Air. Arrogance doesn’t fit in today’s work place.

January 16, 2012 at 6:28 am

will bet the weasel is behind bringing back the Micro Enterprise issue. Let the spending begin.

Wild Bill Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 1:04 am

“Mr. Six-Pack!” LOLOLOLZZZ

JohnP Reply Report comment

January 15, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I see what’s his punk’s name has shut up through this. Even the little creep can’t disagree with the outrageous arrogance by one stupid man named Tornquist. I hope to God these guys stand strong and tough as they are on any given day and not let this weasel get away with any of it. Funny and he claims he is so religious. They usually do. Funny how they all fit the profile of every last politcal figure who got caught doing bad deeds. Funny. Keep digging.

Brendon Reply Report comment

January 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Scott reminds me of the kid in school who the popular guys used to do their dirty work for them. The lackey that did what the cool guys said so they would like him. Unfortunately he does not appear to have a clue. Let the other council members weigh in on the discourse so Scott is not blamed for everything and lose his next election. It should be a group project for our leaders.

randy Reply Report comment

January 15, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Can you imagine being the “new guy” at the landfill meeting and come barreling in and trying to ride roughshod over everybody? I mean who does that?

Patriot Reply Report comment

January 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm

A self important idiot. Lets see, he wasn’t even seated on the council and starts throwing his wieght around, first LNI meeting, starts throwing his wieght around. A real important person in his mind regular people see him for what he really is.

Watchdog Reply Report comment

January 15, 2012 at 6:36 pm

A bully acts like that. Tornquist’s past behavior bears this out.

Bully is a good moniker for him.

I can only imagine his parenting skills!

Patriot Reply Report comment

January 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm

This may well indeed backfire on Tornquist, being the new member and at his first meeting coming off as Hitler will not win him many points with the resto of the board.

The LNI board will be working together for quite some time and if I were members with far more time on the board then Tornquist, I’d pretty much ignore anything he brings forward or at least look at it through a magnifying glass.

I hope they look at what has been put infront of them very carefully. They are part of the system of checks and balances and do not deserve to be pressured into anything they don’t feel comfortable with.