CHICAGO, May 14 (UPI) — A former cable TV repairman in Chicago convicted of raping and strangling a young woman faces a life sentence and trial for a second killing.
A jury found Anthony Triplett guilty late Monday of the murder of Urszula Sakowska, 23, in December 2006. During the trial, jurors also heard evidence about the killing of Janice Ordidge, 39, seven weeks earlier, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Both women’s bodies were found in their bathtubs. Investigators said Triplett attacked them during visits to their apartments to make repairs.
Both Assistant State’s Attorney Brian Sexton and Triplett lawyer Jack Rimland used the two crimes as arguments. Sexton pointed to the similarities in the two killings and the coincidence that Triplett had been sent to both of their homes by Premier Cable Communications, a Comcast subcontractor.
Rimland argued Triplett would not have killed Sakowska when his client was already a suspect in the Ordidge killing: “Under the circumstances, knowing he is under such close scrutiny, does it really make sense that this man would go out and leave his calling card a second time?”
Sexton said sarcastically Triplett was “the unluckiest man in the galaxy” to have two women die after he went to their apartments, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Triplett, 32, faces life in prison with no parole when he is sentenced next month.
Grzegorz Magiera, Sakowska’s fiance, has sued Comcast and Premier for continuing to send Triplett on calls after the companies allegedly knew he was a suspect in the Ordidge killing.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI).