News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
Now is the time to build your NEW WEBSITE.
Visit the pro's at Breakthrough Web Design.
Serving numerous local businesses.
• Founded 2010

Derr deals drugs, arrested on NIACC campus, gets suspended sentence

This news story was published on July 24, 2012.

On Tuesday, July 24th, North Iowa Area Community College President Debra Derr accompanied her son, 20-year-old, Brennan Robert Derr, to his sentencing hearing for his part in distribution of cocaine and marijuana following an investigation into NIACC student’s drug distribution activities by local law enforcement.

Brennan Derr was detained by local law enforcement on NIACC’s campus along with three others on January 17th for illegal drug distribution activities following the investigation. A fifth man later turned himself in at the Mason City Police Department.

Brennan Derr was accused of delivery of marijuana on August 15th, 2011 before being accused of delivery of cocaine on August 23rd and again delivering cocaine on September 27th, 2011.

Brennan had initially pled not guilty to the accusations but entered into a negotiated voluntary plea agreement on May 24th, just 5 days before a scheduled trial. As part of the plea agreement one class C felony count of delivery of cocaine and one class D felony count of delivery of marijuana were dismissed.

At the scheduled sentencing hearing on Tuesday presiding District Court Judge Colleen D. Weiland sentenced Brennan to 10 years in prison and a $1,000 fine before suspending both the prison term and fine. Instead of prison, Derr will serve 2 to 4 years of probation with the Iowa Department of Corrections and have a Class C felony for delivery of a controlled substance remain on his criminal record.

Brennan Derr was unable to receive a deferred judgment in the case after a previous deferred judgment for possession of a controlled substance was revoked after Derr violated probation in that case.

Brennan Derr

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave your comment:

48 Responses to Derr deals drugs, arrested on NIACC campus, gets suspended sentence

1. Joe Reply Report comment

July 29, 2012 at 10:37 am

BULLSH*T!!! This is not his first offense. He should NOT have been given a suspended sentence, a little slap on the wrist. I guess it helps to have connections.

2. Pauly Ho Reply Report comment

July 27, 2012 at 6:51 am

I like the looks of those bicycle reflectors that Derr dude has in his ears. Makes him look like a real bad guy.

And then P.L. has to be here running his flaps about dope as always. You guys were right about him not staying away like he said he would. Where I come from if people tell you one thing then do another we call them liars. You seen his website — its a joke and will fold up in the future.

3. My Voice Reply Report comment

July 26, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I do not use drugs other than the ones my Dr. gives me to keep my blood pressure in check, but I do find it funny how hypocritical this whole drug debate is. Everyone wants to think of druggies as the porch monkey types that hang out on the North End and they totally forget about the high class, big money, fortune 500 types that use drugs just the same. Fact of the matter is…most ALL of us use drugs. Alcohol IS a drug folks. And I use it. At one time the government said WHOA, wait a minute….we should ban this alcohol stuff. And thus, the prohibition. So at that time, in the government’s mind and most of the rest of us, saw alcohol and marijuana as the same class of taboo. Then the government figured out that people were going to use it anyway so let’s just make alcohol legal and tax it. All of the sudden, alcohol became socially acceptable. WHY? Cause the government told us it was ok? Are YOU ok with that? Do you trust the government? Really? So when the GOVERNMENT tells you it is bad and makes it illegal, it’s socially unacceptable, but then when the GOVERNMENT tells you it’s ok and makes it LEGAL then all of the sudden is socially acceptable and no longer taboo. Ok, well look at the statistics of alcohol related deaths. So the government is still right….right? Well, they made it LEGAL so what does all the alcohol related deaths matter? It DOESN’T?! Well, that’s what YOU are saying when you drink and drive. Go ahead…be honest…how many of you have drink and drive? You were ok with it THEN. How come? Hmm. I know I have driven after I drank. I don’t see that many other hand up! So why was it ok then? Point is…the war on drugs will never be won. Why? Because MANY more people than just the North End porch monkey type use them regardless of a law against them. And don’t try to be holier than thou…drinking and driving is JUST AS ILLEGAL as smoking a joint. So the war rages on and always will. Why? Because sheep really aren’t that smart of an animal and they are hypocrites…but, only in the closet of course. We still want to put on this “good image”. Think of what we would realize if we were to start being honest with…ourselves. We’d realize that even Peter Children is part of the problem. Or that…there really isn’t a problem other than US.

• anonymous Reply Report comment

July 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm

My hand is up. I have made many bad decisions in my life and thankfully no one was hurt from my stupidity. You are correct people look down their noses at pot smokers just because its illegal while they pound down a whiskey right after taking twice as many Loritabs the doctor prescribed.

• My Voice Reply Report comment

July 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Yup. Funny isn’t it? What we deem acceptable and what we don’t. We are ALL such hypocrites.

• My Voice Reply Report comment

July 26, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hypocrasy, It’s everywhere. I have come to realize that most people tend to think that no matter what they’re doing, it’s OK or different if THEY do it. Ever notice that? Just look around….you’ll notice it. THEN, maybe…just maybe, you’ll notice YOU doin it too.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m a hypocrite. Anyone else got the courage to admit it too?

• Katie Reply Report comment

July 26, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Yup, I was as young and as stupid as anyone. They don’t call it liquid dumb for nothing. Thank goodness I smartened up and quit driving after drinking before anything happened. But I never used illegal drugs. If alcohol had been illegal, I wouldn’t have drunk that, either. I’ve never gotten a speeding ticket or any other fine.
      Yes, I take Lortabs for chronic pain – fewer than the prescribed dose. I’ve been taking them for over seventeen years and I’ve never become addicted to them. Not everyone does. I do occasionally drink alcohol, but never more than 2 and that’s rarely more than a couple times a month. I don’t drink to get buzzed any more. I actually don’t like that feeling. There are a couple specialty drinks I truly enjoy at different restaurants.

It all comes down to maturing and somehow finally understanding personal responsibility. Some figure it out sooner than others. Parents need to teach it. Schools need to have young motivational speakers talk to students about what happens when you ignore it. There should be visits to rehab centers and morgues for offenders. Nothing will work for psychopaths who have no conscience or empathy.

• My Voice Reply Report comment

July 27, 2012 at 6:32 am

“It all comes down to maturing and somehow finally understanding personal responsibility.”

Amen, Katie. This is exactly what I’m talking about. It DOES NOT come down the the government’s ultimate wisdom, I’ll tell you that. And anyone that believes it does via the whole “legality” standpoint, isn’t being honest with themselves.

• Sue Smith Reply Report comment

July 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Really Katie? You’ve been taking Lortab for 17 years but you’re not addicted? That’s funny.

• Katie Reply Report comment

July 28, 2012 at 12:01 am

No, I’m not physically addicted to Lortabs. I’m on a low dose and I don’t feel high or anything when I take them. If I were addicted, my use would have been escalating.I would not be able to go longer than 6 hours without a pill. I commonly go 12-18 hours daily without taking one. Most addicts are constantly needing larger and larger doses and have withdrawal symptoms if they don’t take the pills regularly. Also, they get addicted in a very short time, have multiple prescribers, buy on the street, are skinny, crush the pills for a high, and all sorts of crap. I may be dependent on them for pain relief, but I am not physically addicted to them. That doesn’t always happen if you have chronic pain. Read this link. It verifies that not everyone becomes addicted: