News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
• Founded 2010

Mediacom to cap internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle

This news story was published on August 17, 2013.

Mediacom is announcing to customers that it is capping internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle. According to a notice, any customer who uses above 250 gigabytes will be charged an additional fee.

Mediacom internet service is widely-used in the North Iowa area.

“Although these changes won’t affect the way about 98% of our customers use the Internet or how much the service costs, we want you to understand the changes and tell you how to see if they will affect you,” Mediacom stated.

The notice states that effective September 13, 2013, monthly data usage allowance will be 250 Gigabytes. The changes will only affect customers who use more than 250 GB during the monthly billing cycle. Customers who exceed the data limit will need to purchase 50 GB blocks of data at $10 per block.

Mediacom says its median monthly data usage is currently under 14 GB per month; it says it will contact customers as they approach or exceed the data limit.

“The amount of data you use is largely impacted by your online activities, not just the amount of time you spend online,” Mediacom said. “For example, you could spend hours on Facebook, checking e-mails, or surfing the web, and use less than 1 GB of data. On the other hand, you could spend 30 minutes downloading a movie and use 2 GB. Put simply, it’s what you do with the Internet that affects your usage, not the time you spend on it.”

Print Friendly

Leave your comment:

61 Responses to Mediacom to cap internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle

1. ammata Reply Report comment

March 31, 2016 at 10:07 am

I know that Centurylink doesn’t have any data caps but you’re not gonna get the speed or performance of cable modem. Still I think it would be worth it not having to worry about going over data limit.

June 7, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Centurylink does have data caps, google them, 250gb for speeds over 1.5mb.

2. Waterloo Reply Report comment

August 19, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Mediacom is the worst internet ever, horrible service, data cap, unexpected changes in contracts, dumbass employees

3. Jack Reply Report comment

May 6, 2015 at 5:33 pm

I know this is an old article, but mediacom saying that 98% of users never go near 250gb is just a lie to get more customers. I signed up for that service 6 months ago and have went over every month according to them. And even though its not possible, they hammer me with overage charges, we have outtages weekly, and I have spent 15-20 hrs. on the phone with them for nothing at all. I even tried upgrading to the 1 terabite plan, but at the next billing cycle,more overage fees, and more lies!

4. Dalin Reply Report comment

April 21, 2015 at 11:37 pm

TV cable companies is 2011 took a big loss because of people stream more. I’m charged $15 fee on my mediacom Internet for not having cable TV and basic TV cost is very high for very little. Websites sap up bandwidth with media players, I ignore them and turn my sound off. I pay more attention to images and images don’t use as much bandwidth. We pay for commercials and Windows 8 is set up for receiving more commercials with internet running in the background. Ka-ching says Mediacom.

5. Mark Reed Reply Report comment

February 24, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Well I will be darn if I am in that 2% for the last couple of months. We get a message to buy 1gb at a time not 50gb for $10 like this says. May have to check into another service. Extremely disappointed that Mediacom is like being greedy.

6. Crystal Miller Reply Report comment

July 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm

How does cellualar wifi usage affect my GB usage? Does connecting my cell phone via wifi take a lot of GB?

7. Eleven Reply Report comment

April 10, 2014 at 9:36 pm

So if you don’t watch their silly cable TV and use netflix or hulu or any other entertainment service provider then Meadiacom is going to charge you for that too. It’s called a Monopoly. In case you didn’t know let me give you a clear definition of the word. Monopoly exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity or service.

8. Jessica Reply Report comment

April 10, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I think this is the most stupidest thing every. I pay for unlimited internet service not for 250 gb. I should be getting what I pay for not more of a fie. I shouldn’t have to pay more of my money to some ridiculous over charges.

• Jack Reply Report comment

May 6, 2015 at 5:39 pm

And on new installs they will never tell you they have 250GB cap, even if you ask over and over, its unlimited is what they told me, its also what the ad online said. False advertising used to be illeagal didn’t it?

9. Lvs Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 9:23 am

I have used Century Link for a number of years. I just got tired of three or four rate increases a year and the internet being down all the time. It is maybe not as fast but it works 98% of the time. My son has verizon internet and he likes it a lot. It is more expensive but he can use it anywhere.

10. Andy Baumann Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 1:54 am

Amusingly enough, I received an email from mediacom advising me that I was approaching my data limit that I didn’t even know existed until now……and even funnier yet, I got the email on my cell phone because, surprise, surprise, my mediacom Internet is down….and has been for hours. That’s some customer service right there! I it’s pretty bad that I have to use my cell provider as a backup Internet source because mediacom has been so unreliable all these years.

• maybe Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 7:53 am

I left Mediacom for Centurylink last year because mediacom’s internet was down more than it was up. When they raised my rates I said seeya, then they offered me a heck of a deal but I left instead.

• Doug Nelson Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 7:58 am

It annoys me when I hear of a company that offers ‘deals’ when customers are annoyed. If they can do that, why not just roll back the cost for all and stop soaking it to the people who don’t feel comfortable complaining?

I realize that’s how it works, but argh!

• Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 8:37 am

We are a CL Tel family, despite some strangeness with their remotes and interface units. The internet always works well. I believe in supporting local utilities…provided they are reasonably keeping up with current demands. Ultimately humans should view the food supply with as much scrutiny and attention as they give cable TV, and invest in local food operations…but they don’t seem to care as much? Bizarre.

March 27, 2014 at 9:30 am

You are actually a NetINS subscriber. ClTel just comes out and does the physical work. That is kind of like getting your local food from the ma and pop store down the road called walmart.

• March 27, 2014 at 9:40 am

Time to go back to string and cans then. 🙂

11. Arlene Harris Reply Report comment

March 11, 2014 at 8:07 pm

We are on Mediacom in South Dakota. Last month(Feb) I rec’d notice that I was approaching the 150 gb limit and did go over a very small amount for which I was not charged as it was the first time. Now by this date (March 11) I am up to 90 gb. I do not understand this as I do not down load movies, I use Skye minimally and I have not changed my habits on anything else. This is the first I was made aware of this process and apparently it has been in motion since Aug. 2012 or something like…