Breakthrough Web Design - 641-201-1459 - Build Your Online Presence
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
Expert Web Design
for your business

CALL 641-201-1459
• Founded 2010

Manly residents to appeal pit bull notifications at Wednesday’s meeting

This news story was published on January 2, 2013.

MANLY – Five Manly residents will address the Manly City Council Wednesday evening regarding pit bull notifications they received.

This agenda item is a continuation of a hearing that was originally held on November 29, 2012.  The hearing was held because five residents were appealing pit bull notifications they received, according to a City Hall employee.

Pit bulls are prohibited in Manly, per city code.

More on this developing story later.

11 Responses to Manly residents to appeal pit bull notifications at Wednesday’s meeting

MrsS Reply Report comment

January 4, 2013 at 11:51 am

Wow, ignorance & uninformed at it’s worst here! The city never notified residents of a ban, then gives them 3 days to move out of town based on the city’s own negligence? I say lawsuit!!! Denver, CO has BSL & has no difference in dog bites from before, why? Because Pitbulls don’t make up a large percentage of bites, but a large percentage of media sensationalized bites. Any large breed dog can do a lot of damage, I’ve seen it. I feel so bad for these people having to deal with this discrimination. That’s like saying I had my car broken into by a white male, so ban all white males from town. Pure ignorance. For every Pitbull that bites, there’s 10.5 million that did nothing wrong, so punishing the breed is wrong! Then Manly sends letters out to all the registered owners….well, let me tell you, registered dogs are seldom the problem, it’s the ones who aren’t registered & haven’t been recorded at the Vet’s office. Punishing responsible owners & dogs will not help anything except make the town of Manly crappier because their population will be down. I have Pitbulls & have worked around dogs for years. It’s the way they are CURRENTLY treated that makes a dog’s behavior makeup, not the past, not the genetic makeup. Get your facts straight & stop believing the media hype on everything. And to whoever saw a dog being abused & didn’t report it, you are an awful person.

4ever49 Reply Report comment

January 7, 2013 at 11:21 am

Mrs S – so the problem in Denver is not the breed per se, but large dogs. How about prohibiting all dogs over 40 pounds?

MrsS Reply Report comment

January 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Yeah right, I like big dogs & know a lot of people who do also. How about leash laws for all breeds? Then no one would have to worry about dogs loose. Any regulation needs to be for ALL breeds, not just one, that’s complete discrimination.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 3, 2013 at 8:15 am

I almost wish they were banned in Mason City as well except thatwould really make my neighbor mad and her dogs are well trained. I saw a guy just yesterday who was probably not from around here who had a Pit Bull on a leash and was hitting and kicking the dog to make him mean right in the street. I have seen other people doing the same thing when walking the dogs. All those dogs have to do is get loose and someone gets hurt. Is it the dogs fault? No. But the result is the same. Just like registering guns, we need to register dogs.

4ever49 Reply Report comment

January 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

So if we register guns and dogs, both will simply be safe until a nut job uses them? Hope someone tells the dog.
      I do think banning pit bulls is a good idea.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 3, 2013 at 9:10 am

@4ever49-I was just being a wiseguy with that comment. I don’t think registering the dog will do anything and registering the owners won’t prevent the dog attacking. Just like registering a gun won’t prevent it being used to commit a crime. I hate to see anything banned as that does not solve the problem but just kicks the can down the road just like our senate.

4ever49 Reply Report comment

January 3, 2013 at 11:30 am

LVS – my detection meter must be at low ebb!
      Agree on comment re: Senate and cans down the road.

Katie Reply Report comment

January 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm

You saw a guy hitting and kicking a dog and you didn’t call the cops? Did you whip out a camera and take video? You didn’t do anything?

Just My Opinion Reply Report comment

January 3, 2013 at 8:02 am

Hats off to the mayor and council in Manly for protecting their citizens BEFORE something happens.

dogonit Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 9:33 pm

two kinds of pits
    those that have inflicted damage
    and those that eventually will
    keep the ban in place

My Voice Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm

AMEN!

Sniff, Sniff…”but it’s all in how they are raised” (cough) bullshit!