MASON CITY – A Mason City woman is in shock after her dog died following a walk in which the pup apparently came into contact with rat poison – and she wants to spread the word to make others aware of the possible danger.
Denise Martin tells NIT Tuesday afternoon that she enjoyed frequent walks her 7-month old puppy Stella around Big Blue at Lester Milligan Park in Mason City. Tragically, however, Sunday was to be the last time Stella would accompany Denise on a walk around the scenic pit. Stella passed away Monday morning after falling ill. Denise says that Sunday morning, Stella was on her leash as they walked around Big Blue. Stella was venturing a little off the trail while still on her leash, picking up sticks and foraging a little as any playful puppy might do.
However, later that day, Stella became short of breath and became sick. Denise took her to a local vet who prescribed Pepto Bismol and close observation. Stella got progressively more sick and finally passed away Monday morning. Denise says her vet is sure that Stella ingested rat poison after the pup was bleeding from the mouth.
“I would never have thought in a million years that taking my baby for a walk around Big Blue in Mason City would take her life,” Denise said. “I am in shock that she is gone and never in a million years would I think rat poison would something she would come in contact with while walking the trails around big blue aka Lester Milligan Park.”
Denise asked NIT to warn other dog and pet owners about the possible danger of some kind of poisonous substance – possibly rat poison that got there by accident or intentionally – around Big Blue, near the trail areas.
Denise planned to make a phone call to police today to make them aware of the possible dangers to animals and maybe even children who might come into contact with rat poison or a similar substance in that area.