AMES, Iowa – No. 21 Iowa State, fresh off a midweek open date, returns to action looking to end its first losing skid of the season, taking on West Virginia in Morgantown. The Cyclones will be back in action for the first time since last Saturday at Hilton Coliseum, when ISU fell 76-70 to Baylor.
- In defeat, Iowa State was led by a career-best day from Nyamer Diew, who finished with 25 points on 10-of-13 shooting, including making three 3-pointers.
- Diew has been Iowa State’s third-leading scorer in the Cyclones nine games since Stephanie Soares was knocked out for the season, averaging 9.7 points and 5.0 rebounds across the stretch.
- Ashley Joens recorded 23 points against Baylor, an effort which included a 13-point first quarter.
- Joens added to her award list collection this past week by being named to the Jersey Mike’s Naismith Trophy Midseason Team. Joens is the Big 12’s leading scorer at 20.1 points per game, and averages 9.1 rebounds per game, boasting nine double-doubles on the season.
- Emily Ryan dished out a season-high 12 assists against Baylor, while also grabbing eight rebounds. Ryan is second in the Big 12 and seventh nationally with her 7.1 assists per game. She is also one of the country’s top free throw shooters, going 92.5 percent from the line to rank fourth.
- Ryan leads ISU at the charity stripe, with the Cyclones sitting fourth nationally at 79.8 percent as a team. In addition to Ryan’s effort, Lexi Donarski is at 90.9 percent, while Joens makes 82.1 percent for her free throws.
- With a win on Saturday, head coach Bill Fennelly would become the 27th coach in NCAA Women’s Basketball history to reach 750 career wins, the 13th to get all 750 at Division I programs and would be one of nine active coaches at 750 victories.
Who: No. 21 Iowa State (15-6, 7-4 Big 12) at West Virginia (14-8, 5-6 Big 12)
Where: WVU Coliseum – Morgantown, West Virginia
When: Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023 – 5 p.m. Central
WATCH: Big 12 Now
PxP: Eric Little
LISTEN: Cyclone Radio Network – Varsity App or Radio Affiliates
PxP: Noah Wolf Analyst: Jamie Steyer Johnson