MASON CITY – City Hall in Mason City will close to the public starting Monday, January 31 to allow for lobby security renovations. The renovation project is expected to take 6-8 weeks to complete, and City Hall will likely be ready to reopen in late March.
During this closure, all floors of the City Hall building will be closed to the public, and access to all departments in the facility will be available by appointment only. City staff will continue to provide services to the public electronically, by phone or mail and by appointments made in advance. A department and staff list is available at https://www.masoncity.net/staff.aspx?id=17987&catid=482.
The Utility Billing counter inside City Hall will be closed.
For payment of City utility bills, options during this closure include:
- ACH (Automated Clearing House) and e-check automatic bill payments will continue as regularly scheduled;
- Payments can be made online at www.masoncity.net, click the ‘Utility Payments’ circle icon;
- Checks can be mailed to: Utility Billing, City Hall, 10 First Street NW, Mason City, IA 50401; or
- Payments can be dropped at the drop box located just west of City Hall or in the slot in the City Hall building just east of the front doors.
Single use sanitation stickers will not be available to purchase at City Hall and instead will be available at area stores for purchase.
Bus passes will not be available for purchase until the reopen date. Mason City Transit services will be free of charge during this closure.
Animal License payment options include:
- Payment along with the proof of rabies vaccine can be dropped at one of the two drop boxes: one located just west of City Hall and the other located just to the east of the City Hall main doors
- The cost for the license is $10/year for an altered pet and $50/year for an unaltered pet
- The license and proof of rabies vaccine will be mailed to you
During this period of closure, staff will be available by phone for regular business. Updates on construction are available by texting “MC Lobby” to 91896 from any text-enabled mobile phone.
Work to be completed will include public health, safety and security improvements, staff workstation improvements, and addition of a conference room.