AMES, Iowa ñ Sept.1, 2011 ñ Travel during the upcoming Labor Day holiday may be impacted by road construction, according to the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT). Several projects on Iowa’s interstate roadways may warrant advance planning on the part of drivers.
Listed below are the main Iowa DOT projects that may have traffic impacts over the Labor Day holiday. There are many more projects underway on state highways, county roads and city streets throughout Iowa. Details regarding all Iowa DOT construction projects can be found at www.511ia.org.
North central/Northeast Iowa
– U.S. 18 bridges located just east of Fredericksburg to the west side of West Union in Chickasaw and Fayette counties will be undergoing maintenance work. The contractor will be replacing the paved bridge approaches. One-lane traffic will be controlled by traffic signals and temporary concrete barrier rail.
– On northbound Iowa 58 in Cedar Falls, the outside lane will be closed using a combination of signs, channelizing devices and temporary concrete barrier rail while the permanent barrier rail is being replaced.
– On the U.S. 20 bridge over U.S. 63, work is underway to replace the existing barrier rail. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction. Traffic will be shifted using a combination of signs, channelizing devices and temporary concrete barrier rail. At the same time, similar work will exist on the eastbound off-ramp at the same location that will narrow the ramp width.
– At the intersection of U.S. 18 and U.S. 218 in the town of Floyd, the inside lane in each direction, as well as the median crossing, will be closed.
– – – – Southbound U.S. 218 traffic will be detoured beginning at the intersection of U.S. 218 and Iowa 9, where it will be diverted west 4 miles to Seventh Street in Osage, then south 11 miles on Mitchell County Road T-38 to U.S. 18. The detour will continue east on U.S. 18 approximately 4 miles to the intersection of U.S. 18 and U.S. 218 in Floyd where traffic can continue southbound on U.S. 218.
– – – – Eastbound U.S. 18 traffic wanting to go north on U.S. 218, should turn north at the intersection of U.S. 18 and Mitchell County Road T-38, then go north 11 miles to reconnect with U.S. 218 at the intersection of U.S. 218 and Iowa 9 in Osage.
– Due to a bridge replacement project on Iowa 14 at Phelps Creek, located approximately 0.75 mile south of Parkersburg, Iowa 14 will be closed and traffic detoured. Motorists will be detoured west on Butler County Road D-17, north on Butler County Road T-25, east on Iowa 57, and then to Iowa 14.
– A patching project will be underway on Interstate 35 from milepost 159 (Franklin County Road C-47 interchange) north to the Minnesota border. There may be one-lane closures on this stretch of I-35 over the Labor Day weekend.|