NEW YORK – Another member of Yankee royalty will be leaving the game.
Derek Jeter announced that his 20th season of playing major league baseball will be his last. He has amassed over 3,000 hits, 13 all star appearances and 5 world titles.
Jeter, 39, said via Facebook Wednesday that “The one thing I always said to myself was that when baseball started to feel more like a job, it would be time to move forward,” Jeter said. “So really it was months ago when I realized that this season would likely be my last.”
Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig issued this statement regarding Jeter’s announcement:
“In the 21-plus years in which I have served as Commissioner, Major League Baseball has had no finer ambassador than Derek Jeter. Since his championship rookie season of 1996, Derek has represented all the best of the National Pastime on and off the field. He is one of the most accomplished and memorable players of his — or any — era.
“Derek is the kind of person that generations have emulated proudly, and he remains an exemplary face of our sport. Major League Baseball looks forward to celebrating his remarkable career throughout the 2014 season.”
Jeter’s long-time teammates Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera retired last year with emotional send-offs.
Jeter played his entire career with the Yankees.
“As I came to this conclusion and shared it with my friends and family, they all told me to hold off saying anything until I was absolutely 100 percent sure,” Jeter said. “And the thing is, I could not be more sure. I know it in my heart. I want to soak in every moment of every day this year, so I can remember it for the rest of my life. And most importantly, I want to help the Yankees reach our goal of winning another championship.”