News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
Now is the time to build your NEW WEBSITE.
Visit the pro's at Breakthrough Web Design.
CALL: 641-201-1459
WEAVER CONSTRUCTION
Gets the job done.
Call 641-420-8935 for a free estimate.
• Founded 2010

Weaver’s “Rancho Deluxe Z Garden” taking shape

This news story was published on January 8, 2012.

by Matt Marquardt –

MASON CITY – Max Weaver is no longer a City Councilman, so he is finding new ways to fill his days.

One of his favorite things to do, when he is not chatting up anyone and everyone in town, is to work on his “Rancho Deluxe Z Garden.”

“It took ’em twelve years to throw my ass out, I’m OK with that,” Max Weaver informed NorthIowaToday.com on an unseasonably warm January day.  “I didn’t campaign.”

Weaver was at his garden, located just east of Good Shepherd Nursing Home on 2nd Street NE, all weekend, toiling away, moving 4000 pound blocks of concrete.  He had the help of a forklift and four young men, including his son Ruben and former Mohawk track star Coty Thompson.

“We put in a few hours each day over here,” Thompson said.  Weaver treated the guys to a lunch at the Suzie Q for their help.

(PHOTO: Weaver inspects a forklift as Coty Thompson, Troy Levenhagen, Ruben Weaver and Tony Boster look on.)

At Rancho Deluxe, Weaver created a stage, surrounded by “artwork” of all kinds.  Old bicycles of every shape, size and age are hoisted onto the tops of walls, made up of the concrete blocks, two high.  You will find signs that he has acquired throughout the garden.  There is a bathtub full of bowling balls on top of another wall.

On Friday, Weaver and his crew were busy creating a “room” by re-arranging the blocks.  Their progress was stalled by a blown-out tire on their forklift, which they had fixed later that evening.  The room is next to the stage, where people can congregate and talk, Weaver said.

“Anyone can talk on my stage, say anything they want, there is no time-limit,” he said. “Once you are off the stage, that’s it, the debate is over, you get it all of your chest there.”

Weaver routinely has pedestrians and bicyclists pass through his garden.  “They’re all welcome here,” Weaver said.  A young lady and a small child strolled through the garden and took their own tour of the place.  An older lady on a bike also stopped and chatted.  “In warm weather, they are here all the time.”

As for his future plans, Weaver said he just wants to work on his garden.  “I have water, and electric service ready to go,” he said.  “Maybe I will serve hotdogs here in the summer, invite bands to play.  Hold debates.  Anything’s a possibility.”

Watch video:

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave your comment:

108 Responses to Weaver’s “Rancho Deluxe Z Garden” taking shape

1. Ryan Kabele Reply Report comment

August 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

My fiance and I love the z garden. have talked to Max about getting married there on September 20, 2014. Mr. Weaver you are definitely invited to attend if you would like to.

2. Watcher Reply Report comment

January 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm

There are places like this all along Route 66, Cadillac Ranch, Elmer Long’s Bottle Tree Ranch, etc.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I concur, if you don’t enjoy things like this, then find something you do like instead of ripping down what others find interesting.

Kudos for using some imagination, and bringing some color to a very black and white (I’m wrong and your right) community.

3. The Jackal Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Wrong again pete, think back to what i said earlier. it should help you narrow it down

4. The Jackal Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 9:57 pm

How about we meet for a cup of coffee at jitters instead?

5. The jackal Reply Report comment

January 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Well said Pea-tor, As far as your kid statement goes you should stick to what you know. I saw your vehicle on many occasions. Purely because I drive past your house on the way to work everyday. I too was at the Ron Paul rally, and I support him fully. But lets try to stay on topic regarding the garden. I’m also well aware I was one of the reasons we were off topic.

• Peter Lagios

Peter L Reply Report comment

January 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Frankly I’m sick of the anonymity. How much bravery does it take to write under a pseudonym and criticize someone on the internet? It sounds more like harassment. If you know so much about me, and live near me…why not use your real name when you speak to me? Hell, why don’t you stop by, ring the door bell and tell me what an a-hole you think I am. I just don’t buy into the anonymous thing any longer. It has zero credibility and zero respect.

6. Who cares? Reply Report comment

January 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Not a big fan of Max on most subjects, but if he wants to put his energy into “art” that is accessible to those throughout the community then more power to him. I will applaud on this one.

7. Beverly Reply Report comment

January 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm

What? I can’t get through that. Seriously work it out and take comfort that no one really cares. This was about a garden. Don’t talk to us about who get’s talking Bookmeyer and the crazy bastards runnin the show. Garden Peter a garden.

• Peter Lagios

Peter Reply Report comment

January 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Beverly…it’s over. I rested. I was just angry about a comment Max made to someone sitting next to me at the Ron Paul appearance several weeks back. I interpreted the comment to be derogatory towards the man and his income status that it was said to. The man himself told me he felt it was uttered by Max in a slighting manner. Given Max’s own income status as being dependent upon his wife’s income at Mercy Hospital, I thought perhaps that Max probably shouldn’t have spoken and just kept his views to himself. We were all there to listen to a Presidential hopeful, and everyone is welcome to be part of the political process. Max’s comment was disparaging, and it angered me. I’m over it. It’s done.

• Peter Lagios

Peter Reply Report comment

January 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

However, I will apologize for calling Max a “Schizo”. That comment was overstepped, but made after I was attacked by “sewer comments”. I still wonder about his ego sometimes, but we’re all entitled to take stock in ourselves…because if we don’t…who will?

Anyway, i’d like to see Max come on here and utter an apology or an explanation about what he said, but I’m prepared to drop it as well.

• Bill "Jello Pudding" Reply Report comment

January 13, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Peter L offering an apology and accepting responsibility for his own actions? Not blaming everybody in this world and his family for his misfortune? WOW!! There is a GOD!! Good job Peter, there may be hope for you yet!!