News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
Cerro Gordo County carbon monoxide poisoning Emergency Room visits are double the state rate
• Founded 2010

Mediacom to cap internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle

This news story was published on August 17, 2013.

Mediacom is announcing to customers that it is capping internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle. According to a notice, any customer who uses above 250 gigabytes will be charged an additional fee.

Mediacom internet service is widely-used in the North Iowa area.

“Although these changes won’t affect the way about 98% of our customers use the Internet or how much the service costs, we want you to understand the changes and tell you how to see if they will affect you,” Mediacom stated.

The notice states that effective September 13, 2013, monthly data usage allowance will be 250 Gigabytes. The changes will only affect customers who use more than 250 GB during the monthly billing cycle. Customers who exceed the data limit will need to purchase 50 GB blocks of data at $10 per block.

Mediacom says its median monthly data usage is currently under 14 GB per month; it says it will contact customers as they approach or exceed the data limit.

“The amount of data you use is largely impacted by your online activities, not just the amount of time you spend online,” Mediacom said. “For example, you could spend hours on Facebook, checking e-mails, or surfing the web, and use less than 1 GB of data. On the other hand, you could spend 30 minutes downloading a movie and use 2 GB. Put simply, it’s what you do with the Internet that affects your usage, not the time you spend on it.”

Print Friendly

Leave your comment:

61 Responses to Mediacom to cap internet usage at 250 gigabytes per billing cycle

1. ammata Reply Report comment

March 31, 2016 at 10:07 am

I know that Centurylink doesn’t have any data caps but you’re not gonna get the speed or performance of cable modem. Still I think it would be worth it not having to worry about going over data limit.

June 7, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Centurylink does have data caps, google them, 250gb for speeds over 1.5mb.

2. Waterloo Reply Report comment

August 19, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Mediacom is the worst internet ever, horrible service, data cap, unexpected changes in contracts, dumbass employees

3. Jack Reply Report comment

May 6, 2015 at 5:33 pm

I know this is an old article, but mediacom saying that 98% of users never go near 250gb is just a lie to get more customers. I signed up for that service 6 months ago and have went over every month according to them. And even though its not possible, they hammer me with overage charges, we have outtages weekly, and I have spent 15-20 hrs. on the phone with them for nothing at all. I even tried upgrading to the 1 terabite plan, but at the next billing cycle,more overage fees, and more lies!

4. Dalin Reply Report comment

April 21, 2015 at 11:37 pm

TV cable companies is 2011 took a big loss because of people stream more. I’m charged $15 fee on my mediacom Internet for not having cable TV and basic TV cost is very high for very little. Websites sap up bandwidth with media players, I ignore them and turn my sound off. I pay more attention to images and images don’t use as much bandwidth. We pay for commercials and Windows 8 is set up for receiving more commercials with internet running in the background. Ka-ching says Mediacom.

5. Mark Reed Reply Report comment

February 24, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Well I will be darn if I am in that 2% for the last couple of months. We get a message to buy 1gb at a time not 50gb for $10 like this says. May have to check into another service. Extremely disappointed that Mediacom is like being greedy.