High dose flu vaccine available for seniors
MASON CITY – The Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health has received their first round of high dose flu vaccine. This vaccine is for citizens 65 years and older.
The high dose flu vaccine is four times stronger than a regular flu shot. Older age often results in weaker human immune defense that can place those 65 and over at an increased risk of illness. The increased strength in the vaccine allows older people to develop a better immune response and better protect themselves against the flu and the complications it can carry with it.
The cost of the high dose flu vaccine is $41.00. The Health Department offers various payment options.
- Individuals can purchase the vaccine at full cost on the day of the clinic.
- The Health Department also accepts most major health insurances. With insurance, no money is collected at the time of the vaccination; services are billed directly to insurance. Any remaining balance is billed to the client after insurance has paid for its portion of the service. The Health Department accepts the following insurances:
- Wellmark (Blue Cross, Blue Shield)
- Midland’s Choice
- Coventry Healthcare of Iowa
- North Iowa Community Health Care
- Medicare Part B
The Immunization Clinic is open Monday – Friday from 10:00 AM – Noon and 12:30 – 4:00 PM. No appointment necessary.