This news story was published on January 14, 2019.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Iowa’s 4th District Congressman, Steve King, is enduring a hailstorm of consequences after his alleged racist views were exposed in a recent New York Times article, as leading lawmakers strip him of assignments and level stern criticism.

Reportedly, Steve King was told by Republican leadership in the House of Representatives he will not be allowed to serve on subcommittees in the wake of the Times story, in which King used words like White Nationalist, White Supremacist, and Western Civilization. This comes as an Illinois Representatives seeks a vote to censure King. National and local news media have King front and center as top political figures denounce King, with some saying he needs to resign.

King hit back Monday, though, with a statement of his own, seeking to clarify remarks he made to a New York Times reporter that were the basis of a story that has brought on the firestorm he now seeks to weather:

Steve King
(CNN photo)

“Leader McCarthy’s decision to remove me from committees is a political decision that ignores the truth.The truth is as follows:

One of my quotes in a New York Times story has been completely mischaracterized. Here’s the context I believe accurately reflects my statement.

In a 56 minute interview, we discussed the changing use of language in political discourse. We discussed the worn out label “racist” and my observation that other slanderous labels have been increasingly assigned to Conservatives by the Left, who injected into our current political dialog such terms as Nazi, Fascist, ‘White Nationalist, White Supremacist, Western Civilization, how did THAT language become offensive? Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?’…just to watch Western Civilization become a derogatory term in political discourse today. Clearly, I was only referencing Western Civilization classes. No one ever sat in a class listening to the merits of white nationalism and white supremacy.

When I used the word ‘THAT’ it was in reference ONLY to Western Civilization and NOT to any previously stated evil ideology ALL of which I have denounced. My record as a vocal advocate for Western Civilization is nearly as full as my record in defense of Freedom of Speech.

Ultimately, I told him ‘You have to do what you have to do and I will do what I have to do.’ I will continue to point out the truth and work with all the vigor that I have to represent 4th District Iowans for at least the next two years.”

29 Responses to Iowa Congressman Steve King booted from committees, claims his alleged racist quotes to New York Times “completely mischaracterized”

January 17, 2019 at 1:05 pm

I am going out and see if I can find a VOTE FOR KING HOODIE !

January 17, 2019 at 1:19 pm

You really should join DA…
      Dumbasses Anonymous

January 17, 2019 at 10:25 am

Being a constitutional body of powers is it yet legal for non whites to give up their American citizenship and return to their country of origin – say Kenya -china – mexico – south America -or as Babbbbra Striesland would say : I moving to Canada if Trump wins !

January 16, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Can’t wait to vote for him again!

January 17, 2019 at 9:31 am

You are proof positive and the poster boy that “IOWA” is the acronym standing for Idiots Out Wandering Around.

January 19, 2019 at 9:06 pm

I love liberals habitually writing off their political opponents as idiots. The von Oben attitude – and from individuals who in actuality is anything BUT Oben 🙂 – really drives voter turnout and insures the future of politicians like representative King.

January 16, 2019 at 7:19 pm

This wouldn’t have happened if we had voted for George Wallace in 1968.

January 16, 2019 at 8:24 pm

You know George Wallace was a register Democrat

January 16, 2019 at 6:44 pm

This is all bullshit.

January 16, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I want to see or hear the interview. I think this is outrageous how he is being condemned over one reporter alleged words. Steve King do NOT resign.

January 16, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Alleged? They used Mr. King’s own words. They were not made up, paraphrased, nor fabricated. It was a quote.

January 16, 2019 at 11:50 am

KKKing is just another distraction. Republicans in congress haven’t changed their own racist/bigoted views — anyone who supports the racist-in-chief-trump is a racist. One cannot support a racist and then claim to not be racist.

January 16, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Man o man where do I start here is the history the kkk was started by Democrat party, president wilson a Democrat showed the movie birth of a nation a very racist film in the white house, the southern Democrats try the block all civil rights bills from the 1860s through the 1960s, for a Democrat put us Japanese Americanstyle in intermittent camps during ww2 Bull Turner, George Wallace all Democratset and most of the cops of the 1950s and 1960s beat up blacks and minorities, the Republican on the other hand President Lincoln got rid of slavery with help of Republican against Democrats who still wanted it the first black congressmen were black and Republicans Republicans past law after law to help slaves and after Lincoln was shot president Johnson a Democrat try get rid of all of them, thats why i can not understand why any black person would ever be a democrat with their history of racism Republicans need to go back and start acting and behaving like the party of Lincoln. and the first step is get rid of Steve king.

January 16, 2019 at 11:00 pm

I can’t believe anyone wants to be in a party that you claim as your own. Your own crazy view of history is warped because you don’t read anything but the headlines. The 2 parties from 1800s to 1950s have pretty much switched names. But it really shouldn’t matter because 50-200 years ago, we were a different society with different values. Most of us have evolved and tried to learn from our mistakes.

January 17, 2019 at 6:20 am

The chances are real good, if you use the word ‘racist’ as much as you do, you’re an idiot of the blithering variety.

January 17, 2019 at 10:12 am

nuff said

GOP Rep. Steve King defended his association with a Nazi-linked group in Austria.
        “If they were in America pushing the platform that they push, they would be Republicans,” – Steve King

January 16, 2019 at 10:32 am

How about the last 16 years worth of hateful, racist, misogynist BS? Were all of those mischaracterizations, too?

Expel King Reply Report comment

January 16, 2019 at 12:07 am

Expel Steve King from Congress

January 15, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Your only a bigot if your WHITEY !

January 15, 2019 at 4:29 pm

I like Mr. Kings assessment of the TRUTH ! Demorats hide their bigotry as it help them win votes from the kool aid drinkers . Screw the aclu/black lives matter/and any other Anti American POS party. Oh yea remember LA RAZA. Who was the kingpin – el cappo ?

Allen Reply Report comment

January 15, 2019 at 10:26 am

Damn, never would I have thought that when I sat in 8th grade western civilization class, it would turn out to be BS, racist, politically incorrect, or whatever they want to call it. Was my 14 years of education all a lie. The New York Times is left center, how else would they spin it. The truth is out there, but who can you really believe anymore???

January 15, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Lemming

anonymous Reply Report comment

January 15, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Spin it Allen? Those are King’s own words. He said them. He also voted to reprimand himself when it was brought to a vote in the House.

Observer the Original Reply Report comment

January 16, 2019 at 3:51 am

I agree, when the NYT used King’s own words, there was no need to “spin” it, the intent of those words were already apparent.

Accept the consequences for your words Mr. King.

January 16, 2019 at 9:24 am

WOW Allen, sticking up for a white supremacists says a lot about you.

Allen Reply Report comment

January 16, 2019 at 12:51 pm

WOW! anonymous, where in my comment does it say that, I AM, sticking up for anyone? PLEASE, be careful what you say, my skin is so thin, any word that you might utter, will hurt my feelings.

January 16, 2019 at 6:12 pm

You can’t say, “w**** s***********”, anymore, it’s not in the English language.

January 16, 2019 at 6:22 pm

It isn’t that he said white supremacy but it IS what he said about it.