Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Founded October 1, 2010


Judge rejects new restrictions for attorneys at Guantanamo Bay



This news story was published on September 8, 2012.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

By Michael Doyle, McClatchy Newspapers –

WASHINGTON — Using strong words, a federal judge has rejected the Obama administration’s efforts to change the rules under which Guantanamo Bay detainees are represented by lawyers.

Denouncing what he called “an illegitimate exercise of executive power,” U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth said in his 32-page ruling that an existing 2008 court order will continue to guide detainees’ access to counsel, even in cases where there is not an active habeas corpus petition.

“It is clear that the government had no legal authority to unilaterally impose a counsel-access regime, let alone one that would render detainees’ access to counsel illusory,” Lamberth wrote.

The Obama administration had sought to impose a new requirement that detainees’ attorneys sign a “memorandum of understanding” in order to meet with their clients. Six detainees challenged the new requirement, which covers those who no longer have an active or pending habeas petition.

Lamberth also delivered a sharp assessment of the overall Guantanamo detention picture, stating:

“It is a sad reality that in the 10 years since the first detainees were brought to Guantanamo Bay not a single one has been fully tried or convicted of any crime. Despite this, the government has fought to deny detainees the ability to challenge their indefinite detentions through habeas proceedings. In a litany of rulings, this court and the Supreme Court have affirmed that the federal courts are open to Guantanamo detainees who wish to prove that their indefinite detentions are illegal.”

The memorandum of understanding, Lamberth said, strips attorneys of their “need to know” designations, and explicitly denies counsel access to all classified documents or information that attorneys had “previously obtained or created” in pursuit of a detainee’s habeas petition. Lawyers can obtain access to their own classified work product only if they can justify their need for such information.

“At its heart,” Lamberth wrote, “this case is about whether the executive or the court is charged with protecting habeas petitioners’ right to access their counsel.”

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
515-897-1144
or go to
BreakthoughWebDesign.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available

3 Responses to Judge rejects new restrictions for attorneys at Guantanamo Bay

  1. al duitman Reply Report comment

    September 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm

    These animals are POWs. When the war is over they can be tried for war crimes.

    • Anonymous Reply Report comment

      September 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm

      these people are detainees. they have not been tried or convicted. so how do we know they have done anything wrong. that’s why we have courts, to decide guilt or innocence. just because they were detained does not automatically mean they are guilty. ten years is a long time to keep someone in prison just because a country decided to turn its back on its own constitution.

  2. Ripley Reply Report comment

    September 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

    Good for Judge Lamberth.