Socialize

FacebookTwitterYoutube

Weaver’s “Rancho Deluxe Z Garden” taking shape

by Matt Marquardt -

MASON CITY – Max Weaver is no longer a City Councilman, so he is finding new ways to fill his days.

One of his favorite things to do, when he is not chatting up anyone and everyone in town, is to work on his ”Rancho Deluxe Z Garden.”

“It took ‘em twelve years to throw my ass out, I’m OK with that,” Max Weaver informed NorthIowaToday.com on an unseasonably warm January day.  ”I didn’t campaign.”

Weaver was at his garden, located just east of Good Shepherd Nursing Home on 2nd Street NE, all weekend, toiling away, moving 4000 pound blocks of concrete.  He had the help of a forklift and four young men, including his son Ruben and former Mohawk track star Coty Thompson.

“We put in a few hours each day over here,” Thompson said.  Weaver treated the guys to a lunch at the Suzie Q for their help.

(PHOTO: Weaver inspects a forklift as Coty Thompson, Troy Levenhagen, Ruben Weaver and Tony Boster look on.)

At Rancho Deluxe, Weaver created a stage, surrounded by “artwork” of all kinds.  Old bicycles of every shape, size and age are hoisted onto the tops of walls, made up of the concrete blocks, two high.  You will find signs that he has acquired throughout the garden.  There is a bathtub full of bowling balls on top of another wall.

On Friday, Weaver and his crew were busy creating a “room” by re-arranging the blocks.  Their progress was stalled by a blown-out tire on their forklift, which they had fixed later that evening.  The room is next to the stage, where people can congregate and talk, Weaver said.

“Anyone can talk on my stage, say anything they want, there is no time-limit,” he said. “Once you are off the stage, that’s it, the debate is over, you get it all of your chest there.”

Weaver routinely has pedestrians and bicyclists pass through his garden.  ”They’re all welcome here,” Weaver said.  A young lady and a small child strolled through the garden and took their own tour of the place.  An older lady on a bike also stopped and chatted.  ”In warm weather, they are here all the time.”

As for his future plans, Weaver said he just wants to work on his garden.  ”I have water, and electric service ready to go,” he said.  ”Maybe I will serve hotdogs here in the summer, invite bands to play.  Hold debates.  Anything’s a possibility.”

Watch video:

Print Friendly
Posted on January 8, 2012. Filed under Top Stories.
Add Comment Register

107 Responses to Weaver’s “Rancho Deluxe Z Garden” taking shape

1. Watcher Reply Report comment

January 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm

There are places like this all along Route 66, Cadillac Ranch, Elmer Long’s Bottle Tree Ranch, etc.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I concur, if you don’t enjoy things like this, then find something you do like instead of ripping down what others find interesting.

Kudos for using some imagination, and bringing some color to a very black and white (I’m wrong and your right) community.

2. The Jackal Reply Report comment

January 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Wrong again pete, think back to what i said earlier. it should help you narrow it down

3. The Jackal Reply Report comment

January 16, 2012 at 9:57 pm

How about we meet for a cup of coffee at jitters instead?

4. The jackal Reply Report comment

January 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Well said Pea-tor, As far as your kid statement goes you should stick to what you know. I saw your vehicle on many occasions. Purely because I drive past your house on the way to work everyday. I too was at the Ron Paul rally, and I support him fully. But lets try to stay on topic regarding the garden. I’m also well aware I was one of the reasons we were off topic.

• Peter L Reply Report comment

January 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Frankly I’m sick of the anonymity. How much bravery does it take to write under a pseudonym and criticize someone on the internet? It sounds more like harassment. If you know so much about me, and live near me…why not use your real name when you speak to me? Hell, why don’t you stop by, ring the door bell and tell me what an a-hole you think I am. I just don’t buy into the anonymous thing any longer. It has zero credibility and zero respect.

5. Who cares? Reply Report comment

January 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Not a big fan of Max on most subjects, but if he wants to put his energy into “art” that is accessible to those throughout the community then more power to him. I will applaud on this one.

6. Beverly Reply Report comment

January 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm

What? I can’t get through that. Seriously work it out and take comfort that no one really cares. This was about a garden. Don’t talk to us about who get’s talking Bookmeyer and the crazy bastards runnin the show. Garden Peter a garden.

January 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Beverly…it’s over. I rested. I was just angry about a comment Max made to someone sitting next to me at the Ron Paul appearance several weeks back. I interpreted the comment to be derogatory towards the man and his income status that it was said to. The man himself told me he felt it was uttered by Max in a slighting manner. Given Max’s own income status as being dependent upon his wife’s income at Mercy Hospital, I thought perhaps that Max probably shouldn’t have spoken and just kept his views to himself. We were all there to listen to a Presidential hopeful, and everyone is welcome to be part of the political process. Max’s comment was disparaging, and it angered me. I’m over it. It’s done.

January 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

However, I will apologize for calling Max a “Schizo”. That comment was overstepped, but made after I was attacked by “sewer comments”. I still wonder about his ego sometimes, but we’re all entitled to take stock in ourselves…because if we don’t…who will?

Anyway, i’d like to see Max come on here and utter an apology or an explanation about what he said, but I’m prepared to drop it as well.

• Bill "Jello Pudding" Reply Report comment

January 13, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Peter L offering an apology and accepting responsibility for his own actions? Not blaming everybody in this world and his family for his misfortune? WOW!! There is a GOD!! Good job Peter, there may be hope for you yet!!

7. Emanresu Reply Report comment

January 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

PETER, PETER, PETER – get a life or do some volunteer work to take up your idle time. Go out and walk around Big Blue or the Work Force Develpoment Office, search Cheslea Creek, the dumpsters near W.F.D., {any dumpsters for that matter } and find that abandoned innocent baby! Do something other than sit at your entertainment center all day and write crap! Good God, Peter – take a break PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!

• Not greek, more geek. Reply Report comment

January 12, 2012 at 11:02 am

Walk around big blu? Hell, walk accross it, you know, test the ice!!

January 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

What I don’t get is why peter went way off subject and started attacking Max. This article was about his art and what he has done with z gardens, and not about his political views. Another thing peter its not your business, he wasn’t talking to you. So why you bashing him, why don’t you just lay off, because you have gotten way of subject, this article is about z gardens not political views.

January 12, 2012 at 11:42 am

It was brought to my attention by the person it was said to…therefore it became my business.

9. Beverly Reply Report comment

January 11, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Bookmeyer and suporters this is how you sound…LIKE PETER. So take notice. Fact is EVERYONE knows in this town knows this Peter what he is and how he got ‘em and the various problems that go with this guy. Sometimes he’s with it and sometimes he’s a loop, everybody knows it. Bookmeyers band is a constant loop no matter what topic. With that Peter has the edge. Simply stay on topic and Leave peoples “art” alone…you beg for reasoning here all the time…give a little respect maybe you’d get some back and not so at your private war all the time. pleeeze.

January 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Beverly, I dig Max’s garden. Whatever floats his boat. I’ve never dissed his idea of art. I deal with a wide variety of issues across the spectrum. You say that I’m off the loop sometimes. Perhaps that’s just because you don’t understand that particular issue. I actually find it quite neurotic that you and Peter Children continually rant on and on about Bookmeyer and the city council. To me that’s its own form of mental illness…but alas’ I don’t say ill about the ongoing tirade. I personally disagree with the approach. If Mr. Children was serious about doing anything other than throwing an adult tantrum…I may be interested in what he says. But in the end, Mr. Children will never grab the shovel and the hoe needed to build the better world…where as I will.

With that said, I return the forum to the interesting art gardens at hand. I made my point to Max, and I believe he internalizes the message I gave him.

I just want a fair world for everyone, and comments slurring people’s income status at political rallies, will not be tolerated by me.

Peace Out

10. The Don Reply Report comment

January 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Head back to the physic ward, Pete.

January 11, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Physic ward? Ha. Head back to elementary school and learn how to spell “Don”. You were trying to spell psyche.

January 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm

11. Grant Reply Report comment

January 11, 2012 at 12:43 am

Haha, No one likes you Peter. leave

January 11, 2012 at 1:12 am

I’m Grant, and I only care if people like me. If they don’t I feel bad about myself.

January 11, 2012 at 1:14 am

So anyway. I made it clear to Max the Schizo how I feel about him and his “style”. He’s a bunch of fast talking words that center around himself and his giant ego. Over and Out.

12. The jackal Reply Report comment

January 11, 2012 at 12:39 am

January 11, 2012 at 1:10 am

No where did I write that I didn’t like Weaver’s Chaos Gardens. I called Max on what he said at the Ron Paul rally. You just jumped aboard the bandwagon without knowing what you were talking about. As far as half my life being over. Hmmm. Your life could end tomorrow. So I’m not sure Time Has Anything To Do With It. I don’t know who I’m talking to Jackass, so this is about as much as I’m gonna give you.

January 11, 2012 at 1:28 am

…and p.s. I’ll keep my eye out in the media for someone named The Jackal from North Iowa, as I’m sure they’re going to make news with all the great things they’ve accomplished…whatever in the hell that means.

January 11, 2012 at 1:41 am

But ultimately there’s no sense in me explaining myself to a bunch of kids…which is what you and Grant really are. In fact come to think of it. There’s really no reason for me to be on this website at all. I’ve gone past the point of amusing myself. Anyway, you kids keep amusing yourself with your cliquish minds, and popularity contests. Say hi to your Granddaddy Max for me as well. And I’ll finish with my main point I was making…Max, a man who lives off his wife’s income, has no rights to be speaking down on people getting disability checks to help them survive. Whether you sign up with a woman, or with the United States Government…either way someone else is paying your way. Hopefully that will set in on old Mad Max. Ciao’.

January 11, 2012 at 1:59 am

Jackass wrote: Peter, Why do you dog on this form of art when you tore apart your Honda and labeled it as art and “expressing yourself” as what? a unintelligent individual who has no sense of art or the principals of safety in which automobile companies work hard to establish. Oh look at me! I’m Pete watch me hang my taillights with wire from my trunk support. Personally i think your jealous that half your life is over and you’ve done nothing great with your life. learn to accept more forms of art and entertainment.

I can’t resist answering your comments about my Honda. First of all I never labeled my Honda as “art”. I did that because I wanted to have an open air vehicle for the summer…like a jeep, and I was customizing it to serve as a camper when i traveled out west. If safety standards can apply to motorcycles then they can apply to my no-door Honda. Secondly, when you pair two vowels together like a & u, on separate words that follow each other, the “a” becomes “AN”…so it would read “AN unintelligent individual…etc. Third, the fact that you knew the intimate details of my taillights being supported by wire tells me you got close to my vehicle at some point, possibly indicating you as one of many “frienemies”. And the half your life is over deal…well we all age and have done various things in the eyes of ourselves our families and the universe that someone, somewhere deems important…so if you’re looking for my name in lights or on the tabloids, and that’s how you measure a persons’ success, I guess you can keep on keeping track of Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie in the Supermarket tabloids. So now that I picked apart your statments. Your Jackal ways don’t seem all that threatening. Good night.

13. Aspirin Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I’ve been to Max’s “Rancho Deluxe Z Garden” many times and love it! Wish it could be even bigger. Each time I visit I see something new and something to reminise over. Keep up the good work Mr. Weaver, as you truely care about Mason City, unlike the “beerguy”.

What a great project that is taking place, no tax dollars utilized and family/friends work on this project together! Now this is community my friends!!
    Gotta love it!! I sure do

January 10, 2012 at 9:37 am

spoken like a true ‘dumb’acrat!

15. stevo Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 1:18 am

Max Is the man. Look at who’s on there now counsel all about the rich they want thinks down for there self’s what about side walk from be je clark in winter time they have to walk in the road ive almost ran them over BUT THE CITY DONT CARE ABOUT THERE SAFeTY>>

• Kinkyh Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 9:00 am

The city don’t care about ‘friction in your diction’ either. If they did you’d be scratched !!

(whose yer english teacher)?

• Anna Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 11:40 am

They do need a sidewalk or move their facility so that the sex offenders can’t be by the damn Y & schools!!!!!

16. The Jackal Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 1:10 am

Stopped @ Z Garden today, I must say it’s a very creative piece of art. Nothing in the surrounding areas comes close to this place. I hope he continues and finishes the stage. After all it could be the next big thing and the bridge between the older generation and the youth.

17. wow Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 1:09 am

I think max i a great guy

18. Out of the blue. Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 1:07 am

Guess again pete.Game on.

January 10, 2012 at 1:18 am

Game nothing. Until I address you or talk to you, don’t talk to me.

January 10, 2012 at 1:23 am

Anonymous coward. You’re nothing but a creepy stalker, unless you print your real name. Btw…if you get too threatening, I can always have Matt trace your IP address. And anything personally threatening to me, and I’ll lay you down in Elmwood.

January 10, 2012 at 1:42 am

And here’s the deal. Any harassment by mystery men in the cyber universe, and I’ll promptly go to police. So sorry to disappoint you, but there won’t be any games being played. Basically, I deliberately speak the truth and tell it exactly how it is in order to get you people to stay away from me. I don’t want anything to do with any of you, and I’ve been trying to make that clear for some time now. The best thing any of you can do is to stay away from me, and don’t call and bother me any longer. My power lies in my ability to write. You mess with me, and I’m going to write about you. It’s just that simple. But of course if you mess with me personally, or my home…and like I said…you’ll be dirt napping. So tread carefully when you try to threaten or play games with me. I’m not a man that plays around.

January 10, 2012 at 1:59 am

You’re either one of two people…a drunken violent coke head who works on the railroad, or a gimped out violent pot smoker who can’t ride straight on his bike…either way you’re both persona non grata to me. And if you don’t want trouble and undue scrutiny on your life…you’d best stay away from me and stop bothering me. Because I’ll rain it down hard on you if you mess with me.

• Get some help Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 5:41 am

Start .

• Get some help Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 5:42 am

Start here.

January 10, 2012 at 8:49 am

Look, I don’t take advice or links from shadowy internet people. You want to reach me? You want to reach the light of day? Then print your real name. You can start with your real first name, like I do. But I’m sick and tired of all you anonymous cowards out there who write on NIT but don’t reveal your identity. At least Peter Children, Matt Marquardt, myself and many others use their real names. So go away fool. Go away…or get real. It’s your only options with me.

• The box Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

This Peter guy must be off his meds, ehhh..

Isn’t this the guy that’s been banned form everywhere?

January 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

Real bad dude, he say’s.

• Bad Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 11:41 am

Sounds ‘greek’ to me. Maybe a one-way trip accross the pond on a leaky raft !!!!!

Baaaaaaaaaaad dude!

January 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Banned from everywhere? Many of the features on NIT you niimrods enjoy were suggested by me to Matt Marquardt. I am a meaningful contributor to this website. I am “bad” only in that I won’t be intimidated by Mason City roughians. I grew up in Mason City unfortunately. I know the type of dirt bags that reside there. When people threaten me, I go on autopilot and see red. It’s not wise to do that…so keep it in the written word and you’ll be fine. Mess with me in real life and you’ll be sorry.

• Crazy, but that's how it goes! Reply Report comment

January 10, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Ha, Ha. Just laughing. Wow.

January 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

The rats amongst my feet…I let them bother me for a moment. I forgot they are just sewer rats.

19. Craig Reply Report comment

January 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Looks good Max,.. needs a couple chickens, ha.

20. The bearded goat Reply Report comment

January 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm

This place is bomb.
    I love it. Never thought a cool place like this would be in Mason City, IA.
    This is the stuff I see in California/Oregon. There’s so many conservative/senior citizens here in Mason. This just might keep the youth in town.
    We can only hope.

21. Mike Reply Report comment

January 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Wow, it’s been a few years since I’ve actually checked out Max’s park. It’s really coming around. Nice to see somebody making the city a better place on their own instead of spending other people’s money to do so. PS>I’m a Ron Paul supporter, nothing wrong with Max questioning why people would vote for any candidate-this is still the United States isn’t it? Anyway, this article is about his park not politics.
    Good Job Max!

22. Crow hater Reply Report comment

January 9, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hey, Weav still has that Buick! He let us hunt his land this fall.
    I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the cars he’s got. He should call American pickers and let them go through his buildings.

January 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Funny, he told me he sold the buick years ago.