Founded in 2010

News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Man arrested after firing gun in downtown Portland, Oregon as protesters square off

PORTLAND, OREGON – A man is facing charges for firing a gun in downtown Portland, Oregon as protesters square of in the beleaguered city.

On Sunday, August 22, 2021 at 5:47p.m., Central Precinct officers responded to a report of shots heard in the area of Southwest 2nd Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street. Officers learned of a suspect firing a gun, a description, and a direction of travel. Three minutes later they located the suspect at Southwest 3rd Avenue and Southwest Alder Street. He was arrested and a gun was seized as evidence (photo). Officers booked Dennis G. Anderson, 65, of Gresham, into the Multnomah County Detention Center on charges of Unlawful Possession of a Firearm and Unlawful Use of a Weapon.

No one reported injuries. There were numerous people in the area, including several people taking video and photographs. There are reports that witnesses may have removed evidence from the scene before police arrived.

Meanwhile, police reported that some individuals committed acts of violence and property destruction both in downtown Portland and in the Argay Terrace Neighborhood after some people physically challenged each other.

On Sunday, August 22, 2021 at 12:30p.m., demonstrators started gathering in the area of Salmon Street Springs in Tom McCall Waterfront Park downtown. As the crowd grew, Portland Police observed aggressive behavior toward others in the area. By about 2:30 p.m., several hundred people had gathered at the location.

By 1:30 p.m., a group of people had gathered in a parking lot at Northeast 122nd Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard. At about 4:00 p.m., a small number of people came together and committed acts of violence and destruction at the Northeast Portland location. People were lighting fireworks and dispersing chemical spray, as well as firing what appeared to be paintball and/or airsoft guns. Some property destruction was observed. Most of the involved individuals have left the area.

There were no immediate arrests, but detectives are reviewing evidence to determine whether charges can be brought for any criminal activity. As stated before today’s events, officers were not deployed to stand in between individuals intent on confronting one another. But that does not mean the crimes committed will not be addressed. Arrests do not always happen in the moment. As in past such events, we are conducting follow-up investigations, gathering evidence, and will make arrests when probable cause exists that specific persons committed crimes. Just because arrests are not made at the scene, when tensions are high, does not mean that people are not being charged with crimes later.

“While it’s disappointing that some people chose to engage violently, I am grateful for those who exercised their rights peacefully and without committing crimes,” said Chief Chuck Lovell. “I also thank the Portland Police personnel who came in to work today on their day off, and those who were responding to calls for service citywide.”

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Even more news:


Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
or go to

Copyright 2022 – Internet Marketing Pros. of Iowa, Inc.
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
%d bloggers like this: