Socialize

FacebookTwitterYoutube

Mediacom to cap internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle

Advertise on NIT, reach thousands of North Iowans. CLICK HERE

Mediacom is announcing to customers that it is capping internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle. According to a notice, any customer who uses above 250 gigabytes will be charged an additional fee.

Mediacom internet service is widely-used in the North Iowa area.

“Although these changes won’t affect the way about 98% of our customers use the Internet or how much the service costs, we want you to understand the changes and tell you how to see if they will affect you,” Mediacom stated.

The notice states that effective September 13, 2013, monthly data usage allowance will be 250 Gigabytes. The changes will only affect customers who use more than 250 GB during the monthly billing cycle. Customers who exceed the data limit will need to purchase 50 GB blocks of data at $10 per block.

Mediacom says its median monthly data usage is currently under 14 GB per month; it says it will contact customers as they approach or exceed the data limit.

“The amount of data you use is largely impacted by your online activities, not just the amount of time you spend online,” Mediacom said. “For example, you could spend hours on Facebook, checking e-mails, or surfing the web, and use less than 1 GB of data. On the other hand, you could spend 30 minutes downloading a movie and use 2 GB. Put simply, it’s what you do with the Internet that affects your usage, not the time you spend on it.”

Print Friendly
Posted on August 17, 2013. Filed under Watercooler.

53 Responses to Mediacom to cap internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle

1. Crystal Miller Reply Report comment

July 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm

How does cellualar wifi usage affect my GB usage? Does connecting my cell phone via wifi take a lot of GB?

2. Eleven Reply Report comment

April 10, 2014 at 9:36 pm

So if you don’t watch their silly cable TV and use netflix or hulu or any other entertainment service provider then Meadiacom is going to charge you for that too. It’s called a Monopoly. In case you didn’t know let me give you a clear definition of the word. Monopoly exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity or service.

3. Jessica Reply Report comment

April 10, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I think this is the most stupidest thing every. I pay for unlimited internet service not for 250 gb. I should be getting what I pay for not more of a fie. I shouldn’t have to pay more of my money to some ridiculous over charges.

4. LVS Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 9:23 am

I have used Century Link for a number of years. I just got tired of three or four rate increases a year and the internet being down all the time. It is maybe not as fast but it works 98% of the time. My son has verizon internet and he likes it a lot. It is more expensive but he can use it anywhere.

5. Andy Baumann Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 1:54 am

Amusingly enough, I received an email from mediacom advising me that I was approaching my data limit that I didn’t even know existed until now……and even funnier yet, I got the email on my cell phone because, surprise, surprise, my mediacom Internet is down….and has been for hours. That’s some customer service right there! I it’s pretty bad that I have to use my cell provider as a backup Internet source because mediacom has been so unreliable all these years.

• maybe Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 7:53 am

I left Mediacom for Centurylink last year because mediacom’s internet was down more than it was up. When they raised my rates I said seeya, then they offered me a heck of a deal but I left instead.

• Mediator

Mediator Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 7:58 am

It annoys me when I hear of a company that offers ‘deals’ when customers are annoyed. If they can do that, why not just roll back the cost for all and stop soaking it to the people who don’t feel comfortable complaining?

I realize that’s how it works, but argh!

• Philosophus Reply Report comment

March 27, 2014 at 8:37 am

We are a CL Tel family, despite some strangeness with their remotes and interface units. The internet always works well. I believe in supporting local utilities…provided they are reasonably keeping up with current demands. Ultimately humans should view the food supply with as much scrutiny and attention as they give cable TV, and invest in local food operations…but they don’t seem to care as much? Bizarre.

March 27, 2014 at 9:30 am

You are actually a NetINS subscriber. ClTel just comes out and does the physical work. That is kind of like getting your local food from the ma and pop store down the road called walmart.

• Philosophus

March 27, 2014 at 9:40 am

Time to go back to string and cans then. :)

6. Arlene Harris Reply Report comment

March 11, 2014 at 8:07 pm

We are on Mediacom in South Dakota. Last month(Feb) I rec’d notice that I was approaching the 150 gb limit and did go over a very small amount for which I was not charged as it was the first time. Now by this date (March 11) I am up to 90 gb. I do not understand this as I do not down load movies, I use Skye minimally and I have not changed my habits on anything else. This is the first I was made aware of this process and apparently it has been in motion since Aug. 2012 or something like…

7. Former Mediacrap Customer Reply Report comment

March 3, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Read this, very relevant to this article and bs data caps imposed by greedy isps with monopolies.

I am a former mediacom customer, their service like many have stated is not good. Data caps from any cable company (even a good one) especially when they are this low (250)for a $50-$60+ monthly bill are nonsense. What happened to the money doled out by the government for supposed fiber optics networks to be built around the country. What happened is greedy isps don’t want competition. People in this country need to stop being so d*mn complacent and WAKE THE F*CK UP.

8. Todd Saunders Reply Report comment

February 7, 2014 at 10:59 am

The problem comes when everywhere you go to view textual news and shopping you wind up with streaming commercials that devour your data limit. This can be an expensive problem.

9. Heretic Reply Report comment

February 1, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Lando Calrisian: You can’t alter one side of a bargain.
    Darth Vader: Pray we do not alter it further.

10. Living in a Big Country Reply Report comment

December 17, 2013 at 7:58 am

MC limits choice of providers. WE pay 29 a month for unlimited Charter internet piped in through cable. No need for cable and the commercials that go with it.

December 17, 2013 at 1:08 am

They are just trying to control too much u already pay monthly subscriptions to netflix, hulu, and ect. Soon as I find a service that is available I’m switching. TV service should be priced lowered if Netflix and hulu are beating them out because the reason they are is because price and the fact media com has issues with cable all the time. A big negative to many customers to add limit to bandwidth. Away with media com!

12. L F Reply Report comment

September 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

I think the only way this is going to change is if Mediacom gets heat from other large companies – ie Netflix, Hulu, Microsoft (updates), etc.

This is an effort to shut down customers from only using basic cable services and not utilizing their pay per view feature. If people cannot go directly the the networks, Netflix or Hulu to watch tv series and movies then Mediacom’s advertisers are happier and won’t prefer spending their advertising dollars where people are actually going (Hulu and network streaming) to watch television. Why buy a Hopper from them or rent mediacom’s version if you can just catch your episodes online? This restriction will affect on-line gamers the most. In our household of 2 young gamers we risk overages every month. When they are not at school, doing homework or at their part time jobs, they are online gaming or watching netflix, youtube, etc. this is the situation in every household with high school or college age kids in it I know.

Most recent financial data (2009) for mediacom: *For the first half (2009), we have already generated over $62 million of AFTER-TAX FREE CASH FLOW* – A FIVE-FOLD INCREASE OVER THE SAME PERIOD LAST YEAR*

Adjusted OIBDA rose 5.1 percent to $136.8 million
    Operating income increased 11.1 percent to $77.1 million
    Free cash flow rose 480 percent to $31.1 million, or 46 cents per basic weighted average share

“In one of the most difficult economic environment in decades, Mediacom continued to produce solid financial results,” said Mediacom Chairman and CEO Rocco Commisso. “Our healthy growth rates in revenues and adjusted OIBDA, along with tight control of operating costs and capital expenditures, enabled us to achieve record free cash flow.

“For the first half, we have already generated over $62 million of after-tax free cash flow – a five-fold increase from the same period last year.”

This data is from 2009 – Hulu and Netflix usage has skyrocketed since this time – mediacom is no longer able to glutton that fat piece of pie they had been accustomed to because, for the most part, they HAVE (HAD) NO COMPETITION (utilizing cable optics). Sure, in some areas there is south slope or some other minor cable provider, but there is very little (if no) overlap in service whereby the consumer gets to chose whether to use south slope or mediacom. I don’t know how mediacom seems to get around monopoly laws, but they do.

We also use our wifi for smartphone data usage for 5 cell phones rather than using the (very expensive)cellular network. This is also going to eat up our monthly data allowance.

So, mediacom has consumers by the short-hairs and can do anything they want to – and they know it.

Again, the only way I know that any change will come is if they get some legal/political pressure from Hulu, Netflix, Google (Youtube)), large on-line gaming companies when they start losing subscriptions.

Our cell phone provider is going to love it and I imagine Redbox is going to be pretty happy as well. On second thought, Netflix may benefit as well if people go back to renting from them rather than primarily streaming.

Just like every other major company screwing consumers – we will just have to suck it up because consumers won’t really leave enmasse – and that’s the only way consumers have any weight at all in making them change.

September 11, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Unfortunately, it seems that many ISPs are doing this. I live in central MO, so I am very limited on who I can pick from. Every single ISP here in town has implemented this download limit every month so as much as it angers me that they are doing this, it wouldn’t do me any good to switch.

14. dave Reply Report comment

September 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Mediacom’s goal is stop people from using Netflix and Hulu and other downloadable services that compete with them.Limiting your downloading to 250gig will allow you to watch at most 3 to 4 movies a month let alone to watch other programming that competes with their service.It is a franchise agreement with the city of mason city.The city should be able to step in and say unfair or force them to offer a unlimited plan.Very few services have limited download limits other then telephone services.So,if there is another service in Mason City I would suggest going to it.Make mediacom pay via lost customers.

• Bekah Reply Report comment

September 12, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Actually, I stream from Netflix and iTunes and Amazon streaming on a DAILY basis – movies, t.v shows…. I use between 60GB and 80GB per month….I’m not seeing an issue here?

• Al Reply Report comment

December 13, 2013 at 5:15 pm

While I agree that this is a move to push people from using netflix and hulu, I disagree in how severally you’re putting it.

I watch several seasons on netflix and youtube videos while my husband plays video games all day long. We have yet to go over.
      This works for us, but a larger family will get into some trouble if there are movie/game lovers.

15. Beyond_Annoyed Reply Report comment

September 1, 2013 at 10:03 pm

So seriously I signed a contract with them for 3 yrs and was told my price was locked in at said price for those 3 yrs….after yr one they upped my price and now are trying to screw me over with internet usage? I got with them thinking I was getting the best deal for my money and for being able to do my online college work. Now I’m seriously thinking they screwed me over and for what the ability to be GREEDY. Shame on you Mediacom, I hope all of us users are able to find an alternative to using you greedy liars.

• maybe Reply Report comment

September 6, 2013 at 6:46 am

if your price was locked in for 3 years and they upped it that means they broke the contract and you are free to drop them.

• Tonya Reply Report comment

October 3, 2013 at 4:20 am

No shame on you for not paying attention when the representative read you the contract. They specifically advised you there is a rate increase the 13 month with a 2yr contract and again the 25th month with 3yr. How do I know this? I worked for Mediacom 7 years listening to people like you call in and curse us out because you didn’t pay attention while we read you the contract. Plus if you don’t believe me call them up and tell the representative you would like for the supervisor to pull your call so you can listen to yourself say I agree!!!!

• My Voice Reply Report comment

October 3, 2013 at 6:25 am

I am SO sorry for you Tonya…Mediacom SUCKS.

• John Reply Report comment

January 13, 2014 at 3:01 pm

When I called Mediacom and told them to pull the call from the sales agent after 20 mins of waiting on hold they said they couldn’t. Because the call happened just before they started doing that. What a bunch of bullshit. Mediacome is a piece of shit company with the worst customer service! Oh and capping internet usage is a cheap and underhanded.

August 29, 2013 at 10:43 am

Mediacom can’t help themselves from getting worse. This won’t affect most households as hardly anyone uses that much data.

There aren’t really any alternatives to Mediacom even in Des Moines. DSL is totally worthless. Good news though, google is installing fiber all over the place. They’ll be to Des Moines at some point and then Mediacom will disappear forever.

17. Sara Reply Report comment

August 28, 2013 at 8:57 am

It’s sad that just about every ounce of wiggle room or freedom we have is slowly getting taken from us. I work @ home & have been a Mediacom customer for 12 years because of my occupation. DSL is not ideal for ppl like myself. In the last year, I’ve dropped voicemail (after they started charging for that), dropped unneeded channels, only have 1 cable box in the living room (not even HD), installed my own router, use redbox instead of paying $5 for a movie….. BUT YET… with everything I’ve done; I’ve seen NO significant changes in my bill. It’s honestly depressing. Soooo thanks Mediacom for yet another kick in the teeth! I guess the best thing to do is find out exactly how much data we, as customers are using! Bottom line, this is our HOME Internet! We can’t take it anywhere!

What about Mediacom’s service? I have very frequent Internet & phone outages, which last hours! Not all their channels are HD! Their customer wait times are outrageous. Then if you’re REALLY lucky, you may get to speak to a person who’s native language is English.

Maybe before “punishing” loyal customers, perhaps they should seek some CUSTOMER SERVICE issues first & foremost. What’s next… phone data usage charges?

Good luck to all of the Mediacom customers or soon to be ex-customers! I hope others have more options than people like myself. Mediacom start considering your customers, as Internet just isn’t a luxury too all people at home; some of us feed our families by WORKING AT HOME ONLINE!

• maybe Reply Report comment

August 28, 2013 at 10:54 am

For the exact reasons you stated is why I left Mediacom and went to direct tv and century link. Cheaper price with more channels. I must admit that when it rains hard I lose tv but so far I haven’t lost internet at all. The internet is slower than Mediacom but it is always there without interuptions.

August 25, 2013 at 1:20 am

It’s not worth keeping. I’m canceling my service with them.

August 23, 2013 at 6:22 am

Pieces of shit… People wouldn’t switch over to services like Netflix or Hulu if their cable services weren’t so shitty.

September 13, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I agree – basic cable is worthless!

August 23, 2013 at 1:33 am

How does this affect Netflix?

• Nicole Reply Report comment

September 6, 2013 at 12:39 am

I have Netflix on all of the time. Since it’s streaming it effects it a lot. I’m a little outraged by this, especially since I never even received a notice from Mediacom telling me this, just started receiving notices on the top of my internet page. Seriously?!?

21. Here’s a handy utility I have given my customers to monitor bandwidth on their Wifi Hotspots or their Satellite Internet Services.

Just install it into each computer you have that is online, set the date of the billing cycle and it will keep a current running total of bandwidth used.

I do recommend turning the computers off when you aren’t actively using them, as they do auto download updates, etc when you aren’t using them. If you have a virus or malware, that can be an issue as it will want to “phone home” and use bandwidth as well.

This is the link for the utility. If you need any assistance with it, don’t hesitate to get ahold of me for help.

Patrick Palmer
    The Computer Guy

22. supertall Reply Report comment

August 18, 2013 at 8:47 am

How does it use to stream a movie on netflix? Is it the same as downloading it?

• maybe Reply Report comment

August 18, 2013 at 9:11 am

I have 240 mb on my tablet and I can only watch half a movie on netflix.

• Duh Reply Report comment

August 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Yes, streaming (i.e. Netflix) counts as data usage.

23. Nichole Bench Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I have a hot spot and it works great.

24. Polio Loco Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Ger ready, the satellite companies are doing similar things and Century Link will be next.

25. Joao do Carmo Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Is this a move to combat customers who drop their cable access and use NetFlix, Hula etc?

• Porky Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Didn’t think of that. A shot at those using other services or are hogging bandwidth I think.

• maybe Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 5:19 pm

my internet and satellite through century link is cheaper than just the cable on Mediacom.

• LVS Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm

@maybe-so is mine. A lot cheaper with more channels.

September 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm

26. ds Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm

thanks for giving me the motivation to switch mediacom. your cable sucks anyway

27. Mason Cityan Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I will be looking for another internet provider. If I switch my internet, I’m getting rid of Mediacom for my cable. Stupid move on their part. I bet a lot of customers will look for another provider.

August 17, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Don’t you think that they charge enough!

29. just the facts Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 12:19 pm

So, how can we tell how much we’ve used?

• Anonymouse Reply Report comment

August 17, 2013 at 8:07 pm

There is a usage meter on your account page (somewhere) I checked mine a week ago, used 310 mb for the month. I should downsize my access.

August 22, 2013 at 7:26 am

Read the article again, the supposed limit is GB not mb. You’re not even close.