Buenneke, a sophomore from Hazelton, Iowa, has been one of the top runners in NJCAA cross country and track and field the past two years. She will leave NIACC as at least a two-time indoor track NJCAA champion, an All-American in at least four track events, a two-time cross country All-American, a two-time Region XI Cross Country Champion, a two-time Region XI Runner of the Year award winner, and with 16 school records.
She was also an All-American in the 2010 NJCAA Half-marathon.
Buenneke placed first as a freshman in the 3000- and 5000-meter runs at the 2011 NJCAA National Indoor Track and Field Championships. She has followed that up with a second at the NJCAA National Cross Country Championships last fall and three top-five finishes at the 2012 NJCAA Indoor Championships earlier this month.
She could still add to her NJCAA and Region XI awards with the outdoor regional championships in April and the NJCAA Outdoor National Championships coming up in May.
Iowa State’s women’s cross country team won the Big XII Conference title this past fall, and placed seventh at the NCAA National Championships. Track and field placed 10th at the indoor nationals on March 10.
Buenneke’s NIACC career by the numbers:
– Two-time NJCAA Indoor Track and Field National Champion (3000-and 5000-meters in 2011)
– Second place finish at the 2011 NJCAA Cross Country Championships, eighth at 2010 championships
– Second in mile at 2011 NJCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships
– Two-time NJCAA All-American for Cross Country (1st team in 2011, 2nd team in 2010)
– NJCAA All-American at 2011 NJCAA Outdoor National Championships for 10,000-meters and 4×800-meter relay
– NJCAA All-American in the 2010 NJCAA Half-marathon
– Six-time U.S. Citizen All-American in track (4 in 2011, 2 in 2012 so far)
– Two-time U.S. Citizen All-American in cross country
– 14th-place finish in the 5000 at the 2011 USA Junior Outdoor Track and Field Championships
– Holds 12 NIACC track and field records, and 4k, 5k, 6k, and half-marathon records for Cross County
– Two-time Region XI Cross Country Champion
– Two-time Region XI Runner of the Year
– Two-time 1st-Team Region XI selection