MCPD asks for precautions

This news story was published on February 14, 2012.

From the Mason City Police Department:

The Mason City Police Department has observed an increasing number of pedestrians walking within their neighborhoods.  As a reminder to keep people safe while walking, we are asking people to follow a few guidelines.  If you are walking in the evening or night, please do not wear dark clothing.  Instead wear bright clothing that can easily be seen, or wear reflective items on your clothing that are easily seen.  It may also be good to carry a light.  Please try to use a sidewalk if possible.  If the sidewalk is not available, then walk as close to the curb as possible and against traffic.  Please try to avoid walking on a highway.  Contact with MCPD with any questions at 641-421-3636.

8 Responses to MCPD asks for precautions

Not in Mason City Reply Report comment

February 16, 2012 at 9:21 am

People, walking around in their neighborhoods? Only in fat-assed Mason City would this be amazing to the police.

Observer Reply Report comment

February 15, 2012 at 10:58 am

Remind me to wear my ANSI-III Hi-Viz next time I am out at night. Sorry, my choice of clothing is my own. And as a driver, it is up to me to be alert to people out and about. I choose the headlamps I want to accomplish that. The responsibility still remains with the driver! And by the looks of things, especially in the last snowfall, a lot of people don’t follow that requirement (would it hurt you young people to wipe your windows so you can really see?).

I don’t fear thugs, want-to-be gangsters, nor drugheads. I spent more than enough time in the shark infested waters, and not a whole lot will surprise me. And compared to that, Mason City is tame.

Bob Reply Report comment

February 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Why do we have more people walking around—are you talking hooligans or sports minded people? Little more info would be nice.

Politics Stink Reply Report comment

February 14, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Well duh!! People walking for excercise is the obvious. People walking at night with black clothing on. Duh again. Some people have to be told everything. Thank you MCPD, yes people have to be told or reminded it seems.

Howard Quarry Reply Report comment

February 14, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Prolly outta watch out for gangsters from Detroit too. U coold get shot.

February 15, 2012 at 12:29 am

Usually you can see their teeth and eyeballs at night though, kinda like walking into Alley Katz with the occasional burst of gunfire for lighting outside.

Law Abiding Citizen Reply Report comment

February 14, 2012 at 11:20 am

Good Job MCPD! You finally caught that bank robber and now you have noticed more people walking around town.

A Johnson Reply Report comment

February 14, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thank you mcpd for looking out for the public and being proactive!