NorthIowaToday.com

Founded in 2010

News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Iowa’s prison population as it relates to the overall Iowa population

*Some interesting notes on Iowa’s prison population as it relates to the overall Iowa population:

– The U.S. Census estimate for Iowa was 3.0 million people as of July 1, 2009 (the most current estimates available). Men comprise 49.3% of the population. Approximately 92.7% of Iowa’s population is white. The composition of the remaining 7.3% is: 2.5% black, 0.3% American Indian or Alaska Native; 1.7% Asian; and 2.9% is of two or more races orunknown.

– The U.S. Department of Justice estimates there were 2.3 million offenders incarcerated in federal or State prisons and local jails on June 30, 2009 (the most recent data available). Men comprise 91.2% of the population. Approximately 39.4% of the 2.3 million offenders were black; 34.2% were white; 20.6% were Hispanic; and 5.8% were of other races or unknown.

– Iowa’s prison population was 8,603 offenders on June 30, 2010. Men comprised 91.8% ofthe population. According to the Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning Division (CJJPD) of the Department of Human Rights, the racial composition of the prison system was:71.7% white; 25.5% black; 1.0% Asian or Pacific Islander; and 1.8% American Indian or Alaska Native. Included in these racial groups were 6.8% that identified themselves as Hispanic (nearly all of these identified themselves racially as being white).

*EIGHTY-FOURTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
2011 REGULAR SESSION
DAILY
SENATE CLIP SHEET
FEBRUARY 9, 2011|

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Even more news:

Copyright 2024 – Internet Marketing Pros. of Iowa, Inc.
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x